Thread: Zion Area Canyons in May

Zion Area Canyons in May

I'm looking to take a few beginners (they have a few canyons under their belts) to do a canyon or two in May. Most of us have done the following canyons and i'm looking to your advice for more options along those lines.

Yankee Doodle
    Echo
    Fat Mans
    Key Hole
    Subway

I'm thinking something along the lines or Pine creek or mystery (If we get lucky enough to get a permit.)

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

- DOH! -

(post removed)
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 03-22-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Did not read question completely.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    I'm looking to take a few beginners (they have a few canyons under their belts) to do a canyon or two in May. Most of us have done the following canyons and i'm looking to your advice for more options along those lines.

Yankee Doodle
    Echo
    Fat Mans
    Key Hole
    Subway

I'm thinking something along the lines or Pine creek or mystery (If we get lucky enough to get a permit.)

Thanks
    Just go and find out ;)

With as little of snow we had this year there shouldn't be problems with any canyons by May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe i didn't make it clear those are the canyons we have done, we would like to try something new that's in line with those as far as difficulty. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Maybe i didn't make it clear those are the canyons we have done, we would like to try something new that's in line with those as far as difficulty. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    I misread your original post. I'll take a second stab at it.

Pine Creek and Mystery are good ideas. I'd add Birch Hollow to your list.

Behunin and Telephone seem like reasonable options too (I have not done them, so not 100% certain if they are good during May).
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I misread your original post. I'll take a second stab at it.

Pine Creek and Mystery are good ideas. I'd add Birch Hollow to your list.

Behunin and Telephone seem like reasonable options too (I have not done them, so not 100% certain if they are good during May).
    Thanks for your input any suggestions regarding Spry?

There are multiple threads, trip reports, posts, etc with even a little bit of research.

Also websites such as:
    CanyoneeringUSA
    Bluugnome
    Climb-Utah

That being said in no particular order:
    Mystery
    Pine creek
    Behunin
    Hidden
    Birch
    Walker
    Dead eye dick
    Spry
    Cherry
    Jolley
    Lower Refrigerator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input any suggestions regarding Spry?
    I think Spry is a step up from the others (not a huge step). There are opportunities to stick ropes. Getting to some of the anchors is tricky.

Also, it would be a slow-going route with newbies. Very slow = not fun, at least for me.

I'd choose a different adventure with the group you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I think Spry is a step up from the others (not a huge step). There are opportunities to stick ropes. Getting to some of the anchors is tricky.

Also, it would be a slow-going route with newbies. Very slow = not fun, at least for me.

I'd choose a different adventure with the group you are describing.
    Thanks for your advice, I've never done Spry so i learn on others like yourself for the knowledge. I'm confident in my skills just depends I guess on they others i chose to bring. That being said if we chose to go with a small group and do spry what are your thoughts one the wet-suit? I've read and seen videos of both from may through June. With this same group we did Echo in June with no wet-suites and were super glad we didn't bring the extra weight.

With competent leadership it generally shouldn't matter who you take as they have basic skills and knowledge. I know of several people whose first canyons were Imlay or Heaps.

Thanks for your advice, I've never done Spry so i learn on others like yourself for the knowledge. I'm confident in my skills just depends I guess on they others i chose to bring. That being said if we chose to go with a small group and do spry what are your thoughts one the wet-suit? I've read and seen videos of both from may through June. With this same group we did Echo in June with no wet-suites and were super glad we didn't bring the extra weight.
    I did spry in mid April last year and it was fine without a wetsuit. You should check out candition.com. You can go back and look at previous comments from the months you are looking to go. Things can change from year to year obviously but it will give you a good idea.

We did Spry in October, the day after a huge storm. The canyon was full to the brim. We didn't bring wetsuits, but wish we had. It was the coldest I've ever been in a canyon.

That being said, 'full' conditions seem unusual for Spry, so you probably won't need a wetsuit. Ask around just to be safe.

And WOW! Echo in June without a wetsuit? Brrrrr...

I took a group through Spry last Saturday. The previous times we did Spry were in high summer and no wetsuits were taken or needed. This time we all took full suits and put them on above the first rap. There was a trickle of snow melt flowing throughout the canyon and we were glad to have them on as the day was cool and mostly in the shade.

You don't really have to get wet above the knees until the final raps and slot section. It's a swimmer right now but who knows how deep it will be in two months. Check conditions the week before the trip and decide then.