Size:  15.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Guilty as charged.
    Name:  douchebag-300x222&#46.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  15.8 KB

I've been watching the forums for some time but decided to comment on this because I've just watched my umpteenth Peter Lik promo commercial on the Weather Channel (when I was actually trying to see the weather, but still haven't). These are just my personal opinions as someone who's been into photography since I was about 12 (I'm 46 now). I sell images on stock sites and have sold some through a couple of local shops, done a few weddings (ick), but I don't like to title myself as "photographer" as it's not my primary source of income. (background finished).

That being said, I asked a friend of mine who is from Australia what she thinks about Mr. Lik. In her opinion, he's is a very talented photographer, who is also an expert at three things that make America roll: Looks, Marketing, and our fascination with "anything Australian". She thinks he's over-umphing his accent a good bit, playing up to the ladies and gay men who she knows drools over his always-exposed arms, and taking advantage of anything he can get out of capitalism in America. Her words, and she added, "Hey, it's all Hollywood, and if he figured out how to milk the cow, good for him". Apparently though, sales of his images were so poor in his native Australia, he closed shop there but per the Aussie fascination here, he's doing very very well in the States. On a personal, and "nothing to do with photography" note, she said she has heard strong rumors from her gay friends he's active in the gay party circuit, but then she's also heard he's a bit of a right-winger too - so toss a coin on that one.

My personal opinion: I know my way around cameras and have for quite some time. I'm not willing however, to teeter on the edge of a volcano, nor am I going to dangle from a helicopter or walk through 25 degree weather wearing a sleeveless shirt for 3 hours. So on that note, I guess I would say Mr. Lik is a better photographer than I, as I'm not willing to put myself in the extreme conditions that yes, sometimes you do need to get into in order to get the "money shot". He's also obviously a much more devoted person when it comes to the business and marketing side of things than I am, so in that regard too, he gets the A+. Do I think he loves himself an awful lot? Yes. Do I think he overhypes himself? Perhaps. Do I think he's a talented photographer? Yes. Do I think any photograph is worth 1 million dollars? No - unless it proves that alien life exists or that Sarah Palin is indeed, an Alien. And finally, do I now hate the Weather Channel because I can no longer actually see the WEATHER on it?? YES.

Ok. Done. Sorry my first post is a lecture and two months since this thread was last active. I just wanted to comment on him since I just saw the 114th commercial for his show. LOL

nice first post atlantaguy. good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post

nice first post atlantaguy. good stuff.
    Hey, I'm just glad I didn't post a link to my portfolio. That iceman guy might have told me how bad my stuff is. LOL.

Jelousy is such an ugly thing. I am happy that Peter Lik is enjoying fantastic success. Wishing him anything less is simply petty.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

I've done my fair share of hobbyist stuff as well. I've done weddings and family portraits professionally, too. It's not my main source of income either. But I have to say, anyone that has a talent and works hard to get somewhere deserves whatever they get. He's not a reality star, famous for nothing. Angie's List has reviews for photographers. Are we going to shun them too? People have to eat. He's very talented. Who cares what he's done to get big? He got there. Good for him.
    Last edited by WoodNewb; 04-14-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typos
    Hard to update facebook statuses outdoors, but I manage.

Who's Peter Lik?.
    I canceled my cable a few years ago, so no commercials on the weather channel.
    He must be a decent photographer if he can convince some shmuck to fork over a million dollars.

I just took a look at his blog. Beautiful photo.
    But what is truly gut wrenching is his description of his singular moment, or something to that effect. All photographs are singular moments, aren't they?

He is definately a master of self-promotion, as is the case with many of the most succesful people (i.e. Donald Trump, Richard branson). I am not a photography expert so I cannot comment on the quality of his work over others or vice versa. I have been to one of his galleries before and must say his work is impressive, regardless of how cliche some of his shots may be. I guess he has the perfect combination of photography and marketing skills. Now days marketing seems to outweigh talent in most things. Lots of people take excellent photos, very few can market their work or themselves to rise to the top, so I commend him for that.