Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: birch 6-5-07

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by smcqueen
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    [color=white]I have heard some whispers of something called Wild Wind Hollow and it usually has that along with it.

I think Bo mentioned that when we did it, but it just seemed so easy to set up 2 vehicles and exit the way we did.
    I can well imagine that would be easier. Exiting down Orderville, even though making for a long day, is easier than Wild Wind and also has the virtue of being a very scenic route, whereas Wild Wind Hollow looks more like a trip through Mordor--except that you would be grateful for the Nazgul to come along and fly you out! I can even imagine it would be easier to leave fixed ropes and do Birch Hollow "caver style" than to exit Wild Wind Hollow!

Did I mention that I really dislike the Wild Wind Hollow exit?

I am getting the idea that Wild Wind Hollow is not the way to go. It was just a short distance, or perhaps seemed short since it was so pretty, to exit how we did. There was this rock though.... with just enough water spilling on both sides to get us good and wet! The downfall is that you do need 2 vehicles. I guess if you don't you have to do the Wild thing or head for the Narrows.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    the end of the road in orderville (Turnaround)is approx. 1 mile from where birch dumps into orderville, just past(Upstream)from where you went up wild wind is 1 hill the rest is flat streambed.
    And I definitely wish we had gone that way! We would have had to walk the road back to the Birch Hollow entrance to get to the car, but it would have been far less pain!
    Stan
    ====================
    Photography by Stan McQueen
    http://www.smcqueen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Gosh.... Wild Wind Hollow is just like the noob version of the MIA. If you like Wild Wind you'll love the MIA.
    Yeah, thanks. I haven't tried any of canyons that use the MIA exit yet. After bivying in Wild Wind, I'm really looking forward to MIA.
    MIA! Bo and I loved it! It was our escape from the Mountain Lion hanging out in Kolob.

You have to tell us your bivy story!
    It was a couple of summers ago. I took my son-in-law, Jared, and granddaughter, Kelsea (13 at the time), to do Birch Hollow. We got a late start from home and didn't reach the Birch Hollow trailhead until around noon. Then, even though she'd been through vertical training with me, Kelsea was very slow about getting on rope. For example, she would cry, "We're all going to die!" for several minutes before we could coax her over the edge and most of the raps. Well, the upshot was that, by the time we reached Orderville it was getting late. Through lack of experience and poor judgement, we decided to go up Wild Wind Hollow instead of Orderville (it was closer ) Unfortunately, as those of you who have been up Wild Wind know, it's also much tougher! As it began to get dark, we sent Jared, who was in training for the Logan marathon rushing ahead to get the truck and bring it up to Wild Wind so we wouldn't have to walk so far. Even more unfortunately, he took the water with him! By the time it was full dark, we couldn't see more than a few feet through the thick brush even with my headlamp. Being concerned about walking off a cliff or tripping over a root and breaking an ankle in the dark, I finally declared a stop and bivy. Naturally, we had absolutely no gear for a forced bivy. Luckily, it wasn't cold, maybe 68 or so at the coldest. We spent a very uncomfortable night, taunted by the information from my GPS that we were less than half a mile (as the crow flies) from the exit. (Kelsea actually slept, but that girl can sleep anywhere!) We started moving at first light and it took another hour and a half to travel that half a mile. We were very happy to spot Jared coming to find us with a couple of quarts of Gatorade! Later on, we figured out that if had kept to our original plan and exited up Orderville we could have probably reached the road before dark. From there it would have been only a short road walk to the truck.

After that experience, I now carry an emergency kit with space blankets, fire starters, and emergency food and water.

The next time I did Birch Hollow, we exited down Orderville for a very scenic route. I still haven't done the up Orderville exit, but I probably will soon.
    Stan
    ====================

Gosh.... Wild Wind Hollow is just like the noob version of the MIA. If you like Wild Wind you'll love the MIA.
    Yeah, thanks. I haven't tried any of canyons that use the MIA exit yet. After bivying in Wild Wind, I'm really looking forward to MIA.
    MIA! Bo and I loved it! It was our escape from the Mountain Lion hanging out in Kolob.

You have to tell us your bivy story!
    Speaking of Cougars/Mountain Lions. We had one run right across in front of us going to Das Boot on Memorial Day, I do have a pic, but has to be high res, and blown up a little, since my point and shoot could not zoom in close enough. He/She just stopped and looked at us for a few seconds and then dissappeared.

[color=white]I have heard some whispers of something called Wild Wind Hollow and it usually has that along with it.

I think Bo mentioned that when we did it, but it just seemed so easy to set up 2 vehicles and exit the way we did.
    I can well imagine that would be easier. Exiting down Orderville, even though making for a long day, is easier than Wild Wind and also has the virtue of being a very scenic route, whereas Wild Wind Hollow looks more like a trip through Mordor--except that you would be grateful for the Nazgul to come along and fly you out! I can even imagine it would be easier to leave fixed ropes and do Birch Hollow "caver style" than to exit Wild Wind Hollow!

I am getting the idea that Wild Wind Hollow is not the way to go. It was just a short distance, or perhaps seemed short since it was so pretty, to exit how we did. There was this rock though.... with just enough water spilling on both sides to get us good and wet! The downfall is that you do need 2 vehicles. I guess if you don't you have to do the Wild thing or head for the Narrows.

I don't remember that boulder in Wild Wind Hollow. Or you go up Orderville to the corral then to the road to the trailhead of Birch Hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    I don't remember that boulder in Wild Wind Hollow. Or you go up Orderville to the corral then to the road to the trailhead of Birch Hollow.
    Those pix are not from Wild Wind Hollow. They are from Orderville between Birch Hollow and the Narrows. Near the Park Boundary if I'm recalling correctly.
    Stan
    ====================

For the record.... we saw a bear in Wild Wind Hollow.

Those pix are not from Wild Wind Hollow. They are from Orderville between Birch Hollow and the Narrows. Near the Park Boundary if I'm recalling correctly.
    Before or after Englestead comes in?

Bogley BigShot

That boulder is in Orderville Canyon --- going the opposite way as you would to exit via the Zion Narrows.

Recently?

A year or so ago, my wife and I went on one of the ranger-led shuttle trips, where they give an entertaining and educational talk about Zion. The ranger mentioned that she used to tell people that Zion had most of the wildlife indigenous to the southwest, except for bears. "But," she said, "just a few weeks ago, the ranger at the west end of the tunnel was getting ready to leave for the evening when she saw a black bear amble out of the tunnel, head across the road, and disappear into the brush. So now we can add bears to the list." Luckily, there was no traffic. Wonder how long it takes a bear to walk through the tunnel?
    Stan
    ====================

That boulder is in Orderville Canyon --- going the opposite way as you would to exit via the Zion Narrows.
    Before or after Englestead comes in? If after, I don't remember climbing over it.

Before or after Englestead comes in? If after, I don't remember climbing over it.
    Tanya...these photos are of when we hiked Englestead Canyon with Dean. The boulder picture with Dean standing atop is between Englestead and Birch. If you exit Orderville from the mouth of Birch, you never even see this Boulder. The hike from the mouth of Birch up Orderville is very casual with the exception of the hill to climb on the right (LUC). The walk is not bad to get all the way back to the North Fork Road, just a little long. Beats bushwacking up a steep slope, but then if you don't have 2 vehicles maybe the bushwack makes sense.

Bo,

Makes sense, always went down Orderville after doing Englestead, and always up Orderville after doing Birch Hollow, well except once going up Wild Wind. Something to look forward too or not, about the huge boulder.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Tanya...these photos are of when we hiked Englestead Canyon with Dean. The boulder picture with Dean standing atop is between Englestead and Birch. If you exit Orderville from the mouth of Birch, you never even see this Boulder. The hike from the mouth of Birch up Orderville is very casual with the exception of the hill to climb on the right (LUC). The walk is not bad to get all the way back to the North Fork Road, just a little long. Beats bushwacking up a steep slope, but then if you don't have 2 vehicles maybe the bushwack makes sense.
    Oh yeah... now I remember. It's a good thing you write those trip reports not me.

Bogley BigShot

I guess nothing happened? I have never got to see a bear before!

Bogley BigShot
    It was a couple of summers ago. I took my son-in-law, Jared, and granddaughter, Kelsea (13 at the time), to do Birch Hollow. We got a late start from home and didn't reach the Birch Hollow trailhead until around noon. Then, even though she'd been through vertical training with me, Kelsea was very slow about getting on rope. For example, she would cry, "We're all going to die!" for several minutes before we could coax her over the edge and most of the raps.

I still do that!

Well, the upshot was that, by the time we reached Orderville it was getting late. Through lack of experience and poor judgement, we decided to go up Wild Wind Hollow instead of Orderville (it was closer ) Unfortunately, as those of you who have been up Wild Wind know, it's also much tougher! As it began to get dark, we sent Jared, who was in training for the Logan marathon rushing ahead to get the truck and bring it up to Wild Wind so we wouldn't have to walk so far.

That's Bo's job too.

Even more unfortunately, he took the water with him!

By the time it was full dark, we couldn't see more than a few feet through the thick brush even with my headlamp. Being concerned about walking off a cliff or tripping over a root and breaking an ankle in the dark, I finally declared a stop and bivy. Naturally, we had absolutely no gear for a forced bivy. Luckily, it wasn't cold, maybe 68 or so at the coldest. We spent a very uncomfortable night, taunted by the information from my GPS that we were less than half a mile (as the crow flies) from the exit. (Kelsea actually slept, but that girl can sleep anywhere!) We started moving at first light and it took another hour and a half to travel that half a mile. We were very happy to spot Jared coming to find us with a couple of quarts of Gatorade! Later on, we figured out that if had kept to our original plan and exited up Orderville we could have probably reached the road before dark. From there it would have been only a short road walk to the truck.

After that experience, I now carry an emergency kit with space blankets, fire starters, and emergency food and water.

Good idea.

The next time I did Birch Hollow, we exited down Orderville for a very scenic route. I still haven't done the up Orderville exit, but I probably will soon.

A year or so ago, my wife and I went on one of the ranger-led shuttle trips, where they give an entertaining and educational talk about Zion. The ranger mentioned that she used to tell people that Zion had most of the wildlife indigenous to the southwest, except for bears.
    It was about 5 years ago that we saw the bear. We reported it to Ranger Ray and he mentioned there were a few bear at the higher elevations in the park but not a lot.

This brings me to one of my favorite dumb tourist questions I ask whenever I pay my fee at the toll booth going into Zion or Arches.....

"Where do we go to see the bears?"

Bogley BigShot
    A year or so ago, my wife and I went on one of the ranger-led shuttle trips, where they give an entertaining and educational talk about Zion. The ranger mentioned that she used to tell people that Zion had most of the wildlife indigenous to the southwest, except for bears.
    It was about 5 years ago that we saw the bear. We reported it to Ranger Ray and he mentioned there were a few bear at the higher elevations in the park but not a lot.

This brings me to one of my favorite dumb tourist questions I ask whenever I pay my fee at the toll booth going into Zion or Arches.....

"Where do we go to see the bears?"

That is really dumb

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    same rock this year--
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    Recently?

A year or so ago, my wife and I went on one of the ranger-led shuttle trips, where they give an entertaining and educational talk about Zion. The ranger mentioned that she used to tell people that Zion had most of the wildlife indigenous to the southwest, except for bears. "But," she said, "just a few weeks ago, the ranger at the west end of the tunnel was getting ready to leave for the evening when she saw a black bear amble out of the tunnel, head across the road, and disappear into the brush. So now we can add bears to the list." Luckily, there was no traffic. Wonder how long it takes a bear to walk through the tunnel?

I am jealous! I want to see a bear.

When I am inside a safe vehicle with the windows up .