Thread: Where is the closest play to go Canyoneering to Salt Lake / Utah County?

Where is the closest play to go Canyoneering to Salt Lake / Utah County?

Anyone know where the closest places are to the Provo / Salt Lake area to go Canyoneering? I want to do more but can't make it to Zion until next month.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, it depends on what kind of fix you need. Mountains? The Great White Icicle is fun. Rocky Mouth looks fun.

Sandstone? The Swell is the closest good stuff.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...nyoneering-Map
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Thanks Slot Machine.

What about cool rappels closer than 2 hours? Any suggestions?

Ditto on Great White Icicle, just did it for the first time this week and really enjoyed it.

If you're looking for a fun practice area, there is a picnic area up Diamond Fork Canyon that has several bolts to anchor off of for a rappel. There is also an arch that you can rappel next to, or off the top of. Not canyoneering, but a very pretty area, and a great place to go if you just need to get on a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by ewestesen View Post
    If you're looking for a fun practice area, there is a picnic area up Diamond Fork Canyon that has several bolts to anchor off of for a rappel. There is also an arch that you can rappel next to, or off the top of. Not canyoneering, but a very pretty area, and a great place to go if you just need to get on a rope.

Do you have GPS coordinates or directions? That sounds great.

I'm pretty sure this is what @ewestesen is referring too. The place is called The Red Ledges and is very popular with youth groups and SAR trains there occasionally. Some very fun rappels and we go there quite a lot.

The coordinates are:
    40.079886,-111.403594

8. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    We hit up bridal veil and stewart falls. Pretty fun wet rappels. There's a few other areas of Provo canyon I'm going to check out in the next few weeks too. Not the same as some nice sandstone slots, but better than nothing when you can't get down south.
    - Gavin

10. Likes rclimb liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Thanks Slot Machine.

What about cool rappels closer than 2 hours? Any suggestions?
    How about the SLC Library?

Or the Grand America?

And look at that technique!

12. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    That's the one! Red Ledges!

14. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Red Ledges is where I go quite a bit to practice. It is a popular place and you will often find scout groups there. There are bolts all over to anchor from. It is only about 15 minutes from Spanish Fork. Also a great place to take your wife so she can practice on some various rappels. there are a few free air raps, and a few wall raps.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

16. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    We hit up bridal veil and stewart falls. Pretty fun wet rappels.
    @ghawk- How hard was it to do Bridal Veil? Where do you anchor in?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    @ghawk - How hard was it to do Bridal Veil? Where do you anchor in?
    Not a good place for beginners. When people are confident in their rappelling I would hit up the lower Bridal Veil falls and see how people do. The upper falls is a lot of fun too, but it's a bit of a scramble to get to and you need a rope longer than 200 feet to get to the bottom (you can get partway down and maybe set up another anchor for the last little bit without too much trouble, but otherwise you would need about 225 feet I think). Usually there is some webbing wrapped around some bushes or trees there, but you would want to check it out pretty well before you used it. Again, neither are good beginner areas and Stewart requires more commitment.
    - Gavin