Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map

The Super Amazing Canyoneering Map now lives on my blog.

Click here to use the interactive map and download the newest version.

I encourage every canyoneer to freely share their knowledge without reservation.

Bob Allan

Last edited by Slot Machine; 07-19-2016 at 10:57 PM.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This map has been approved by Bogley. We value the free flow of information and beta. Bogley encourages members to contribute to this thread in a positive manner, all negative comments or attacks will be moved to a separate thread.

Blog Entries
    Quite a few locations there! Beta and Maps are two different things. People will disagree, however. And personally, I'm okay with a map like this. People can know where the trailhead is - however, how many rappels, potholes, lengths, difficult, mae-westing, etc. is an entirely different beast (which isn't provided here).

It will be interesting to see how the community reacts.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

5. Likes zzyzx liked this post
    I like it.
    Who? Me? Biased? Naah

Did you try your data file as a KML?
    Doing so would let people zoom in and then click Menu ==> Label On/Off
    All the names would then appear on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I like it.
    Who? Me? Biased? Naah
    Are you the same Joseph that designed Gmap4?

If so, your software rocks.

Would you mind giving those of us that are less savy a quick tutorial on how to get a .kml file into Google Sites then into Gmap4?

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Are you the same Joseph that designed Gmap4?

If so, your software rocks.

Would you mind giving those of us that are less savy a quick tutorial on how to get a .kml file into Google Sites then into Gmap4?

Bob
    It's great software indeed. Here's his thread, it might help to keep focus on the canyoneering waypoints in this thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...)-to-your-post

Looks like a very interesting map. I can't wait to spend some time looking around in it.

Holy.......

This thing is amazing, you put a lot of work into this and it really shows. Great job man!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Oh the humanity! Does this mean that I get all the benefits of being in the club now, but without joining the club? I like it!

OK one more tip then we'll get back to discussing the data:

If you select "Earth", you'll be able to view these in Google Earth mode. You'll first be required to install a teeny tiny browser plugin. If you've previously installed the plugin and you see this message, just hit continue and you'll be on your way:

Name:  Google Earth View.jpg
Views: 35925
Size:  108.4 KB

And the result:

Name:  Google Earth View.jpg
Views: 36349
Size:  114.9 KB

Thanks Slot Machine for getting this started... I have spent some time looking through your map, and am intrigued to see where this goes. You have put a lot of effort into this, yet there still seems to be a ways to go. There are several things mislabeled or labeled in an inconsistent manner. My intention is not to criticize, but to better understand your vision for this map. In an effort to the community providing you proper input: Who will decide and what will be the criteria for deciding if something is deemed worthy? Is your intention to mark the entry point of canyons, the trail head or mid-canyon (It appears there is some of each)?

To show good faith, I will point out 1 thing that has been labeled incorrectly: Woodruff canyon is labeled as Swett Canyon. Swett Creek is found here:37

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Oh the humanity! Does this mean that I get all the benefits of being in the club now, but without joining the club? I like it!
    hehe. Are you a canyoneer too? I thought you were mainly a hiker?

The "Loosest" Slots in Vegas Machine: you might find this link helpful too. This was created by a great member here - @stefan. The Map is about 6 MB, but it contains a LOT of useful names with a good U.I.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The biggest advantage to this map I have noted so far is it allows users to see which canyons are neighbors. This should help those unfamilair with an area put together a weekend combo package.

Aptly Named Map

Hell yeah! Thanks for creating and sharing this map, looks like an awesome resource.

I think "Super Amazing Canyoneering Map" was the best choice for the title haha.

On another note, boooooooo to the Admin for moving negative posts to another thread. If you truly value the free flow of information here at Bogley, then let everyone post what they like and don't remove the post (unless its blatantly harassing or inappropriate or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Thanks Slot Machine for getting this started... I have spent some time looking through your map, and am intrigued to see where this goes. You have put a lot of effort into this, yet there still seems to be a ways to go. There are several things mislabeled or labeled in an inconsistent manner. My intention is not to criticize, but to better understand your vision for this map. In an effort to the community providing you proper input: Who will decide and what will be the criteria for deciding if something is deemed worthy? Is your intention to mark the entry point of canyons, the trail head or mid-canyon (It appears there is some of each)?
    [QUOTE=PG Rob;487624]

[FONT=Verdana]To show good faith, I will point out 1 thing that has been labeled incorrectly: Woodruff canyon is labeled as Swett Canyon. Swett Creek is found here:37
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 02-23-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: i has turrible grammar sometimes

Very nice! And I agree with Iceaxe that it is really nice to see how the canyon systems fit together. On a different note, I've taken to looking at Bing Maps aerial imagery as well as Google lately. I've found it to be better in the areas I have looked at (not many yet). In any case, may be worth checking as a second source of info when trying to do detailed canyon scouting/planning.
    -john

[Note: I like the idea of collecting points on all publicly available beta'd canyons, both print and web... but I'm not too keen on the (?) and (??) guesses.]

Here's one to add to the map

Tent Rocks Slot Canyon 35

We think this is a super idea, Thanks for the hard work on it. For us who are newer to the community, it really helps in just knowing where certain canyons are and makes it easier to locate them when we see some mention of them without detail as to location. We'll use it for planning purposes, I'm sure. And for those worried about the canyons being overrun by every canyon-bagger out there, maybe a resource like this will help spread out the traffic once people can more easily see in a visual way where these canyons are located and how many there are.

Slot Machine, If/when you make improvements or additions to your map I would suggest you revised the map in the first post over posting a new map each time. You can do this simply by clicking -> Edit -> Advanced, and than locating the Manage Attachments option. That way members will not have to wade through pages of posts to find the latest updated map. When you update the map you can post something like the "map in the original post has been updated to version 2.1" or whatever, which will bump the thread and let everyone know that there is a new revision to the map.

This is just a suggestion, we have used this approach with Bogley-fests in the past with excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    When you update the map you can post something like the "map in the original post has been updated to version 2.1" or whatever, which will bump the thread and let everyone know that there is a new revision to
    Good Idea, will do.