Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non technical slot canyons in and around Zion

Non technical slot canyons in and around Zion

We will be in Utah this April/May and right now I'm collecting stuff what to do.

I'm looking for Slot Canyons in the area of Zion N.P. and its surroundings.
    The main problem: We're experienced hikers but not canyoneers so only non technical canyons are the right stuff.

What I have found so far are: Kanarra Creek, Red Canyon, Red Hollow and Red Cave. Are there any others?

And, the ones I've found, how would you rank them concerning photography and beauty of the canyon?

We're especially looking for the stuff that is away from the crowds.

Thanks
    Richie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beatrap from the bottom, Echo from the bottom, Water Canyon/Quail Creek (near Red Cliffs Campground) and the other Water Canyon on the south slopes of Canaan Mountain. All of these have short narrows, but are very beautiful and photogenic.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Buckskin Gulch should be near the top of your list.

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

Either the full Wire Pass to White House, or an in and out from Wire Pass. Buckskin is probably the #1 hiker slot canyon on the planet.

IMHO, Red Hollow is not worth the effort as a hike.

Buckskin and Kanarra Creek would be #1 and #1a on just about anyone's list. From everything else mentioned I'd say Red Cave #2 and Echo from the bottom as #3.

You should also check out Parunuweap and The Subway.

Thanks for your replys.

Few Questions:
    You mentioned Echo Canyon. But from what I read this seems to be a technical canyon which also has plenty of water in it in early May????

Buckskin seems to be a better two days trip because there's quite a long hike through a wide wash before it narrows.

Parunuweap: I've read on Tanya's website that this one involves also a serious downclimb?

Echo - http://climb-utah.com/Zion/echo.htm
    What everyone is telling you is reverse the technical route and you can experience a really nice long section of slot canyon, but expect cold water with possible swimming.

Read this Buckskin link: http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm
    There is no better info anywhere on Buckskin. If you want to just explore for a few hours enter Buckskin at Wire Pass. The canyon slots up nice about 15 minutes from the trailhead and lasts for 15 miles. Explore as much as you wish. Easy, family friendly, nice section of rock art where Wire pass joins Buckskin. Wire Pass needs to be on your list.

Parunuweap info is here: http://climb-utah.com/Zion/parunuweap1.htm
    There is no climbing involved for most routes, but it's a long day no matter how you slice it. I'd suggest hikers visit from Checkerboard Mesa and visit the Powell Plaque and Labyrinth Falls. Hikers could also use the escape route for Rock Canyon http://climb-utah.com/Zion/rock.htm to enter and exit out French Canyon, which takes you through "The Barracks". Both routes mentioned involve being able to navigate.

Thanks Iceaxe.

Wirepass is not on the list because we've already been there.

With Echo Canyon I still don't get it. I know where the Canyon is because we were able to look into it, when we hiked up Observation Point. But where do we have to start when we just want to do the non technical stuff? The link is the technical part of the Canyon.

About Parunuweap: It seems that I have to do a lot of reading, because there are several different routes.

For Echo just reverse the tech route and you will see about 1/2 the canyon. Where you looked in hiking Observation Point is where you start hiking up the bottom of Echo canyon. When the OP trail crosses Echo just start scrambling up the main drianage and its impossible to get lost. Go as far as you can. There is normally water right from the git-go, and than a long dry section.

I don't know your skill level so some of this P-weap stuff might be over your head. For the average hiker navigating into and out of p-weap is beyond their abilities.

Also, Spring Canyon (next canyon south of Kanarra Creek) is great for hikers. Start from the water tank you can see from I-15.

You can also explore Buckskin and day hike by entering through Middle Trail. But it's not a route for noobie hikers.

Hi Iceaxe.

we're not nooby hikers. The only thing is that everthing that requires real climbing is beyond our abilities.

About Echo Canyon:
    I've I got this right, this would be the start of the non technical part:
    Name:  comp_ObservationP.jpg
Views: 4331
Size:  210.9 KB

Kanarra Creek is on the list, unfortunately I can't find anything about Spring Canyon (especially pictures).

That looks about right. Your picture appears to be when the canyon is holding a lot of water.

In this video everything from the 2:08 mark and on is easily accessible to hikers that don't mind getting a little wet. The rappel at 2:08 is what stops hikers coming up from the bottom. The video was shot in low water conditions.

Spring Canyon is about like Kanarra without the flowing water (it does flow in the spring). It's easy enough to figure out when you get there. Just hike the road up to the water tank and then into the canyon.

I'll try to get a route description and some beta up but its not hard to figure out. You can see the canyon and water tank from I-15 on your way to Kanarra Creek from Zion.

Hi Richie,
    see ya on Kanarra Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Spring Canyon is about like Kanarra without the flowing water (it does flow in the spring). It's easy enough to figure out when you get there. Just hike the road up to the water tank and then into the canyon.

I'll try to get a route description and some beta up but its not hard to figure out. You can see the canyon and water tank from I-15 on your way to Kanarra Creek from Zion.
    And do you think Spring Canyon is one of the more scenic canyons or is it just an "ok" canyon

I didn't see Willis Creek mentioned. Very photographic and a fun hike. You can visit Lick Wash and Bull Valley Gorge,too. From Tanya and Bo:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/gra...ase-hiking.htm

Check road conditions with Kanab or Cannonville BLM.
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    I didn't see Willis Creek mentioned. Very photographic and a fun hike.

Check road conditions with Kanab or Cannonville BLM.
    Willis Creek we've already been before.

...same time.
    ...Bull Valley Gorge is a good hike.

Conerning Parunaweap; usually April is a bad time for Parunaweap, but maybe not this year? Mineral Gulch should be OK.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
    ...same time.
    ...Bull Valley Gorge is a good hike.
    Ok if we know exact dates we can exchange PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    and the other Water Canyon on the south slopes of Canaan Mountain. All of these have short narrows, but are very beautiful and photogenic.
    I've read somewhere that this trip has a trail where you shouldn't have any fear of height. Is that true?

And does someone know a nice campground with showers for tenting in the area of Kanab?