Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 108 of 108

Thread: Pot Shot & Sand Trap Techniques

  1. #101
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Quiet and charming: Mount Carmel
    Posts
    6,477
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Rob, I think you are correct. The trap in tostada mode might have been just what was needed there. I think the extra area of friction plus being able to dump out the back and sides instead of just the sides would have solved the problem.
    Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, I think you may have misunderstood the Tostada, at least the way we use it. When rappelling, it is a Tostada, but when being pulled, it changes into a Taco. Otherwise there is no cleaning mechanism.

    When looking at narrow slots, it is often best to set up the SandTrap many feet back from the edge. Partly, to give the trap time to clear before getting to the narrow spot. Partly, by the time it gets to the narrow spot the Trap might be flying through the air and go over the top.

    Tom
    ____________________________________

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    When rappelling, it is a Tostada, but when being pulled, it changes into a Taco. Otherwise there is no cleaning mechanism.
    This^^^ When you pull to retrieve it, it pulls the back over the top of rest of the trap, folding it and pushing sand out the sides. That, along with having more sand, is why it takes more effort to pull and a further distance to dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens
    Rob, I think you are correct. The trap in tostada mode might have been just what was needed there. I think the extra area of friction plus being able to dump out the back and sides instead of just the sides would have solved the problem.
    Still from memory... I was suggesting tostada mode for the added friction. After rappelling the drop and ascending the far side of the pothole, you would have a better leveraged position to pull it. Also, it is probably coming over the edge with plenty of sand still along for the ride. That pothole is directly below the ledge and there is not a lot of room down there, so if you pulled it from the bottom you would get a major sand shower.

  4. #103
    Tom,
    Congrats on being post 100 and getting us to page 6.
    You are correct in that I might have pictured the tostada differently. If the trap is flat and the pull comes up over the top of the sand, it will turn into a taco.
    What if the pull runs underneath the trap with the recommended groove running the entire length of the tostado? It might become an inside out taco or perhaps just bunch up and stick.
    On the particular drop we are talking about I don't think the trap would become airborne before the pinch, at least, not with me pulling it.

  5. #104
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Quiet and charming: Mount Carmel
    Posts
    6,477
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Tom,
    Congrats on being post 100 and getting us to page 6.
    You are correct in that I might have pictured the tostada differently. If the trap is flat and the pull comes up over the top of the sand, it will turn into a taco.
    What if the pull runs underneath the trap with the recommended groove running the entire length of the tostado? It might become an inside out taco or perhaps just bunch up and stick.
    On the particular drop we are talking about I don't think the trap would become airborne before the pinch, at least, not with me pulling it.
    Hmmm, interesting idea, an inverted release... It might be worth a try, but I think the force required to pull underneath might be too high.

    T
    ____________________________________

  6. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens
    On the particular drop we are talking about I don't think the trap would become airborne before the pinch, at least, not with me pulling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob
    After rappelling the drop and ascending the far side of the pothole, you would have a better leveraged position to pull it. Also, it is probably coming over the edge with plenty of sand still along for the ride. That pothole is directly below the ledge and there is not a lot of room down there, so if you pulled it from the bottom you would get a major sand shower.
    It can get over the edge there... you will just not want to be below it.

  7. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Hmmm, interesting idea, an inverted release... It might be worth a try, but I think the force required to pull underneath might be too high.
    Tom... What if a 2nd piece of webbing was sewn into the sandtrap, between layers of fabric, and in tostada mode would allow the trap to bunch up down the center, like a gather stitch in sewing?

  8. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    get a major sand shower
    Speaking of sand showers...


  9. #108
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Quiet and charming: Mount Carmel
    Posts
    6,477
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Tom... What if a 2nd piece of webbing was sewn into the sandtrap, between layers of fabric, and in tostada mode would allow the trap to bunch up down the center, like a gather stitch in sewing?
    The same problem really. Making anything happen underneath 80 lbs of sand will likely prove difficult.

    Tom
    ____________________________________

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Tourist Trap
    By Iceaxe in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM
  2. Family Trap Shoot 2010
    By Sombeech in forum Hunting & Shooting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM
  3. Lee Kay Hosting Its First Annual Home Free Trap Shoot Event
    By huntingstar in forum Hunting & Shooting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
  4. It's a trap.
    By Sombeech in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 12:30 AM
  5. SAR techniques come under fire
    By Iceaxe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

potshot anchor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •