Thread: Light & Motion Bike Lights - Night Riding tonight

Light & Motion Bike Lights - Night Riding tonight

A facebook friend, Sarah Kaufman has an invite out to demo some Light & Motion Bike Lights tonight up on the Ogden Shoreline Trail, 22nd street at 8pm.

I've been wanting a nice head light to do some night rides, maybe I'll like this one and end up grabbing one.

Plus I'm curious how the GoPro will do in the dark.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Had a great ride tonight with 8 of us. I need to grab one of these lights. We each got to demo one on the handlebars and the helmet.

On the handlebars I had a Light and Motion Seca:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003YLWFIW

And on my helmet I was wearing a Light and Motion Stella:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002NVP2C0

I was thoroughly impressed with how much light these were putting out. I'm new to night riding so I first thought I'd be just wearing the head lamp, but I think the handlebar lighting proved to be more useful to me (plus they average more lumens). I went on a couple of unfamiliar sections of the trail but night riding those new paths didn't slow me down at all with these lights.

I'm really looking into snagging some of these lights for myself.

Video and Pictures of the ride:

Name:  vlcsnap-2011-06-30&.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  50.8 KB

Views: 811
Size:  58.2 KB

Views: 792
Size:  50.2 KB

Views: 804
Size:  62.6 KB

Views: 815
Size:  62.7 KB

Views: 817
Size:  56.6 KB

Views: 838
Size:  15.6 KB

Views: 805
Size:  13.5 KB

Views: 797
Size:  30.7 KB

Views: 770
Size:  24.8 KB

Views: 779
Size:  11.4 KB

Views: 834
Size:  13.0 KB

Views: 766
Size:  43.7 KB

Views: 918
Size:  30.2 KB

Views: 759
Size:  19.2 KB

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Did you buy one? How did you like it? I am thinking my next big purchase is going to be some lights.
    Chere'

That was a fun ride! The lights worked great! Thanks Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Did you buy one? How did you like it? I am thinking my next big purchase is going to be some lights.
    I didn't get one last night but I'd really like one, like maybe within the next couple of weeks.

I bought my lights from geomangear.com. They are called Magicshine. They are amazingly bright and about half the price (or less) of Light & Motion or the other big companies. I got two with a combined total claimed light output of 2300 lumens for $225. They have since upgraded the batteries a bit, so the same kit is $275. Still, if you shop around, they are hard to beat for the price. Plus, the company has a no questions asked return policy and they are great to work with.

I love night riding!!

Night riding is sweet, I have a couiple lights and am happy with my Night Riders. Can pick up last years models fairly cheap all over the place. How about a tuesday night...night ride!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I bought my lights from geomangear.com. They are called Magicshine. They are amazingly bright and about half the price (or less) of Light & Motion or the other big companies. I got two with a combined total claimed light output of 2300 lumens for $225. They have since upgraded the batteries a bit, so the same kit is $275. Still, if you shop around, they are hard to beat for the price. Plus, the company has a no questions asked return policy and they are great to work with.

I love night riding!!
    That's the setup I have, Bike Ray III and the Magic shine 900. I am just waiting for the replacement battery for the MS. But the Bike Ray is pretty good.

MagicShine recall?

I heard MagicShine was having some problems and had done a recall. MBTR.com had a report on it in their lights shootout.
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\iFolder\lstephens\Home\My Pictures[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by scarbones View Post
    I heard MagicShine was having some problems and had done a recall. MBTR.com had a report on it in their lights shootout.
    The recall is for their old battery packs. I am in fact waiting for the replacements to arrive right now. However, the battery packs that are on sale now are the much nicer ones they had made to solve the problem. This info. is only pertinent if you buy from geomangear.com . Other retailers of the magicshine batteries have not initiated the recall process yet.......

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    The recall is for their old battery packs. I am in fact waiting for the replacements to arrive right now. However, the battery packs that are on sale now are the much nicer ones they had made to solve the problem. This info. is only pertinent if you buy from geomangear.com . Other retailers of the magicshine batteries have not initiated the recall process yet.......
    I got the recall battery in the mail last week. So, I'm now ready for night rides.

I just ordered the NiteRider MiNewt Mini 300 USB Plus! Super excited. Getting ready for the 24 HR Bootleg race. I'm going to see how well it does as a single light either on the bars or the helmet. Then I'll decide what needs to be added. I may go with something as simple as 1000 lumen CreeXML flashlight thing on the bars for $25 or maybe the planetbike 2 watt dealio for $30 or I could go as fancy as the Gemini Titan for $99. Having never night ridden I'm not sure what to expect.

I did go out with my Petzl headlamp and my little commuter 5 led planetbike light on the handlebars and it was fine for the first half where there is lots of slow uphill pedaling on singletrack but once I turned the corner and started going fast the system was woefully inadequate. In fact I ate it pretty bad at one point.

I have heard excellent things about Niterider so I decided to start there and then build up if necessary.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Niterider lights have had the reputation of being the best for years. It may not be the best light available today, but most people including myself would not pay 600.00 or more for a bike light. Congrats on getting a great light. My night riding has been the Slickrock trail by moonlight ridden on purpose and the rest of the night riding has been on accident do to poor timing. slow pedaling etc..

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    Niterider lights have had the reputation of being the best for years. It may not be the best light available today, but most people including myself would not pay 600.00 or more for a bike light. Congrats on getting a great light. My night riding has been the Slickrock trail by moonlight ridden on purpose and the rest of the night riding has been on accident do to poor timing. slow pedaling etc..
    Yeah, I was blown away by how much some of the light systems cost! Crazy. I'm in the won't pay more than $200 for a light. Seems overkill. I'm looking forward to the niterider. They certainly have a good reputation. Even though it's only 300 lumens (which seems small compared to the 900+ fixtures out there), but when I looked at all the beam shot comparisons it seemed that 300 lumens would be plenty.

We'll see......I'll post up a review once I get them.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!