Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Add an interactive topographic map (+GPS data) to your post

Just to be certain we are on the same page, I mis-spoke when I opined that things might have changed at Bogley. Instead, things changed because I tightened Gmap4's internet security.

OK, I figured out what's going on.

This post explains how to embed a "Google map"
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-a-bogley-post

Key point: A Google map is not the same thing as a Gmap4 map. Yes, Gmap4 uses the Google map API but it is still not the same critter as a "Google map".

When a Google map is embedded the URL must include &output=embed. So naturally Bogley has a widget that does that. But that widget no longer works with Gmap4 since it tacks on a URL parameter that causes Gmap4 to throw an error message. Gmap4 simply does not need the &output URL parameter in order to be embedded.

Would it be possible for Bogley to make a widget to embed Gmap4? Just copy the Google Map widget and leave out that &output URL parameter.

My impression is that at least some of the other websites that allow Gmap4 to run in plain iframe tags have a whitelist of apps that are so allowed.

Example (and link to Gmap4 beta code that can locate you on a smartphone):
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7995683
    Code: <iframe style="width:100%;height:600px"
    src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/beta/gmap4_263.php?coord=off&ll=47.62403,-122.058341&t=h&z=9"
    width="100%" height="600px"></iframe>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Would it be possible for Bogley to make a widget to embed Gmap4? Just copy the Google Map widget and leave out that &output URL parameter.
    Sure I could create a separate tag for Gmap4 only. Just be warned that anybody else who has embedded a gmap4 here previously will need to edit their post and change the tag. I'll try to do this over the weekend.

Many thanks.

Yeah I was just thinking about the existing threads with embedded Gmap4 maps. Ouch!
    I guess the bottom line is that high quality internet security is a good thing for all.

The Gmap4 production code is now version 2.3. This is the first version that includes special features for smartphones and other mobile devices.

1. Gmap4 can now find your location on the map. This service will use some or all of:
    * Your IP address
    * Cell towers
    * Wi-fi hotspots
    * Any GPS chip in your phone or other mobile device

Simply open any map in your phone

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Sure I could create a separate tag for Gmap4 only. Just be warned that anybody else who has embedded a gmap4 here previously will need to edit their post and change the tag. I'll try to do this over the weekend.
    Any luck with this yet? I would like to start using it again.

The Gmap4 code has been updated to version 3.0. There are two new

Sorry for the HUGE delay on this, but I think I just fixed it on our end. Unfortunately it will take a little manual editing to do, to change out SAVEDMAP with "gmap4"

So the new tag is "gmap4", just use it the same way as previously, but swap out savedmap with gmap4

I've edited @Joseph 's first post to test this as well.

Let me know how it goes. Here's a test embed:

Yippee - lookin' good - thanks!
    Well except for the "Hodges".
    I have no clue where that's coming from.

Yippee - lookin' good - thanks!
    Well except for the "Hodges".
    I have no clue where that's coming from.
    Hodges is what I named the map in Google maps.

EDIT: I just noticed it's on your map too. Looks like I need to tweak it a bit more.

Hey I've got another question, I've got a KMZ that will embed, but zoom level 1, and even 0 still aren't far enough out. Is there a way I can re-edit the KMZ to make it zoomed out even further?

Zoom level 0 is as zoomed out as it gets.
    But that zoom level gives you repeats of the continents all on the same map.
    Seems like your file ought to fit since the whole planet is on the map (times 3).
    Maybe I'm not following...

Zoom level 0 is as zoomed out as it gets.
    But that zoom level gives you repeats of the continents all on the same map.
    Seems like your file ought to fit since the whole planet is on the map (times 3).
    Maybe I'm not following...
    Using the KML worked. Thanks!

Here is another tip for you wannabe map makers. This tip pertains to map symbols (aka markers).

Each symbol has an "anchor point".
    The Google Map API (Application Program Interface) places symbols on the map such that the symbol's anchor point is at the latlng you assigned to that symbol.

By default, the anchor point for a symbol is the middle of the bottom edge of the symbol image. <== Better read that again.
    Thus, if your map displays a simple paddle image, then the bottom tip of the paddle is at the latlng you specified.

So far so good. But.....

Google is hosting a bunch of symbols that you can use on your map. Here is one place to find some of those URLs:
    http://hohonuuli.blogspot.com/2007/0...z-letters.html

Caution: Some of those symbols have their anchor point in the middle of the image! A good example of this is the slanted push pins. If you use those push pin images on your Google map then the tip of the pin is *not* going to be at the latlng you specify. Instead, a point somewhere near the middle of the image will be at the latlng you specified since that point is the symbol's "anchor point".

If your goal is to mark a spot on the map as best you can, then I recommend sticking with the straight up-and-down paddle images. If you open the above link and go to the bottom, there are some more interesting paddles.

If you find a paddle image you like but it is too dang big on your map - no worries. Just copy it, reduce its size with your favorite image editing program and put the smaller image online somewhere. I recommend that symbols be PNG files and Google Sites is a good place to host them.

@Slot Machine was asking how to convert to a KML, I just used Google Earth. When you are saving a KMZ, just choose the different filetype and choose KML instead. Certain KMZ files may not be zoomed correctly when embedding, where KML files seemed to work better. An example was the Canyon waypoints Slot Machine made here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...nyoneering-Map

Is there anyway to add code for the view to be in Hybrid mode?

Sweet! I got my map fixed: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...!!!-%28Live%29

Now to find the others...

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Is there anyway to add code for the view to be in Hybrid mode?
    Sure. The "t" URL parameter determines which map type is displayed when the map opens.
    t Map type. (Default: &t=t1) The allowable values are:
    m Street map from Google
    s Aerial photo from Google
    h Aerial plus street names from Google
    t1 Terrain from Google (default)
    t2 Topographic map from MyTopo (USA 1:24,000 & Canada 1:50,000)
    t3 Topographic map from USGS & Microsoft - used to be called Terraserver (USA 1:24,000)
    t4 (New) Topographic map from CalTopo.com & USGS (USA 1:24,000) <=== Best quality

To open Gmap4 with Google's hybrid view:
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?t=h&q=http://url_to_your_file

Something might be going on with Bogley's PHP script that serves up the attachment.
    I tried to open slot's file in a new tab with this URL:
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?t=h&q=http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51272&d=1329143759

By default, Gmap4 will center and zoom the map so that all of the data file is on the map.
    But when I used the above URL, Gmap4 thought the map should be centered at latlng 0,0
    This is an indication that the data file never reached Gmap4.

Can you check this on your end?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Sweet! I got my map fixed: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...!!!-%28Live%29

Now to find the others...
    Google is your friend. Search on: gmap4 accadacca site:bogley.com/forum
    Scan the hits for "Started by accadacca"

Recently Gmap4 was updated to version 4.1 and now includes a unique map-in-a-link feature that is worth mentioning. Anyone can now make a custom map and save their data right in a Gmap4 link. You do not need to save your data in a separate file such as a GPX or KML file. This may be the easiest and faster way for you to make a custom online topographic map.

To try out this feature:
    1. Click Menu ==> Draw and Save
    2. Click the map a few times to set draggable symbols and draw a line
    3. Rightclick any symbol and select

20. Likes yield.. liked this post
    Some of you already know that Gmap4 is a general purpose file viewing tool for GPX, TPO, KML, KMZ and a couple of other file types.

I have posted beta version 934 (June 13th) that lets Gmap4 also be a general purpose WMS viewer. Why might you care? At last count there were approximately 1.2 bazillion WMS servers out there and this beta code can display most of that data. Specifically, you can:

* Build a Gmap4 link to display multiple layers from multiple WMS servers
    * Turn transparent layers on/off one at a time or all together
    * Change the stacking order of transparent layers
    * Display transparent layers on top of any basemap hardcoded into Gmap4 or on top of any basemap added via WMS

As a software developer, it is always exciting to develop a feature that is first-of-its-kind. If there is any other software that lets you "click link - see WMS data", I would like to know about it.

For example, here is a link that starts the Gmap4 beta code and displays a basemap which is the Google aerial centered near Denver and a WMS overlay showing the boundaries of federally owned land. Zoom in for more detail. This boundary data covers the USA. A fast way to shift the map to your own area is Menu ==> Search.
    Link to federal land boundary map

The Gmap4 beta page has more examples and documentation showing step-by-step how to make your own Gmap4 links to display any WMS data you wish to see.
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_beta.html

The example maps on the beta page include:
    * USA map with current weather radar
    * NOAA coastal navigation charts including the most detailed charts
    * Current forest fire boundaries
    * Index to 1:24,000 scale topos for USA
    * Index to 1:50,000 scale topos for Canada
    * and more

There might be some kind of limit as to how complex(?) these maps can be. Gmap4 uses the Google map API but Google