Thread: Photos, Little Wild Horse Canyon

Photos, Little Wild Horse Canyon

I knew this was a popular hike, but was surprised to see how popular. The day I was there, a Tuesday, there were 23 cars parked when I started. When I came back, there were 25 cars, most of them different than the ones there when I went in.

This was a fun slot canyon, just a little tight in places for a fat old man. Holding my pack and going through sideways worked just fine. There were a few boulders to go over or under, nothing tough, and a few pools with stepping stones, so no wading. I did not go all the way through as I had heard it became sort of nondescript at the end, so I turned around and retraced my path. This is definitely a good hike for families, and I chatted with several of them during my hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those are some really sweet photos - thanks Stan!

When I was there in March of 2005, there were very many fewer cars there. I guess maybe eight. It seems to have exploded in popularity recently.

http://richardbarron.net/galleries/anytrail/lwhc/

-R

Those are great shots, Richard. I would think that April is a more popular time than March.
    Stan

Great pics.

The crowds in the spring sure do suck!
    But no reason to get into it because there are already plenty of "back in the day" posts about this area of the swell.
    Next time you go down I would suggest doing Ding and Dang. Its pretty close to LWC and have far less people, But these canyons have also seen quite an increase in traffic over the past few years.

Richard -
    Your talents amaze me every time i look at your site.
    I love this shot.

Thanks. You might recognize that one as being on the west part of the loop, in Bell Canyon. Bell's not as slotty (can I say that?), but it made really cool images. -R

Some of the better LWH pictures I have seen, nice job

Very cool looking pics.

Thanks everyone.
    Stan

Can't wait to get there- five more days. Maybe I will do Ding and Dang while I am there. May as well, I have the entire weekend.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Chute and Crack are also nearby. I didn't do them, so have no recommendation.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Chute and Crack are also nearby. I didn't do them, so have no recommendation.

Lower Chute is ok... its not very narrow.

Crack Canyon is great. I heard they installed a new trailhead on the behind the reef road.... So no more driving up and camping near the mouth of Crack (?)
    I am going down there this weekend so I guess I will find out.

Yes, I drove Behind The Reef Rd and that is where the THs for both Chute and Crack are located. You can also go into Wild Horse Canyon from that side.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Yes, I drove Behind The Reef Rd and that is where the THs for both Chute and Crack are located. You can also go into Wild Horse Canyon from that side.
    So can you drive off the road to the mouth of Crack or do you need to park in the parking lot and hike in? In years past if you have 4x4 you could drive and camp right on the WSA boundary.

You could drive off the road, but I don't know if you can go all the way to the mouth of the canyon.
    Stan