PDA

View Full Version : Possibles Bag

tanya
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Was this term used before Shane used it or is it his own? I am using it in Bo and my book and want to make sure that is okay.

oldno7
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally term was used by the Mountain Men/Trappers (iirc)

Brian in SLC
12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Was this term used before Shane used it or is it his own? I am using it in Bo and my book and want to make sure that is okay.

Pretty sure its frequently referenced in Osborn Russel's book, "Journal of a Trapper".

Common item and term used especially in the mountain man era. Can see several examples in the Pinedale museum of the Mountain Man.

We used the term a bunch as kids. Especially after we all read, "Give your Heart to the Hawks" about mountain men. Etc.

Reference as well in Jerimiah Johnson (the movie) I seem to dimly recall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_men

-Brian in SLC

denaliguide
12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
if you possibly needed it ti went in your possibles sack.

Iceaxe
12-04-2009, 10:11 AM
What they said.... :nod:

POSSIBLES BAG - The leather bag that the mountain man carried his possibles in, which were the items a mountain man needed to survive. Such items as a bullet mold, an awl, knives, a tin cup, needle and thread, pipe and tobacco, flint and steel, patches and balls, and other accouterments he considered necessary. Shooting needs were given first priority and kept where they could be found with ease and speed. Firearms were not carried in a possibles bag.

shagdeuce
12-04-2009, 10:25 AM
I apologize if this should be in another thread, but how about a list of what everyone keeps in their possibles bag? I wouldn't mind updating mine based on what others are carrying.

Iceaxe
12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Here is the list for my Possibles bag. I pulled this from my gear page that I just updated this morning.

Canyoneering Gear
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Canyon Possibles Bag
No mountain man worth his buckskins would go into the wilderness without his "Possibles Bag". The term "Possibles Bag" comes from the American Mountain Men of the early 1800's. My "Possibles Bag" is a 6" X 6" stuff sack, which I carry on all my outdoor adventures. This bag contains the items I need to survive.

My "Possibles Bag" contains Aspirin, prescription pain killers, assorted Band-Aids, knife with a 3" blade, two butane lighters, 10-feet of 3mm accessory chord, toilet paper, duct tape, small bottle of bug juice, chapstick, Coleman emergency bivy bag, A small LED headlamp (mine is a Petzl Tikka), small bottle of sun screen lotion and water purification tablets.

Most of the items in my Possibles Bag are self explanatory. I switched from a space blanket to a real bivy bag after a couple of forced bivouacs. The sun screen lotion can be used to treat rashes along with offering sun protection. I use duct tape for blisters or hot spots because it stays on in water unlike most band-aids. Duct tape can also be used to suture deep cuts or attach splints in an emergency. I like to think of duct tape as my all-in-one first aid kit. I carry two butane lighters so I can break one open and use the fuel inside to start a fire in wet or snowy conditions.

Don
12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I carry a separate first aid kit with various drugs (painkillers and Imodium are priorities), Neosporin, bug juice, sun block, bandages, moleskin, duct tape, medical tape, a Leatherman micra, even a small suture kit.

In a possibles bag I have a spoon, a spare set of contacts and .2 oz bottle of eye drops, water purification tablets, small weatherproof notepad and pen, emergency bivy, a lighter and matches, a compass, 5 ft of parachute code, a bandana, a headlamp (Petzl tac-tikka, same thing as the tikka but it

tanya
12-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys!

:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
The recent SAR in Larry Canyon made me think we should keep this thread going.....

I've been forced to bivy before and what gear you carry becomes extremely important.... it can literally mean life and dead....

So here are a few things I've learned. One of those space age mylar emergency blankets is nice to have when you are forced to bivy.... but even better is one of the space age emergency survival bags.

The bags are basicly the same size as the blankets, cost only pennies more, and are much more versatial.

First off you can take out your knife and turn the bag into a blanket if required, I've gone this before when I needed a ground cloth.....

The best part about the survival bag is you can climb inside and stay dry, if it's windy you don't get cold air coming through the edges... the bag will make a bivy much more comfortable.

The emergency bags weight under 3 oz and cost less than $3 on Amazon. So there is no excuse not to carry one.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Sleeping-Survival-Reflective-Blanket/dp/B000Y9H09Q

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00feMTEvCRYIcZM/Emergency-Sleeping-Bag-213-92cm-.jpg

Iceaxe
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Water Purification Tablets

I carry a bottle of these with me at all times.... I have used these hundreds of times over the past 15 years that I have been carrying them.

They cost $9 for a bottle of 50 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Potable-Water-Purification-Iodine-Tablets/dp/B001949TKS

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Tveful-sL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Alex
12-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Ice what else? I need to spend 16 bucks more to get free shipping :2thumbs:

tanya
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
This is what I have for the book guys.. what do you think? Should I make the list smaller? Did I forget anything?

Bring at least one headlamp per person and fresh batteries for each. Include a first aid kit with antibiotic ointment, pain killers, bandages, moleskin, duct tape, snake bite kit, water purification tablets, sun screen, chapstick, blister care and insect repellant. Also take high energy foods, socks, clothing, sunglasses, a sturdy plastic glove, surgical tube, foil, pocket knife, toilet paper, duct tape, flare, candle, signal mirror, foil, whistle, dental floss, needle, paper, pencil, 50 feet of webbing, an emergency shelter such as a bivy sac and items for starting a fire including two butane lighters (added after iceaxe mentioned it).

tanya
12-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Ice what else? I need to spend 16 bucks more to get free shipping :2thumbs:

Romantic stuff for the wife. :haha:

Alex
12-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Pffft... that will just exhaust my energy during an emergency situation instead of consume it.

denaliguide
12-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Pffft... that will just exhaust my energy during an emergency situation instead of consume it.

consume? conserve?

Alex
12-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Err I meant conserve, sorry :)

Jaxx
12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
The recent SAR in Larry Canyon made me think we should keep this thread going.....

I carry this emergency bivy. It weighs nothing and is a little more robust that the mylar crappy ones that I almost froze to death in in horseshoe canyon.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/images/products/146-hi1.jpg

I also carry a maxi pad. If someone is bleeding it will hold alot of blood. Plus if someone with me starts complaining I can pull it out and hand it to them. They get the point! :haha:

Iceaxe
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
I also carry a maxi pad. If someone is bleeding it will hold alot of blood. Plus if someone with me starts complaining I can pull it out and hand it to them. They get the point! :haha:

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

ratagonia
12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I carry this emergency bivy. It weighs nothing and is a little more robust that the mylar crappy ones that I almost froze to death in in horseshoe canyon.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/images/products/146-hi1.jpg

Well, not quite nothing, but 6.9 ounces is pretty good. Lotta warmth for the weight and bulk. I carry the BD Winter Bivy which is 9 ozs. More comfortable (ie, it breathes), not as warm, but a lot of protection for 9 ozs. I also carry a fleece Balaclava, which is probably the most warmth/weight possible. Supersize leaf/lawn bags also a good investment. Things you can slide into the watertank pocket of your pack, and just leave there.

T

moab mark
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Just went and looked at the BD bivy bag.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Black-Diamond-Winter-Bivy-Sack/BLD0253M.html?CMP_ID=PD_GOO001&CP=Google&CMP=KNC-Google&mv_pc=r101&gcid=S2000x134&keyword=&s_kwcid=TC|5484|black%20diamond%20winter%20bivy||S |b|4582235595

might have to put on the x mas list. Probably last for a while.

Mark

xxnitsuaxx
12-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I always make sure to have my Weber charcoal grill, some mesquite wood chips, fresh rosemary and lemon zest, and a generous selection of dry aged beef. Granted, that doesn't really leave room for incidentals like webbing, a helmet, or an emergency blanket; but I believe in having my priorities straight. Have you tried choking down a Clif Bar recently?

CarpeyBiggs
12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
i used that winter bivy on our trip to poe, and i didn't think it breathed well at all... lightweight, but massive condensation inside.

hard to beat for weight though.

mark, tom sells that bivy on his site, fyi.

tanya
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I always make sure to have my Weber charcoal grill, some mesquite wood chips, fresh rosemary and lemon zest, and a generous selection of dry aged beef. Granted, that doesn't really leave room for incidentals like webbing, a helmet, or an emergency blanket; but I believe in having my priorities straight. Have you tried choking down a Clif Bar recently?

:five: I want on your trip as long as you carry all that.

trackrunner
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Will you kiss him too? Or is that only if he carry's your bag. :haha:

moab mark
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
i used that winter bivy on our trip to poe, and i didn't think it breathed well at all... lightweight, but massive condensation inside.

Did you use it as your bag or did you put your bag inside of it?
Probably just smarter just to buy the cheap ones and if used and destroyed just replace it?

Mark

CarpeyBiggs
12-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Probably just smarter just to buy the cheap ones and if used and destroyed just replace it?

Mark

I had a bag inside of it, so it's possible i got too warm, and that's what the condensation was. it is a pretty nice sack, super light, very compact, just thought it could've breathed better.

tanya
12-10-2009, 08:05 PM

Will you kiss him too? Or is that only if he carry's your bag. :haha:

Heck no!!!!

I only tease! No kissin' :haha:

xxnitsuaxx
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Tanya couldn't kiss me anyway. I'm a Texan and a future attorney, she couldn't shut me up for long enough...

CarpeyBiggs
12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
she couldn't shut me up for long enough...

you underestimate what she can do with some rope and duct tape...

Don
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM

:eek2: :naughty:

ratagonia
12-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Mark

The cheaper ones work fine for about half the night, then they get cold because you are too wet inside. So, at 1.5 ozs, a good survival tool, not such a good bivy tool. A lot better than nothing.

The BD Winter Bivy breathes fairly well, but the conditions at that campsite at POE had a lot of morning dew. Or did you have condensation inside? Haven't really had that problem, and I've used it a lot, but I do breath outside the bag, almost always.

T :moses:

bowjunkie
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi Ya'll, I'm new here and this is a great thread .. The one thing i can add is a roll of vet wrap ,the stuff is awesome for the back country

Pelon1
12-11-2009, 04:27 AM
vet wrap
AKA-Coban

xxnitsuaxx
12-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Underestimate or wonder about?

xxnitsuaxx
12-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Great - now nobody knows me but everyone thinks I'm creepy.

Alex
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Tanya couldn't kiss me anyway. I'm a Texan and a future attorney, she couldn't shut me up for long enough...

You are obviously new to Bogley.... you will learn, young one. :twisted:

Iceaxe
12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I have a nice bivy sack that I carry it if I expect to bivy or expect I might end up in a bivy. And yes they are much nicer than the emergency bivy bags. But they are also about 10 times the size. My possibles bag is small and all the high quality bivy sacks you guys are talking about will not even fit inside. Most of the larger bivy sacks will end up sitting in storage eventually because they are larger, someone will toss it out of the pack because "I need a small pack for Sandthrax, Psycho D, Middle Lep, yada, yada" type deal....

The emergency bivy sacks are very small, about the same size as a deck of cards. Once inside your possibles bag you will never notice them and only dig it out in an emergency. The emergency bivy sacks are what you want in your possibles bag.

:blahblah:

tanya
12-11-2009, 09:44 AM

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Iceaxe
12-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Here is my Possibles Bag and everything I carry in it, including my first-aid kit. To save weight/space I wrap duct tape around the lotion/sun screen bottle and around an old percription bottle I keep my meds in.

I did get to spend some time once with Scott O'Grady, for those who don't know he was an F-16 pilot shot down over Bosnia that spent a week escaping and evading capture (he later wrote a book). Anyhoo.... the one thing he told me that really stuck with me was... if it was not actually on your person when shit hits the fan it's not going to help you. He mentioned this because he said all his plans about I'd grab this and that in an emergency were the first thing to go.

moab mark
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a nice bivy sack that I carry it if I expect to bivy or expect I might end up in a bivy. And yes they are much nicer than the emergency bivy bags. But they are also about 10 times the size. My possibles bag is small and all the high quality bivy sacks you guys are talking about will not even fit inside. Most of the larger bivy sacks will end up sitting in storage eventually because they are larger, someone will toss it out of the pack because "I need a small pack for Sandthrax, Psycho D, Middle Lep, yada, yada" type deal....

The emergency bivy sacks are very small, about the same size as a deck of cards. Once inside your possibles bag you will never notice them and only dig it out in an emergency. The emergency bivy sacks are what you want in your possibles bag.

:blahblah:
You are so correct on leaving things behind. Since moving up to the keg I have left it behind more then taking it because it won't fit.

I am more looking at the one Tom is talking about to go in my gear I haul snowmobiling. My buddy has a bag similar to the BD bivy bag. We spent about 4 hours last year in a blizzard and he popped his out got inside of it and he was alot more comfortable then the rest of us. :frustrated:

Mark

Iceaxe
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Since moving up to the keg

Since you brought it up.... I'm NOT a fan of kegs when canyoneering.... when doing the skinny slots they cause holes in your pack where they rub against the canyon walls and they are always getting stuck and wedged into tight places.... basically a real pain in the ass.... Kegs are fine for the rap-n-swim kiddie canyons.... YMMV...

Brian in SLC
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
My current possibles...looks kinda like iceaxes...

bruce from bryce
12-11-2009, 03:21 PM
you know what I am going to say:

1. duct tape. wrap it around a prescription drug bottle and keep your extra batteries in side. also can keep one pack of matches. saves on space.
2. a 6-inch piece of inner tube cut from your last blowout. trying to start a fire in the rain with wet wood is almost impossible. lite up the piece of inner tube and it burns long and hot enough to start everything but a thoroughly waterlogged stick.

bruce from bryce

tanya
12-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Great stuff so far! I am updating!

Keep it up Guys!

Models use it to create cleavage. Sled-dog drivers use it to prevent frostbite. Athletes use it to support weak joints. Veterinarians use it to repair horses' hooves.

What's this wonder tool?

When Forbes.com compiled its list of the 20 most important tools of all time, we asked a panel of scientists, historians and engineers to look at the devices that have most impacted human civilization and shaped the course of history. The final list highlighted tools that have been around for ages: the knife, the abacus, the compass. But critics soon started raising objections. But this stuff can do just about anything?

It is widely used for first aid as a sort of temporary suture. It effectively closes up wounds until proper treatment can be found --although it's not fun when you have to pull the stuff off your skin. Some emergency medical technician handbooks even describe how to use it to close up sucking chest wounds like gunshots.

It can save your life in other ways, too. In April of 2000, a man named Gemini Wink was hiking through the swamps near Tampa, Florida, looking to take pictures of alligators. As night fell, he realized he was lost, and decided to climb a tree to avoid being eaten. But he was afraid of falling asleep and dropping into the gator-filled water, so he used it to tie himself to a branch. The night passed safely and he was found by sheriff's deputies the following morning.

One Question! How could he sleep!?!?!?!? There are gators down there!

tanya
12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
This is what I have so far. How am I doing so far?

check this out!

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=819

I need to get with Bo and see how much room all this would take.

Possibles Sac
Water purification tables and water purifying straw
Electrolyte energy gel
Money
Pocket knife
Fish hooks and line for fishing, surgical tube to make a sling shot.
Small headlamp and extra batteries
Wilderness survival guide with blank paper stuffed inside and pencil.
Toilet paper
Two butane lighters - One can be broken open and the fuel used to start a fire and a 6-inch piece of inner tube to be used to start a fire in wet conditions.
Foil, flare, candle, signal mirror, loud whistle
Socks, safety pins,
Bivy sac
45 gallon leaf bag and zip lock freezer bags
Small disposable bread baking pans. Try to squeeze everything you can into these and then put everything in a small stuff sac. Remember if its so bulky or heavy you are tempted to leave it behind it will not do you any good. Trim it down to meet your needs.
-------------------------

Keep these handy whenever you are hiking off trail, follow your path on the map before you become lost.
Topological map of the area you are hiking in
Compass
50 feet of webbing
--------------------------

Wilderness medicine guide
Butterfly bandages, duct Tape, athletic tape, vet wrap
Second skin, gauze pads, maxi pad, tampon
Dental Floss, needle, safety pins
Antibiotic ointment, benzoin tincturePain killers, Motrin, diarrhea medicine, antihistamine, all packed in a watertight container.
Latex gloves, CPR shield, airway
Small envelope of sun-screen for rashes and to prevent sunburn.
Chapstick, Blister care, insect repellant
Small tube of eye wash