Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibles Bag

Bogley BigShot

Possibles Bag

Was this term used before Shane used it or is it his own? I am using it in Bo and my book and want to make sure that is okay.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Originally term was used by the Mountain Men/Trappers (iirc)

Re: Possibles Bag

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Was this term used before Shane used it or is it his own? I am using it in Bo and my book and want to make sure that is okay.
    Pretty sure its frequently referenced in Osborn Russel's book, "Journal of a Trapper".

Common item and term used especially in the mountain man era. Can see several examples in the Pinedale museum of the Mountain Man.

We used the term a bunch as kids. Especially after we all read, "Give your Heart to the Hawks" about mountain men. Etc.

Reference as well in Jerimiah Johnson (the movie) I seem to dimly recall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_men

-Brian in SLC

if you possibly needed it ti went in your possibles sack.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

What they said....

POSSIBLES BAG - The leather bag that the mountain man carried his possibles in, which were the items a mountain man needed to survive. Such items as a bullet mold, an awl, knives, a tin cup, needle and thread, pipe and tobacco, flint and steel, patches and balls, and other accouterments he considered necessary. Shooting needs were given first priority and kept where they could be found with ease and speed. Firearms were not carried in a possibles bag.

I apologize if this should be in another thread, but how about a list of what everyone keeps in their possibles bag? I wouldn't mind updating mine based on what others are carrying.

Here is the list for my Possibles bag. I pulled this from my gear page that I just updated this morning.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Canyon Possibles Bag
    No mountain man worth his buckskins would go into the wilderness without his "Possibles Bag". The term "Possibles Bag" comes from the American Mountain Men of the early 1800's. My "Possibles Bag" is a 6" X 6" stuff sack, which I carry on all my outdoor adventures. This bag contains the items I need to survive.

My "Possibles Bag" contains Aspirin, prescription pain killers, assorted Band-Aids, knife with a 3" blade, two butane lighters, 10-feet of 3mm accessory chord, toilet paper, duct tape, small bottle of bug juice, chapstick, Coleman emergency bivy bag, A small LED headlamp (mine is a Petzl Tikka), small bottle of sun screen lotion and water purification tablets.

Most of the items in my Possibles Bag are self explanatory. I switched from a space blanket to a real bivy bag after a couple of forced bivouacs. The sun screen lotion can be used to treat rashes along with offering sun protection. I use duct tape for blisters or hot spots because it stays on in water unlike most band-aids. Duct tape can also be used to suture deep cuts or attach splints in an emergency. I like to think of duct tape as my all-in-one first aid kit. I carry two butane lighters so I can break one open and use the fuel inside to start a fire in wet or snowy conditions.

I carry a separate first aid kit with various drugs (painkillers and Imodium are priorities), Neosporin, bug juice, sun block, bandages, moleskin, duct tape, medical tape, a Leatherman micra, even a small suture kit.

In a possibles bag I have a spoon, a spare set of contacts and .2 oz bottle of eye drops, water purification tablets, small weatherproof notepad and pen, emergency bivy, a lighter and matches, a compass, 5 ft of parachute code, a bandana, a headlamp (Petzl tac-tikka, same thing as the tikka but it

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks guys!

The recent SAR in Larry Canyon made me think we should keep this thread going.....

I've been forced to bivy before and what gear you carry becomes extremely important.... it can literally mean life and dead....

So here are a few things I've learned. One of those space age mylar emergency blankets is nice to have when you are forced to bivy.... but even better is one of the space age emergency survival bags.

The bags are basicly the same size as the blankets, cost only pennies more, and are much more versatial.

First off you can take out your knife and turn the bag into a blanket if required, I've gone this before when I needed a ground cloth.....

The best part about the survival bag is you can climb inside and stay dry, if it's windy you don't get cold air coming through the edges... the bag will make a bivy much more comfortable.

The emergency bags weight under 3 oz and cost less than $3 on Amazon. So there is no excuse not to carry one.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Slee.../dp/B000Y9H09Q

Water Purification Tablets

I carry a bottle of these with me at all times.... I have used these hundreds of times over the past 15 years that I have been carrying them.

They cost $9 for a bottle of 50 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Potable-Water-.../dp/B001949TKS

Ice what else? I need to spend 16 bucks more to get free shipping

Bogley BigShot
    This is what I have for the book guys.. what do you think? Should I make the list smaller? Did I forget anything?

Bring at least one headlamp per person and fresh batteries for each. Include a first aid kit with antibiotic ointment, pain killers, bandages, moleskin, duct tape, snake bite kit, water purification tablets, sun screen, chapstick, blister care and insect repellant. Also take high energy foods, socks, clothing, sunglasses, a sturdy plastic glove, surgical tube, foil, pocket knife, toilet paper, duct tape, flare, candle, signal mirror, foil, whistle, dental floss, needle, paper, pencil, 50 feet of webbing, an emergency shelter such as a bivy sac and items for starting a fire including two butane lighters (added after iceaxe mentioned it).

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Ice what else? I need to spend 16 bucks more to get free shipping

Romantic stuff for the wife.

Pffft... that will just exhaust my energy during an emergency situation instead of consume it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Pffft... that will just exhaust my energy during an emergency situation instead of consume it.
    consume? conserve?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Err I meant conserve, sorry :)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The recent SAR in Larry Canyon made me think we should keep this thread going.....
    I carry this emergency bivy. It weighs nothing and is a little more robust that the mylar crappy ones that I almost froze to death in in horseshoe canyon.

I also carry a maxi pad. If someone is bleeding it will hold alot of blood. Plus if someone with me starts complaining I can pull it out and hand it to them. They get the point!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I also carry a maxi pad. If someone is bleeding it will hold alot of blood. Plus if someone with me starts complaining I can pull it out and hand it to them. They get the point!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I carry this emergency bivy. It weighs nothing and is a little more robust that the mylar crappy ones that I almost froze to death in in horseshoe canyon.

Well, not quite nothing, but 6.9 ounces is pretty good. Lotta warmth for the weight and bulk. I carry the BD Winter Bivy which is 9 ozs. More comfortable (ie, it breathes), not as warm, but a lot of protection for 9 ozs. I also carry a fleece Balaclava, which is probably the most warmth/weight possible. Supersize leaf/lawn bags also a good investment. Things you can slide into the watertank pocket of your pack, and just leave there.

T

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Emergency sleeping bag

emergency servival sleeping bag

whats in your possibles bag

what is carried in a possible bag

possibles bag

stuff inside a possible bag

Sleeping Bag Emergency

mountain men possible bags

possibles bag kit

leatherman possible bags