Thread: Rock Art in The San Rafael Swell

Rock Art in The San Rafael Swell

I have explored many washes, canyons and boulder fields looking for rock art. At this time i have personally visited around two hundred sites located in the boundaries of the San Rafael Swell, and i'm now curious what you guys have. Post pics, no locations please! As long as they are IN the boundaries of the San Rafael Swell.

I really mean NO locations. Please do not post titles, captions anything that could result in the location of the panel being found.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll start this off with a unique Northern Swell Style Fremont petroglyph site.

Name:  5217948127_0bf76983.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  5217788167_88e28733.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  79.8 KB

Here's part of a cool rock art panel I stumbled across in Buckhorn Wash. It's at about N 39
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Blog | FB

Here is one of my favorite San Rafael Swell rock art panels.
    N38 55' 40", W110 25' 55"
    (WGS84)

Small but elegant.... I love the foot prints... maybe footprints in the snow?

Name:  SRRA01..jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  80.7 KB

You've got to protect against vandalism. Everything you give out, everything you ever post the locations to if it ever gets ruined it is all on your back. Ruined for everyone, and no one can enjoy it because it is vandalized.

Now i'm sick of all of the low-lifed forum users looking to mock anyone posting anything looking for a sincere forum posts back. You are potentially ruining these sites just so you can get a laugh for five seconds.
    I'm sick of all of you Bogley users.
    I don't mean to generalize, some of you are good people. The percentage is small though.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Sad to say but if it gets ruined, it gets ruined. There is plenty of rock art right next to highways and such that don't have an armed guard standing by 24/7 that have not been vandalized. And do you really think someone who would destroy rock art would actually put coordinates into a GPS and go find them? No. It's a crime of opportunity.
    Ochre Alcove, and plenty of sites from Michael Kelsey books have been vandalized right after he published them, and many were remote. Following directions and a map is a hell of a lot harder than dropping coordinates in your GPS.
    There isn't much we can do if it gets vandalized, your right. Why are we boosting our chances then?

question: how do three people keep a secret? answer: if two of them are dead. that's it, that's the only way. plain and simple.

i have enjoyed your photos and hope you find another forum more in line with your sense of values. if you don't want to share then don't, but then it just becomes a game of i know where these are and you don't. just a pissing match in my opinion, and i don't play mine is bigger than yours. i guess this would put me in the bad people category, i'm good with that.

@Iceaxe, i like this one too.
    Name:  petroglyph canyo&#1.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  82.1 KB
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Both sides have a point, but Jon is correct when he states we should keep idiots away form these sites. We aren't talking about sites along the road. These are far away from the rat race that they are nearly impossible for morons to find. But, Google Earth and phones with GPS apps make it easy to figure out. I agree that most times it is a crime of opportunity, but if they don't have an opportunity then it doesn't happen. GPS coords make it so easy. I want to see all of these places and would love to do it without bullet holes, names etched in or pieces pulled off. I think privately sharing info via messages is just as valid a way to share beta without making all of planet Earth and Google aware. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by dioscuriII View Post
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Both sides have a point, but Jon is correct when he states we should keep idiots away form these sites. We aren't talking about sites along the road. These are far away from the rat race that they are nearly impossible for morons to find. But, Google Earth and phones with GPS apps make it easy to figure out. I agree that most times it is a crime of opportunity, but if they don't have an opportunity then it doesn't happen. GPS coords make it so easy. I want to see all of these places and would love to do it without bullet holes, names etched in or pieces pulled off. I think privately sharing info via messages is just as valid a way to share beta without making all of planet Earth and Google aware. Just my two cents.
    Totally! I have nothing against one on one trading, but if you can view this forum so can some idiot with spray paint. I don't think most Bogley members realize the consequences of their actions.

Whatever, i thought i'd be a good addition here because there aren't a whole lot of steady rock art enthusiasts. I can see why there aren't any. I am surprised anyone is here.
    Go ahead, enjoy your stupidity clan and i'll go back to my flickr photostream. If anyone wants to keep in touch catch me there, i'm done with this.

http://exploringrockart.com/jan_25,_2010.htm

Maybe it's taggers, maybe it's just target practise. One day, it could just be a disgruntled former tour guide; and who knows, the next time, a disgruntled former bogleyite.

And some time, it's just dust in the wind: http://www.ninemilecanyoncoalition.o...emilestudy.pdf

People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? - Rodney King

Sorry. I had to post that here.

Name:  IMGP1599..jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  79.7 KBName:  IMGP1587..jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  116.0 KBName:  IMGP1580..jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  136.2 KB
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.