Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armstrong faces lifetime ban, loss of 7 Tour titles

Armstrong faces lifetime ban, loss of 7 Tour titles

DEVELOPING: U.S. Anti-Doping Agency chief executive Travis Tygart says the agency will ban Lance Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his seven Tour de France titles for doping.

Armstrong on Thursday night dropped any further challenges to USADA's allegations that he took performance-enhancing drugs to win cycling's premier event from 1999-2005.
    Armstrong says USADA doesn't have the authority to vacate his Tour titles. However, Tygart told The Associated Press that USADA can do it.

Tygart called the Armstrong case a "heartbreaking" example of a win-at-all costs approach to sports.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/0...#ixzz24Qh5Nq2l

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Armstrong faces lifetime ban, loss of 7 Tour titles

Good riddance. His honesty and integrity shouldn't be trusted for any of the years he was biking.

Its a shame that he road the shirt-tails of publicity and success and ruined it with cheating.

Good, he cheated., got busted, and now pays the price.

In a related story I am happy with all the Cancer stuff he has done with his wealth. I have been a recipient of some of that charity!

Umm there is still no proof that he cheated. He has and did pass ALL blood tests given to him. and is now being hunted by a government agency that answers only to itself and does not follow the standards of a normal court of law.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

6. Likes Deathcricket liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Umm there is still no proof that he cheated. He has and did pass ALL blood tests given to him. and is now being hunted by a government agency that answers only to itself and does not follow the standards of a normal court of law.

Bingo!

Damn you people are harsh!! Who am I (or we) the ill-informed, to pass judgement? I'm not gonna sit back and armchair quarterback the justice of a fellow human being based on the evidence presented by a biased media. As DOSS said....he took the tests, he passed, now get off his back already.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

There is blood evidence from two years of racing that supports the accusation he was doping and cheating...

The agency is a non-profit with congressional approval and process....very different than stated above.

They have evidence that he cheated. The agency has nothing to gain from going to court with bad physical evidence. It would tank their organization and change the industry. That said, Armstrong obviously had something to lose by choosing not to go to trial (his choice). If he was actually proven guilty than he would lose his fan base, which is the only thing he has besides his money.

*PS....I mostly ignored the stories and went to the doping agency for information.

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, `Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now," Armstrong said. He called the USADA investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999," he said. "The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today -- finished with this nonsense."

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999," he said. "The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today -- finished with this nonsense."
    Really surprised at the comments coming in. Just because he is getting sick of fighting false accusations doesn't mean he is guilty. I'm going through the same thing in my divorce. After a while it's just not worth the constant battle and you just give up fighting and move on. If some agency wants to pursue him to the ends of the earth over this BS, let them. He complied with every test they asked for and passed it. They have zero proof IMO, and witch hunt is accurate.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I guess to put it more clearly.....

Armstrong chose to forfeit the only objective process there was...a public trial. All of his legal efforts this year have been to pro-actively deem them mistrials. When the courts ruled against him he forfeited.

By not going to trial he has admitted guilt.

If they had blood evidence of two years of doping then why was he allowed to continue racing?

IMO, this is a clear cut case of: Politics>>Truth (Politics is much greater than truth for all you mathematicians out there ).

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    I guess to put it more clearly.....

Armstrong chose to forfeit the only objective process there was...a public trial. All of his legal efforts this year have been to pro-actively deem them mistrials. When the courts ruled against him he forfeited.

Public trial? The USADA? the public courts said that they had no way to control/ stop the USADA as they were not under their jurisdiction.. This is not a trial he is forfeiting going to.. he has chosen to not go through a farce of a Arbitration that is final with no appeals process.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post

Although, I will give you points for this comment. This policy is identical to the drug tests administered by your employer. If your employer asks for a urine sample and you decline, you're automatically terminated (the assumption being that you declined to pee in a cup b'cuz you knew your pee was dirty).

The public hearing process by USADA has been approved by Congress and existed since Armstrong has raced. If the process is so flawed than why have all the other racers accused in this situation chosen Arbitration? Why did Armstrong not take it upon himself to proactively change the system before he was accused?

USADA is the only system we have for these legal cases. Defending yourself against a erroneous decision, his claim, still seems better than admitting guilt through deciding not to partake in arbitration. That is common legal practice. For example, when I chose to pay my speeding ticket and not take it to court....I am admitting guilt.

@rock....the blood evidence is for tampering with samples. USADA maintains samples for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Although, I will give you points for this comment. This policy is identical to the drug tests administered by your employer. If your employer asks for a urine sample and you decline, you're automatically terminated (the assumption being that you declined to pee in a cup b'cuz you knew your pee was dirty).
    Fair comparison. But I would have signed an employment contract that makes that binding. Armstrong committed to this process by competing.

The agency is a non-profit with congressional approval and process....
    If so, how can they take an award away that was issued by an organization from another country?

I'm just curious how this works.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Not the exact analogy. He has submitted hundreds of drug tests already and they have zero proof. This is more like your employer keeps asking you for a drug test every single day and accusing you of taking drugs. After 7 years of BS and submitting for tests, you just go and retire. Doesn't make you guilty wanting some peace and quiet and to move on with your life.

1. He submitted for drug tests before every race.
    2. The samples he submitted were tested.
    3. The samples all passed at the time according to standards agreed upon.

That being said, I'm sure all athletes at this level take some sort of enhancing drugs or vitamins. Then I'm sure they push the line as far as they can to get some sort of small 1% edge over their competition. But if he passed the test he passed the test. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Public trial? The USADA? the public courts said that they had no way to control/ stop the USADA as they were not under their jurisdiction.. This is not a trial he is forfeiting going to.. he has chosen to not go through a farce of a Arbitration that is final with no appeals process.
    ^^^THIS

The USADA has been pursuing a personal vendetta for years. Some of these races are over a decade old... time to move on. the USADA is working with unlimited time and funding.... eventually it just gets old.

Sent using Tapatalk

19. Likes DOSS liked this post

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-event...august-23-2012
    Lance Armstong's Statement of August 23, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas - August 23rd, 2012 - There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense.

I had hoped that a federal court would stop USADA’s charade. Although the court was sympathetic to my concerns and recognized the many improprieties and deficiencies in USADA’s motives, its conduct, and its process, the court ultimately decided that it could not intervene.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA’s process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and – once and for all – put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims. The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?

From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation. As respected organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges. The international bodies governing cycling have ordered USADA to stop, have given notice that no one should participate in USADA’s improper proceedings, and have made it clear the pronouncements by USADA that it has banned people for life or stripped them of their accomplishments are made without authority. And as many others, including USADA’s own arbitrators, have found, there is nothing even remotely fair about its process. USADA has broken the law, turned its back on its own rules, and stiff-armed those who have tried to persuade USADA to honor its obligations. At every turn, USADA has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods, all at U.S. taxpayers’ expense. For the last two months, USADA has endlessly repeated the mantra that there should be a single set of rules, applicable to all, but they have arrogantly refused to practice what they preach. On top of all that, USADA has allegedly made deals with other riders that circumvent their own rules as long as they said I cheated. Many of those riders continue to race today.

The bottom line is I played by the rules that were put in place by the UCI, WADA and USADA when I raced. The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex-teammate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves. It’s an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It’s just not right.

USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles. I know who won those seven Tours, my teammates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours. We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront. There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart.

Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities. This October, my Foundation will celebrate 15 years of service to cancer survivors and the milestone of raising nearly $500 million. We have a lot of work to do and I'm looking forward to an end to this pointless distraction. I have a responsibility to all those who have stepped forward to devote their time and energy to the cancer cause. I will not stop fighting for that mission. Going forward, I am going to devote myself to raising my five beautiful (and energetic) kids, fighting cancer, and attempting to be the fittest 40-year old on the planet.

UCI's official statements are that they are waiting for USADA to comply with their requests for information, which are deemed admissible even when a hearing is not pursued.

The 2009 to 2010 blood tests seem strong, at least from what USADA claims. I have a hard time believing they would create a hearing against such a major icon unless they had some physical evidence.

The reclamation of the titles seems like it could be a sloppy affair and turf battle. That said, UCI, seems willing to engage the process.

The World ADA has stated they believe that USADA acted properly and that Armstrong has just admitted guilt.

Multiple agencies have found signs of doping in his samples with third party testing. There is a reason these agencies maintain the samples over time instead of destroying them immediately.

And don't forget....UCI is a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Agency resolutions. They can appeal the process but they are technically/legally bound to participate in the process and likely to rulings.

As technology progresses we will have more and better ways to test people