Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons?

Assault Weapons?

What is the definition of an assault weapon?

Should they be banned?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    So many murders have been committed without an "assault" style weapon.. OK City bombing, 9/11, ad nausea.

For the sake or argument, let's say the POTUS gets away with yet another ban. The last ban grand-fathered existing assault-style weapons, so whats to prevent a lunatic from using one of those? Additionally, the crazies and criminals don't care about a "ban".. If they have one, or have access, they're still going to use it.

Per the FED, an assault weapon is classified as:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
    • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    • Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
    • Folding or telescoping stock
    • Pistol grip
    • Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
    • Detachable magazine.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

FYI, this is an assault weapon: My AR-15:

6. Likes Mooseman70 liked this post
    Hey Brute...that's a beautiful firearm. Funny thing is, I don't know you nor have ever met you, but I have trust that you'll never use that weapon to kill anyone. Some may say it's naive of me to give you the benefit of the doubt...but I can't help but feel that you're responsible.

I own firearms too, and the last thing I would ever do is turn on on someone unless I was defending myself. All these shooters have one thing in common...they're crazy. Angry crazy people with guns, knives, baseball bats, car bombs, ice picks...a slingshot, they don't mix.

Speaking of slingshots, I had one and never did anything bad with it. If some punk kid down the street uses his to take out windows and shoots at dogs then why should my parents take away mine? It's a knee jerk reaction.

There are probably millions of people in this country alone barley surfing on the edge of sanity...these types of things will never end. It's awful, yes...I was looking at some of the pictures of the kids and it made me sick to my stomach, but life can be harsh and we'll never have a perfect society, never.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I understand that criminals will get them anyway. However, would the gunman in the recent shooting (with no criminal record) have had access to an assault weapon if the laws were different? If they were not so readily available would that decrease some of the violence? The gun used was licensed and legal, etc. Of course the shooting could still have happend, but obviously an assault weapon is much more deadly when used. I guess I dont understand why the public needs them? For the record, I do own as described above assault weapons. Maybe a certain caliber is not allowed? I understand that there is very little middle ground...

Totally playing devils advocate here. It is a sensitive time of course. I had to send two of my kids to elementary school today and it certainly made me think after what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I understand that criminals will get them anyway. However, would the gunman in the recent shooting (with no criminal record) have had access to an assault weapon if the laws were different?
    Yes he would have had access. After he murdered his mother, he stole her weapons (per the news media). He was denied a purchase, but stole/took his mother's -- so, even if a ban existed, all existing weapons are generally grand-fathered in and still legal to own/use.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Hey Brute...that's a beautiful firearm. Funny thing is, I don't know you nor have ever met you, but I have trust that you'll never use that weapon to kill anyone.
    I too hope that's the case. I bought my AR-15, as an "FU" to the government and as a precaution against another pending ban. I don't anticipate ever having to use this AR, except for target shooting. The AR would not make a reasonable home defense weapon, so instead I use my "assault weapon style" shotgun for that.

Re: Assault Weapons?

For the record... the military considers a high powered rifle (deer rifle) to be the most deadly weapon available to a single soldier, not an assault rifle.

The reason being is a single man can snipe from a safe position, cause destruction over a wide area and than vanish to strike again.

The Texas bell tower, the DC sniper, and Kennedy assassination are a couple of examples....

Sent using Tapatalk

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    There is no nationwide average as it varies greatly for obvious reasons, but let me ask you--what is the police response time to your house?

Would the terror of standing by unarmed and watching your wife/husband/children being raped, murdered;be more powerful than the terror of stopping one of these acts?

If you have a tool that is going to have a chance of saving your families life, wouldn't you want the best tool available? Our police and military use AR type rifles so they must be pretty good, right?

Police generally arrive at a violent crime in time to gather evidence and document said crime. Up to the point of their arrival, your on your own.
    But hey, nothing terrible could happen in 3-10 minutes, right?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

14. Likes bowjunkie, BruteForce liked this post
    the guy was sick, he was evil. hard to legislate against evil.

any legislation is only going to effect the law abiding citizens not the nut jobs and criminals.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

16. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    But hey, nothing terrible could happen in 3-10 minutes, right?
    Response times to 911 calls normally take more then 10 minutes and response times of under 9 minutes are rare. So something to consider, if things go really bad you are probably on your own for at least the first 10 minutes.

Question----

Would an assault weapon ban have stopped the Newtown shooting?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Question----

Not at all, as I've previously responded. This person still had access to these weapons and would have probably reverted to the two pistols (not on the pending ban list) in his possession. Again, the LAW will not stop a criminal or nut-job.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Not at all, as I've previously responded. This person still had access to these weapons and would have probably reverted to the two pistols (not on the pending ban list) in his possession. Again, the LAW will not stop a criminal or nut-job.
    I have a bit more than this, I'll hold on for a bit.
    There IS an absolute answer(hint)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I am doing my first triple quote...

Would the terror of standing by unarmed and watching your wife/husband/children being raped, murdered;be more powerful than the terror of stopping one of these acts?
    I wasn't talking about a gun ban across the board. I was asking about assault weapons.

Question----

Nope. Next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Response times to 911 calls normally take more then 10 minutes and response times of under 9 minutes are rare. So something to consider, if things go really bad you are probably on your own for at least the first 10 minutes.
    I guess it depends, but I wonder if more people could be killed in 10 minutes with an assault weapon...

I am doing my first triple quote...

I wasn't talking about a gun ban across the board. I was asking about assault weapons.
    So was I, it is addressed in the next paragraph.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Scott
    You often advocate getting the newest high tech Apple devices--Why?

What's wrong with the Apple I or II?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

The first problem with your question is please describe and identify an assault weapon for me? The last time the Feds tried to ban assault weapons the firearms manufacturers just looked at the definition and designed around the issue....

For example.... bayonet lugs were removed (who cares, no one uses bayonets in modern warfare), the folding stocks were pinned (but could be turned into a folding stock by drilling out the pin), 10 round magazines were required (but the guns were designed to work with older 20 round magazines that were in plentiful supply), yada, yada....