Thread: Round Valley Draw worth it?

Round Valley Draw worth it?

We'll be travelling through Escalante near the end of September and have 2-1/2 days to do some hiking and slot canyons. There are 5 people in our party that have never been to Utah and I'm trying to plan our hikes so that they get the best bang for their short stay (we move to Zion after leaving Escalante).

We arrive around mid morning or noon our first day and I don't have a hike planned for that 1/2 day (My initial thought was upper Calf Creek Falls since I've done the lower).
    For our first full day, I was planning on doing Zebra, Devil's Garden, then Peak-A-Boo and Spooky which should take most of the day.
    Our last Day I was hoping to do the Coyote Gulch loop hike from Crack in the wall and exit Jacob Hamblin's Arch.

I was thinking that Round Valley draw might be a better option than upper Calf Creek falls but not sure it can be done in a half day or if it's worth it. Was hoping to get some input on this.

Thanks
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

About how busy/touristy is Round Valley Draw these days?

When I drove past the trailhead to Calf Creek Falls a few months ago it looked like the Las Vegas Strip there were so many people down there. Couldn't believe my eyes. We were temped to go to Disneyland to get away from the crowds in Escalante.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Have you done the hike, down the stream, from Upper Calf Creek Falls to the top of Lower? It is divine. In the water about half the way.

I have an ancient description here: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/image.../uppercalf.pdf

Tom

5. Likes kaniukr, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Have you done the hike, down the stream, from Upper Calf Creek Falls to the top of Lower? It is divine. In the water about half the way.

I have an ancient description here: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/image.../uppercalf.pdf

Tom
    Tom,

I actually have that description printed off and it's one of the reasons I was considering it. Although, as I read it again yesterday, I hadn't noticed the second page describing the alternate route from the West side, which do you prefer?

One of the reasons I was considering Round Valley Draw is that one of my crew is a little OCD and I need to keep him occupied with something a little more challenging. I saw the pictures on Bo and Tanya's site and thought it looked interesting.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Tom,

I actually have that description printed off and it's one of the reasons I was considering it. Although, as I read it again yesterday, I hadn't noticed the second page describing the alternate route from the West side, which do you prefer?

One of the reasons I was considering Round Valley Draw is that one of my crew is a little OCD and I need to keep him occupied with something a little more challenging. I saw the pictures on Bo and Tanya's site and thought it looked interesting.
    The west side is more of an adventure... but from the East makes a lot more sense.

T

I really enjoyed Round Valley Draw when I did it a few years ago. The stripes near the entry are really nice. It continues as a nice canyon, although I hadn't seen that many then. Perhaps if you've done loads and have very high expectations it might not live up to someone's definition of special.

But I remember it was very muddy - took ages to get it off our boots with a power hose and I had to rip the dried clay off my hairy legs which worked as a permanent waxing. My ankles are still hairless about 9 years later, but I haven't got round to marketing the stuff worldwide!

Did ya do round valley draw? Lots of people turn around at dryfall. https://youtu.be/zyMYS3DIBOk

Yes. I had done hardly any downclimbing or chimneying then, but someone who came with us helped us down the few awkward downclimbs. We took 2 girls aged about 6 and I think my wife was pregnant, so nothing was too dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk