Thread: Sardine Peak - New Snowbasin Ogden area trail

Sardine Peak - New Snowbasin Ogden area trail

It's finally done and it's in pretty good condition.

We parked at the lower Snowbasin parking lot and rode up the Coldwater Canyon Overlook trail, but right at the saddle there's the new trail that forks off to the North/Northeast.

The views were awesome even though we ran out of daylight. Meanwhile here are some photos, and video will follow soon.

We rode the loop clockwise, and I would suggest that as well. This made for a LONG downhill. When you join up with the trail at the bottom it's about 1/2 of easy uphill back to the dirt road, and then about another 1/3 mile to the parking lot.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100749669156101003180.0004931ad592a4cca9e7e&ll=41.226571,-111.873865&spn=0.043897,0.077162&t=h&z=14

Name:  IMGP0620 (Large)..jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0602 (Large)..jpg
Views: 910
Size:  116.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0596 (Large)..jpg
Views: 966
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0584 (Large)..jpg
Views: 973
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  IMGP0589 (Large)..jpg
Views: 879
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0599 (Large)..jpg
Views: 953
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0588 (Large)..jpg
Views: 906
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  IMGP0623 (Large)..jpg
Views: 905
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0604 (Large)..jpg
Views: 969
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0619 (Large)..jpg
Views: 910
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0585 (Large)..jpg
Views: 888
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0592 (Large)..jpg
Views: 931
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0591 (Large)..jpg
Views: 908
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0597 (Large)..jpg
Views: 917
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  IMGP0624 (Large)..jpg
Views: 895
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  IMGP0609 (Large)..jpg
Views: 955
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  IMGP0618 (Large)..jpg
Views: 905
Size:  50.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is gunna be a fun trail next year after a good winter to pack it down. Awesome views!
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

very nice beech, love the pics, looks like you need a light man!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Yeah I really need a light, it'll definitely keep me riding longer into the season. We were only on this trail for about an hour and 45 minutes, the last 20 were in the dark.

This trail is a little soft in some places right now but like Ryan says, a good winter will pack it down great. Mark and I were cruising down in the dark, he took a spill on one of the soft corners. I'll have to brighten the footage to see how it turned out.

I also just added to my original post that we rode the loop clockwise and would suggest that again. This made for a very long downhill, we kept waiting for it to end. Once you pop back on to the Maples trail at the bottom, you've got maybe 1/2 mile of easy uphill to the dirt road, and then maybe 1/3 mile back to the parking lot.

8 mile loop....per good old bruce on utahmountainbiking.com. I have a light you can test out if you want to try night riding, just let me know when!

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    I have a light you can test out if you want to try night riding, just let me know when!
    That might have avoided this. It was dark, loose, and our first time on the trail.
    (video from facebook)

...meh. Youtube is a little better (in 480p):

Looks great up there!

Had to try this out today, and even though it was Thursday afternoon, there were many bikers up there getting in a ride before the predicted winter weather that my weather-guesser says is coming Sunday.

Starting at Wheeler it's a 14.7 mile lollipop, with 2600 feet of climbing, but the downhill makes it all worthwhile. Ice Box is more fun when there is light.

The main trail up by Sardine Peak is on the south side of the peak, and according to the UFSF guy we talked to up there, the spur trail that is on the north side of the peak is for hiking. Currently it is a little sketchy and there are no signs, more work needs to be done on that part. They have pulled their equipment out for the winter, I guess they will be back up there in the spring to finish up that hiking part. Hiking part is not shown on map.

The trail is lots of fun even though it still needs some weather and tires to wear it into being even more fun. Like others have recommended clockwise on the lollipop is best, but the other way round is fun too. The trail grade is about 7% on both side of the peak.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106721438394524977499.0004932a1ab74b6652940&ll=41.235801,-111.853952&spn=0.074485,0.069609&t=h&z=14
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Gene

I agree, Icebox is more fun when there's light.

very nice, I am going up there right now to get one last shabang in! damn moose scares me on the scree, good old MR moose!

We were just getting done as you guys were starting your ride...only saw you as you rode past the gate there from the parking lot. We rode that loop only we went from over look trail head to the art norde trail head..then up and around and down the over look trail..made for some great down hill...on teh art nord side, until the trail gets used some more, it is too loose right now for a good down hill ride..the climb from art nord to the top is a good one, it will get your heart rate up, not so much you cant do it or have to walk..just a good work out climb.
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Quote Originally Posted by chromehead58 View Post
    We were just getting done as you guys were starting your ride...only saw you as you rode past the gate there from the parking lot.
    Oh so you were with those bigger guys, huh? Cool. I thought I might have seen somebody I recognized.

Here's the video, not much of one, I'm too busy - lol. The colors were great but I also wanted to show how dark it was when we were coming out of there. At 1:24 we get a little spooked. Strange new trail in the dark, and animals running right beside the trail.

well my buddies are the big guys...you rode right past my poly buddy..not many bikers bigger than he is..LOL...I take him along to make me feel like I can ride up hill! We need to hook up and ride even if it is the bonneville trial, now that the snow is flying, I think you would like this crew that I ride with..good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by chromehead58 View Post
    well my buddies are the big guys...you rode right past my poly buddy..not many bikers bigger than he is..LOL...I take him along to make me feel like I can ride up hill! We need to hook up and ride even if it is the bonneville trial, now that the snow is flying, I think you would like this crew that I ride with..good guys.
    Yeah, we should definitely hook up. I need some slower climbers. lol

friday afternoon we are going to ride either the bonneville or out to the island...intrested in going let me know.