Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adidas Canyoneering Shoe

Adidas Canyoneering Shoe

Here is a picture of the prototype Adidas Canyoneering shoe. The expected launch for the new adidas canyoning shoe is 2012.

Adidas Hydro Pro
    Name:  Adidas%20Hydro-Pr&#.jpg
Views: 12191
Size:  23.8 KB

And here is a link to the critique of the various prototypes tested that is kinda interesting.

Adidas Hydro-Pro Report

I hope it is as good as the Nike Canyoneering shoe was and they don't discontinue them like Nike did when they learned they couldn't sell a million a year.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shoe test, Mallorca
    June 1, 2011
    --------------------

Developing a sports shoe is a highly complex process. In most sports the shoe is supposed to support the athlete in exercising his discipline while tapping his full potential. What matters in outdoor sports, however, are not only the quality and function of a shoe, but first and foremost its safety features as “slippage” may have devastating consequences in the great outdoors.

Since development mainly feeds on experience, adidas has always worked closely with athletes. In this spirit, the business unit Outdoor consulted the adidas Canyoning Team for the development of their new canyoning shoe HYDRO-Pro and involved athletes Thomas Kracker from Germany, Luca und Anna Nizzola from Switzerland, Tom Zipperle from Italy as well as Chris Riepl, Alexander Riml and Ewald Holzknecht from Austria in the development process.

Preliminary stages started in summer 2010 when the perfect rubber compound for the sole was determined. Once everyone involved had approved this vital feature, adidas started producing the first prototypes in winter 2010/2011. In order not to lose too much time, the development department decided to test the shoes right away, which meant moving to warmer regions. The team opted for Mallorca where temperatures and water levels allow for canyoning as early as March.

adidas product developers, designers and marketing managers joined the adidas Cayoning Team to test the prototypes under the most extreme conditions exploring the limits of the material. While there was up to 80cm fresh snow in the Alps, the test crew was blessed with sunny weather and hiked through some of the most beautiful and challenging canyons on the Balearic Island. The Mortix with its impressive razor-sharp rock formations lead the group all the way down to the sea. With the Sa Fosca the testers explored an extremely deep, unusually tight and dark canyon. Finally, the test crew abseiled the high waterfalls of the Biniaraix. Based on the consolidated experience the shoe is currently improved before entering the long-term test phase.

„For me as a product tester it was amazing to see with how much effort and commitment adidas are developing their new canyoning shoe”, says certified canyoning instructor and mountain guide Alexander Riml from Austria. “For me one of the most important criteria during the field test was the grip of the shoe and thus the safety aspect. A shoe that does not comply with this requirement is not suitable for our sport, as the personal safety of each canyoneer depends on it. adidas has already fulfilled this condition 100 percent and wrapped remarkable functionality in an extraordinary design.” The expected launch for the new adidas canyoning shoe is 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by backofbeyond View Post
    Those are cool and they only weigh 1.170 grams for the size 8.

Yeah those are sweet where do you get them and how much are they?
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

They took the adidas through lime stone and granate canyons. i bet if they went through sand stone they would have only lasted 15 canyons. Thats all my sportiva exum rivers lasted.

Yah, that was my thought too. How many Mae West slots have these canyons seen? None. I do, however, like the bright orange. If I had a pair of these along with my 5.10's then I could accessorize a bit more. Although my red knee pad would not go too well with the bright orange.

Apparently we canyoneers are not too subtle with our color choice or at least that is how we are perceived. Bumble bee yellow and now neon orange.
    Life is Good

yeah look at the goober in the front of the group picture. i can handle yellow no problem but that orange is pretty rough. The guy probably isn't a goober but those shoes are ugly as sin. I do like the Bestards quite a bit but not for over $200 bones.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    i can handle yellow no problem but that orange is pretty rough. The guy probably isn't a goober but those shoes are ugly as sin.
    I hate the yellow, but I'm willing to live with it until 5.10 changes color schemes, which they won't.

5-10 loves for everyone to notice those shoes when the thousands of stick-people walk down the Narrows with them on, and it's like a billboard for Zion Adventure Co. "Those shoes look real comfy for this water. Do they work? Where did you get them?"

The orange Adidas is somehow worse.

I'd prefer a gray color myself, but since the 5.10 shoes work well for me, I'll stick with them.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    5-10 loves for everyone to notice those shoes when the thousands of stick-people walk down the Narrows with them on, and it's like a billboard for Zion Adventure Co. "Those shoes look real comfy for this water. Do they work? Where did you get them?"
    We have a running joke when hiking out the Narrows. Every time we pass a hiker wearing bumblebees and carrying a ZAC hiking staff ya say CHA-CHING!

It's also interesting to note that Adidas considers the 5.10 Canyoneer to be the yard-stick by which they measure their prototypes. To me that says alot about the respect given the 5.10 Canyoneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We have a running joke when hiking out the Narrows. Every time we pass a hiker wearing bumblebees and carrying a ZAC hiking staff ya say CHA-CHING!

It's also interesting to note that Adidas considers the 5.10 Canyoneer to be the yard-stick by which they measure their prototypes. To me that says alot about the respect given the 5.10 Canyoneers.
    Hey your very survival depends on that souvenir ZAC hiking staff. If nothing else, it could be burned as firewood for days. Makes me smile when I see those folks. At least you know they are open to suggestion.

Ken

I'm starting to feel ashamed that that was the way I did the Narrows (before I got into canyoneering). Though, I have to say, that stick was pretty helpful, though, now I think about it, pretty expensive for a stick.
    --Cliff

Seems using a zipper doesn't give much room for adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I'm starting to feel ashamed that that was the way I did the Narrows (before I got into canyoneering). Though, I have to say, that stick was pretty helpful, though, now I think about it, pretty expensive for a stick.
    We all had to start somewhere. I think my first hiking poles for the Virgin River were a pair of bamboo cross country ski poles that were never the same after that. I also purchased a pair of 5.10 shoes for the hike. This was well before they perfected the construction of the shoes (maybe 1990). The soles of the shoes delaminated during the hike from the head waters. To the credit of Adventure 16, they took the shoes back.

They look interesting.

One thing I wonder about is the closure system. A zipper could be a pro, or a con. The plus with the canyoneer is that the straps (as much as I hate them flapping around) can tighten the fit of the shoe. A zipper alone, on the other hand, would seem to leave the fit of the shoe at a fixed volume, not allowing you to "cinch" it up more.

Of course, this is just looking at it from pictures. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Hey your very survival depends on that souvenir ZAC hiking staff.
    So you get to keep the stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So you get to keep the stick?
    I didn't get to keep the stick. If people are getting to keep those sticks now, I totally got shafted!
    --Cliff

Well being one who dosen't only do canyons i bought a pair of 5.10 Savants and just put Seam Grip all over them. They acually look pretty cool, more like they were supose to have that stuff on there. So hopefully this will help out with the wear and tear of the couple of canyons i do a year. They look like the company made them with the Seam Grip on there the way i carfully brushed it on with my tiny brush and head lamp. (got a lot of crap from my wife makeing fun of me ) but like i said they look cool.

Name:  Savant Shoe with &.jpg
Views: 6482
Size:  65.9 KB

not the best lighting but i hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I didn't get to keep the stick. If people are getting to keep those sticks now, I totally got shafted!
    OK, I'm the idiot. I just assumed that those hippie capitalists at ZAC made these poor souls buy those sticks.

Canyonguru

You might want to consider reinforcing the area that I've circled. Love my Savants but they tend to blow out early for me in this area.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images