Page 25 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    Figure me this. Italy has about 60M people, and an average age at death of 82 (lets say 80). So every year 750,000 folks have to die (and have been) . Am I wrong?

Against which the Corona Virus death toll seems to not be a big deal, especially since it is hitting folks who were likley to die anyway.

This whole Covid 19 affair seems like global hysteria
    Yeah...my opinion a couple weeks ago was to let it run it's course like the good ole average yearly type flu...

But the realization that it's particularly nasty to the old folks shifted the whole thing...all those up in Seattle that died in the old folks home. That's when suddenly everyone realized this thing was serious. Having large numbers of these people being wheeled out in body bags all over the country would not be good...the politicians had to do something...damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Have they overreacted?...probably, maybe, maybe not? I'm not bothered by it...it's like a car steering straight for the only tree on the street as it careens along. Of course it hit the stinking tree. They had no choice, really.

A lot will be learned from this, and things will be back to normal once everyone gets back to work. Stock market will be fine. It'll all get behind us and another trillion dollars (or two) isn't going to kill anybody.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

^^^I agree with all of this. I guess what irks me the most with all of this are the folks who delight in catastrophes like this. They relish the fact that people are out of work and their retirement plans are getting decimated. I've heard of folks that are proposing we cancel school for the rest of the YEAR. I think this has to come to an end soon. May at the latest. Can you imagine what things would look like if everything remained on lockdown for a solid year? It would lead to the next Great Depression.

I gotta think that a nation full of stir crazy, cabin fever millennials won't let it get to that point.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes twotimer liked this post
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Now that's hardcore! Remember the movie World War Z? That's exactly what the Chinese did to themselves...started nuking their own cities.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    ^^^I agree with all of this. I guess what irks me the most with all of this are the folks who delight in catastrophes like this. They relish the fact that people are out of work and their retirement plans are getting decimated. I've heard of folks that are proposing we cancel school for the rest of the YEAR. I think this has to come to an end soon. May at the latest. Can you imagine what things would look like if everything remained on lockdown for a solid year? It would lead to the next Great Depression.

I gotta think that a nation full of stir crazy, cabin fever millennials won't let it get to that point.
    Oh, it's not going to go on that long. As soon as Trump and all those brainiacs around him say "things are looking better", then some Governor is going to make the first move and within 3 days everything will open back up...back to the rat race.

Adam Corolla was on Tucker Carlson's show tonight and had a nice perspective...he said (I paraphrase a little) "Relax, have some fun. Play with the kids. Do a crossword puzzle with the wife, screw on the couch, enjoy the time off 'cuz the treadmill is just waiting for you to get right back on it".
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post

I still don't know anyone personally with Covid-19,

Same here, I don't even know anybody with the flu

15. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Name:  C6488AD4-11F6-44CF-86CC-7411A9C87F1E.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  25.3 KB
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

17. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Same here, I don't even know anybody with the flu
    My mom is sick and home with cough and fever... not Covid-19 and she hasn't had a respiratory test to know what it is, really no point. A virus runs its course as long as you don't need medical attention you just go with it. Like I said I don't know anyone personally but positive Covid is happening in our neck of the woods along with a few other Coronaviruses, Metapneumovirus, with Flu A H1N1 being predominate. But what I find interestingly is that just this week there were 68 Flu positive tests reported state wide. (<a href="http://health.utah.gov/epi/diseases/influenza/surveillance/2019-2020/Utah_Weekly_Influenza_Report.html#influenza-associated-hospitalizations">http://health.utah.gov/epi/diseases/influenza/surveillance/2019-2020/Utah_Weekly_Influenza_Report.html#influenza-associated-hospitalizations</a>) And state wide we have 78 Covid-19 cases. On Monday there were 29 cases and today we have 78 cases with 68 being native Utahans and 10 visitors. (<a href="https://www.abc4.com/news/health/coronavirus/19-cases-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-utah-some-of-them-young-students/">https://www.abc4.com/news/health/coronavirus/19-cases-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-utah-some-of-them-young-students/</a>) that is pretty big jump in 3 days.

Flu 68 cases in 7 days 9.7 per day so 10 a day. (if the site is up to date and accurate)
    Covid-19 49 cases in 3 days 16.3 or 16 per day.

That makes me take this more seriously than I did a week ago when I very much thought they were over reacting.
    Chere'

19. Likes savanna3313, Iceaxe, oldno7, accadacca liked this post
    Shredded T-shirts used as toilet paper clogged California city's sewer, officials believe

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ic/2880815001/

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Shredded T-shirts used as toilet paper clogged California city's sewer, officials believe

Omigosh this is out of control.

The CDC says the regular non-scary flu kills roughly 646,000 people a year worldwide.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...-who-estimated

Somebody please explain to me why we're not freaking out about the regular flu?

24. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    The CDC says the regular non-scary flu kills roughly 646,000 people a year worldwide.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...-who-estimated

Somebody please explain to me why we're not freaking out about the regular flu?
    Stolen from someone else...

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on. 🤓
    Chere'

Name:  8B54384E-1A91-443E-9693-3ADAA218AAC3.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  22.6 KB

27. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    How bass-ackwards is our society becoming with this Wuhan Virus.

It is now illegal to go camping down in S Central Utah ( Moab, Swell). If you are caught, you will be arrested. https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-In...Ci26F0SGJMNNJc

Meanwhile, in other jurisdictions, they are letting out inmates early and not arresting people for some crimes to limit spread of Chinese Wuhan Virus. https://www.ksl.com/article/46731458...ffs-group-says

So, If you were incarcerated for committing a real crime, you might get out early, and other crimes you won’t get arrested for at all - because they don’t want inmates to contract and spread the virus. But do something as horrific as go camping, they will gladly haul your ass to jail. Why- because you might be infected with the virus, and might spread it to the population.... like inmates in prison?

The only thing government does well and consistently is tripping over its own dock and falling flat on its face.

Name:  9C155C01-3FDE-437B-A457-C04C2528B551.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  E74282D9-DEE4-4EBC-B050-1B0B58EF2608.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  19.2 KB

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/salt-lake-county-issues-public-health-order-banning-gatherings-of-more-than-10-people

29. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Name:  90732D86-05FA-452B-B30F-435D6540A031.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  18.4 KB

Designated Survivor.

31. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

If only they could just shit in the street===oh, wait..
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Name:  7A159FFF-DC5F-4E94-A785-486A123B6450.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  19.0 KB

34. Likes rockgremlin, twotimer, dougrz, oldno7 liked this post
    So is it possible that they now shut down all 57 states?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

36. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum