Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us YOUR ride:

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I have 2 chainrings, one is a 28t for really big climbing days and early season stuff. I also have a 32t oval chainring that I'll put on there when I'm back in shape.
    Do you have to swap out chains also when you swap chainrings?
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Do you have to swap out chains also when you swap chainrings?
    Hey Steve,

I've had no problem switching between chainrings that are only 2 teeth different in size. The oval experiment will be an interesting one. Supposedly, the 32t oval ring only has the same length of chain engagement as a round 30t ring. So, theoretically, I won't have an issue. I've never tried it though.

Good to know. I'm guessing you've noticed a big difference in climbing with the 28 vs. 32?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Good to know. I'm guessing you've noticed a big difference in climbing with the 28 vs. 32?
    Yes. Honestly, the 28 has been really nice. I'm a fast cadence, spinner, so I like to have the lower gear. I especially like having the SRAM setup with the 10t cassette cog. That one tooth (vs. the 11t Shimano) actually makes a pretty big difference on the top end speed.

Most of the time when I am spun out, I don't necessarily want to go any faster anyway. I'm not doing any pavement commuting on this bike, so the top end range hasn't been too much of an issue.

Cool. Good to know. I'm a total noob with this 1x11 thang. I'm more of a masher so, I'm hoping the 30 will work well for me. With that being said, I'm also getting old so, we'll see. I also don't use this bike for pavement riding since I bought a road bike last year. I'm happy to hear you haven't needed to swap chains out with the ring swap.
    Are we there yet?

So why the renewed interest in oval chain rings among MTB rider's? We went through this once before in the 80's when oval chain rings were all the rage and after a couple years everyone was back to standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So why the renewed interest in oval chain rings among MTB rider's? We went through this once before in the 80's when oval chain rings were all the rage and after a couple years everyone was back to standard.
    It's definitely an experiment for me. The new crop of oval rings, however, are a completely different beast from the original BioPace rings from the yesteryear. Supposedly the old ones were clocked 90 degrees differently than the newer versions. Basically, the incorrect clocking rendered all their claims incorrect. My buddy has one on the new ones and really likes it, so I figured I'd give it a shot as I needed a new ring anyway.

The basic premise is you are pushing two different chainrings throughout your pedal stroke. In the "power zone" (or whatever their terminology is) you are pushing the 32t (in my example) and in the "Dead Zone" you are pushing a 30t.
    Once I get some time on it, I'll report back.

9. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    My trusty steed, gets me from A to B...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Our mechanic finally got my 1x11 done! Can't wait to ride it!

Name:  13174016_10209701983811272_8125663258033364600_n.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  67.8 KBName:  13133163_10209701986251333_5268035044700987965_n.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  60.8 KB
    Are we there yet?

Thoughts after a short, quick ride in Lambert Park yesterday afternoon. I loved it! Don't know if it's all psychological but, the bike just felt spry and better balanced. Hard to explain. I loved the simplicity. I loved the no chain slap due to the Shadow clutch derailleur although the shifting itself was much noisier than my old Sram with a fairly loud 'clunk'. Especially when going up to the bigger cogs. The 30T front chainring felt about right on the really steep, albeit short, climbs on Spring and Middle getting up to the top of Rodeo. I only had to drop into the 42 cog on the steepest of stuff and I went up it just fine. We'll see how I do on the 4 mile climbs up AF Canyon this summer though before I make final judgement.
    Are we there yet?

After a long wait due to short supply my YT Capra is here.

Found myself no longer pushing my DH bike anywhere near its potential so I wanted a long travel all mountain bike instead. Hoping to get out for a quick test ride Saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Name:  20161116_193613.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  38.2 KB

Carbon hardtail that I built up over the summer - XT drive train and brakes, DT Swiss hubs and rims, Reverb dropper post, RaceFace cranks, Maxxis tires, WTB Seat, Fatty Stripper tubless, etc... Just under 28 lbs. (tire selection and dropper added 2 lbs... could have finished under 26!)

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Carbon hardtail that I built up over the summer - XT drive train and brakes, DT Swiss hubs and rims, Reverb dropper post, RaceFace cranks, Maxxis tires, WTB Seat, Fatty Stripper tubless, etc... Just under 28 lbs. (tire selection and dropper added 2 lbs... could have finished under 26!)
    Nice! Gotta love a lite-weight fatbike! I got my Farley down to 27lbs- which ain't too bad for an XL size with dropper post.
    Are we there yet?

AF Canyon was a brisk 4 degrees this morning but, couldn't have been more beautiful!

Name:  20161226_101259_resized.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  94.8 KB
    Are we there yet?

19. Likes accadacca, double moo liked this post
    Fatbike snow angel.

Name:  Fatbike Snow Angel.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  46.8 KB
    Are we there yet?

21. Likes accadacca liked this post
    There's a bathroom somewhere under all that snow. Last Friday evening. Timpooneke Campground. Name:  Fatbike Lots of Snow.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  160.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

23. Likes devo_stevo, accadacca, qedcook liked this post
    Pedaling to the summit of the Alpine Loop yesterday afternoon was the best it's been so far this season. The road had been groomed earlier in the morning so I was pedaling on firm corduroy for much of the ascent. Beautiful blue, smog-free skies with the temp at the summit at a balmy 44 degrees. Going again this afternoon if anyone wants in (although I'll probably pedal up the Mineral Basin road instead).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Are we there yet?

25. Likes Sombeech, Iceaxe liked this post
    New bike almost done! Too bad it's supposed to be a crappy weather day tomorrow.

Name:  Procaliber.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  30.2 KB
    Are we there yet?

27. Likes devo_stevo, accadacca liked this post
    With the availability of XXL size bikes running thin, I thought I'd better grab something before they quit making them completely. So, I bought a 2017 Trek Procaliber frame and moved everything over from my Supefly that I could. The only thing I ended up having to buy was a new rear wheel as this frame has the newer Boost 148 width on it. Oh, I did buy a dropper post for it as well. After running a dropper on my fatbike all winter long, I can't ride without one now. I'm spoiled I guess. Anyway, I took it out and pedaled the Eagle Mountain trails yesterday. These trails were a good testing ground for a 1st ride what with all the embedded rock out there. The biggest thing I noticed was how soft of a ride the carbon frame feels compared to the harshness of my aluminum Superfly. That, along with the IsoSpeed decoupler, made for a really comfortable ride. My lower back felt pretty good after 17 miles, which I haven't been able to say for quite some time now.

Name:  Procal 1.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  87.4 KBName:  Procal 2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  109.2 KBName:  Procal 3.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  115.6 KBName:  Procal 4.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  71.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

29. Likes devo_stevo, Iceaxe liked this post
    Name:  Capra 2.jpg