Thread: Mystery Canyon

Mystery Canyon

Can't find any recent trip reports for mystery canyon. Headed through Sunday and would love to know if a wetsuit is needed (lake, spring conditions)?

Thanks,
    Roger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Haven't been lately but we never take wetsuits. Not enough water to justify it. Take a fleece to toss on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Likes rogerlodge liked this post
    Blog Entries
    There *could* be water at the "lake"...

I just recently went through Pine Creek today and that was the most water I have seen in there! Clean too.

And for about an hour or so it rained pretty steady in Zion yesterday. And the day before that it rained heavier for about 2 hours in the morning.

Keyhole is topped off too.

I'd expect most canyons in Zion to be topped for the next week or two.

But Mystery lake....definitely some but i dunno if it's a swimmer or just a wader.

My suggestion, like Mark, is no wetsuit given how short the water duration is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes dakotabelliston, rogerlodge, nrhardin liked this post
    I've never used a wetsuit in Mystery. Blast through any water and pack a fleece in a dry bag to warm up if required.

8. Likes rogerlodge liked this post
    Blog Entries
    So....how was it? Get rained out?

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

10. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerlodge View Post
    Can't find any recent trip reports for mystery canyon. Headed through Sunday and would love to know if a wetsuit is needed (lake, spring conditions)?

Thanks,
    Roger
    It is cold out. The canyon is wet.

Depends on the crowd, but I would take a wetsuit this time of year, perhaps just the shortee. I like to enjoy canyons.

Tom

12. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Bailed based on weather report, but by 9am rain chance had dropped from 40-50 to 15%.

I did Mystery for the first time at the end of October of last year, and the "lake" was definitely full. Everyone says it's usually dry or boggy - I guess we got lucky. Here's a video of our trip. The lake starts at 2:15. https://www.facebook.com/ericlinnn/v...77272691587839

15. Likes Scott P, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerlodge View Post
    Bailed based on weather report, but by 9am rain chance had dropped from 40-50 to 15%.

That damn weather !!! We were in Orderville last Saturday & got a good 30 minute pounding of rain. The canyon floor rose 2 feet & waterfalls surrounded us. Luckily we were able to get out of flood zone by climbing up the side. We were supposed to descend Behunin on Sunday & cancelled due to rain in the forecast. On our drive home we noticed it dropped to 15%. Disappointed, but better safe then sorry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    That damn weather !!! We were in Orderville last Saturday & got a good 30 minute pounding of rain. The canyon floor rose 2 feet & waterfalls surrounded us. Luckily we were able to get out of flood zone by climbing up the side. We were supposed to descend Behunin on Sunday & cancelled due to rain in the forecast. On our drive home we noticed it dropped to 15%. Disappointed, but better safe then sorry.
    I was in Springdale at the same time and those waterfalls were sweet! I love waterfalls in the desert.

But afterwards, Keyhole, Mystery and Pine Creek were topped off nicely! Very clean water. PC had some long swims even, so that was a treat. :)

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I was in Springdale at the same time and those waterfalls were sweet! I love waterfalls in the desert.

But afterwards, Keyhole, Mystery and Pine Creek were topped off nicely! Very clean water. PC had some long swims even, so that was a treat. :)

That would have been perfect !!! Jealous I couldn't stick around throughout this past week. I'll be back this weekend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    You'll have a good time! So the water will be cold but not hypothermic cold if that makes sense.

But every Canyon in Zion should be topped off pretty well. Which I prefer.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

20. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post