Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2014

QB is the one position that doesn't improve with a mission. Most positions benefit from the 2 years of maturity, but RM's never seem to make it bach to star QB.

Just curious... I though Connor Manning was the great Ute hope?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious... I though Connor Manning was the great Ute hope?

Well, his credentials look pretty good. I wonder why the almost ZERO participation in games?

Conner Manning
    Class:
    Freshman
    Hometown:
    Lake Forest, Calif.
    High School:
    El Toro HS
    Height / Weight:
    6-1 / 190
    Position:
    QB
    Birthdate:
    09/11/1994
    Experience:
    RS

UTAH: Split the No. 2 reps in spring camp.
    2013-Redshirt.
    HIGH SCHOOL: Broke Matt Barkley's Orange Country record for single-season passing yards as a junior in 2011, completing 327-of-527 passes for 4,219 yards and 41 touchdowns (8 interceptions) ... 9,449 career passing yards ranks second in Orange County history behind Barkley's 9,471 yards ... set the Orange County single-game passing mark with 613 yards (44-of-58) against Valhalla HS in 2012 ... also had seven TD passes in that game ... as a senior in 2012, he completed 65% of his pass attempts (319-of-490) for 4,062 yards and 41 TDs (10 interceptions) ... including his sophomore season, when he passed for 1,168 yards and six touchdowns, his career totals were 9,449 yards and 88 touchdowns to just 26 interceptions ... 2011 Orange County Offensive Player of the Year, CIF Southwest division co-Offensive Player of the Year and Sky View League MVP ... 2011 first-team Max Preps California Division II all-state and Cal Hi Sports first-team all-state underclassman ... 2012 second-team Max Preps California Division I all-state ... 2012 Rivals.com all-Southern section first team ... first-team all-Orange County as a junior and senior ... earned three letters in football at El Toro HS and was a two-year team captain.
    PERSONAL: Son of Steve and Patty Manning ... both parents are San Diego State graduates ... two brothers and one sister ... brother Chris played baseball at Valparaiso University (2011-14) ... has not declared a major ... born Sept. 11, 1994.

Participation G
    2014 1
    TOTAL 1

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Bowl Predictions? Here is what I've seen from a few random websites...

The Sun Bowl vs Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame or N.C. State. The Holiday Bowl vs Notre Dame.
    Here is my prediction.... Stanford will leapfrog Utah and play in the Foster Farms bowl in San Francisco at the new Levi Stadium that is only a few miles from their campus... This will cause a domino effect pushing Utah down to the Las Vegas Bowl, who really wants them.

We shall see if my crystal ball is accurate or not...

I would be happy to see them in the Vegas bowl. Easy trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Here is my prediction.... Stanford will leapfrog Utah and play in the Foster Farms bowl in San Francisco at the new Levi Stadium that is only a few miles from their campus... This will cause a domino effect pushing Utah down to the Las Vegas Bowl, who really wants them.
    Called it...

But I believe the Utes deserved better than Vegas.

The big advantage in going to a bowl game is you get 10 extra days of practice, much of which is spent coaching up players who will be next years team. It's almost like getting an extra spring practice.

"Colorado State is the No. 12 total offense and the No. 21 scoring offense in the country. Running back Dee Hart is ranked No. 10 in yards per carry (6.71) and receiver Rashard Higgins leads the nation with 17 receiving touchdowns."

"As for other match-ups, Devontae Booker could be an issue for CSU. The Rams struggled to contain Jay Ajayi early in the year, and are the 87th-ranked run defense in the country, though that may be skewed by having to face option teams New Mexico and Air Force this season."

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofuspor...colorado-state

Would not be surprised to see Conner Manning, Brandon Cox and possibly even Travis Wilson transfer after the semester.

Would not be surprised to see Donovan Isom come out of Spring looking like a possibility to lead the Utes.

Connor Manning doesn't fit what Dave Christensen wants to do.

I think Christensen is just fine with having K. Thompson or J. Thompson hold down the position until Isom or outside chance, possibly Hansen take the keys.

Hey deuce - why no Travis Wilson next semester? I don't think he's built a favorable enough resume to go anywhere else. I think it would be a bigger pain in the arse to transfer than it would to just stick out one last year.

Unless of course they give him the boot.

I think he sees the writing on the wall. Maybe pride? He may stick through the Spring, but best chance to make an impact, he needs a Spring with the new team. Which will be a FCS team if TW's can't graduate before, which may also dictate one more semester if he's close to graduation.

I just don't think this team, coaches & players are confident in Wilson.... Hell, I don't know if Wilson is confident in himself.... The Utes did everything they could to give the starting QB job to anyone who'd take it in the Spring, then again the the Fall....almost stayed with Wilson by default. That won't happen again.

I think its 50/50 at best that Wilson is on the roster next year.

Christensen ruined Wilson... Kendall was Christensen's boy... the problem is Wilson is better than Kendall. The coaching staff has destroyed Wilson's confidence.

The interesting part is around the PAC 12 Wilson is considered as one of the better QB's. Usually ranked around 5th in the conference, which might not be top tier but it's better than being in the bottom half.

The Utes should commit to Wilson's for next year if they want to be successful. Trading QB's every years is about as successful as trading OC's and installing a new offense every year.... oh wait... we already do that....

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Hell, I don't know if Wilson is confident in himself....

I agree with that. The three home games they lost I saw two versions of TW:

1. The TW that starts the game in the first quarter, slinging and running for decent yardage, no interceptions, and even a score here and there.

2. The TW that starts the second half who is absolutely worthless after a few mistakes or miscues.

In the Arizona game I watched him throw twice (in two plays) to the same Arizona defender, the second time it was picked. There wasn't a Ute anywhere in the vicinity. It was as if he was intentionally throwing an interception.

Once he screws up a few times he's toast. May as well just bench him to stop him from doing something blatantly retarded. Really goes to show how performance on the field is as much a mental challenge as a physical one.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Once he screws up a few times he's toast.
    The official coaching term is "bench eye"... once Wilson screws up he has his eye on the bench watching for signs he is about to get pulled. You can't play like that...

Utah Football 2014

Booker has filed paperwork with the National Football League seeking feedback if he were to forego his final season of collegiate eligibility.

Oh brother. One breakout season and he fancies himself an NFL star.

It's not unusual.... all this really does is give s guy an idea where he would be drafted. the NFL advises to stay in school if you are not a first or second round prospect, which Booker is not.

I just bought my tickets...5th row. Go Utes!

Hackett wins Ray Guy Award as best punter in nation
    By Josh Furlong

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah punter Tom Hackett won the Ray Guy Award Thursday night at the ESPN College Football Awards Show in Florida.
    Hackett, who was also named as a first-team Walter Camp All-Americans earlier in the day, becomes the first punter in school history to win the Ray Guy Award. Hackett leads the nation in punts inside the 20-yard line (35) and inside the 10-yard line (19). He finished the season with an average 47.0 yards per punt.
    Hackett is a two-time first-team All-Pac-12 pick and is the Pac-12 leader in punts inside the 20-yard line, landing 35-of-77 (45.5 percent) punts inside the 20-yard line. Hackett joins teammate senior Nate Orchard as a first-team Walter Camp All-American. The Ray Guy Award is given to the nations best punter and is evaluated “on their overall statistics and contribution to the team.” Voters focused a punters’ net average, percentage of total punts inside the 20-yard line and percentage of punts not returned. Hackett beat out freshman Alabama punter JK Scott and sophomore Idaho punter Austin Rehkow.

Being a junior this year, I wonder if he'll want to just forego his senior year for the NFL?