Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunlock Falls at Gunlock Reservoir

Gunlock Falls at Gunlock Reservoir

This is the place to be in the St George area right now, maybe for another few weeks and it will dry up. I think a lot of people will see all of the photos on Facebook and Instagram, will start planning a trip for May of this year, and will be disappointed.

EDIT, scratch that, these falls are still going strong as of May and likely June of this year per several reports including @jman

I've got a ton of video to go through, but I showed up at sunrise one morning and was the only person there, got some decent video. Then I went back with the family at mid day and the place was a zoo.

Here's a shot at sunrise.

Sample video:

And here it is at mid day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is an observation in crowd stupidity. When I arrived at sunrise, this pocket was full of fee envelopes. When we came back, the envelopes were gone, and people were just putting cash in the pocket. They would lift up the red lid and put cash in. There was about $25 in cash, and I'll bet $25 that it wasn't the total amount that was left there during the day.

It didn't last long, on our way out, somebody had snagged the cash and left a $1 bill as a token of gratitude.

I don't understand why somebody, multiple people, would just leave cash there.

Part of this is the fault of Gunlock Reservoir Park management, they need to place a SECURE fee envelope deposit bin right there, instead of this flimsy plastic trapper keeper.

On the way in:

On the way out:

These are the same people that hand chumps on the street cash. I never give money to bums...may as well just hand them a bottle of vodka or a pack of smokes.

I'd walk right past that little red box...somebody left one dollar, eh? That bought off their guilt.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Maybe the rangers already came through and took the $25?

What did you do with your $24?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Maybe the rangers already came through and took the $25?

What did you do with your $24?
    Buy a bottle of vodka and a pack of smokes.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

7. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I wonder how many people are dumb enough to write checks and let their bank account get stolen there?

Looks cool, but the crowds look annoying.
    Thanos was right

The active outdoor crowd knew about these falls at least a month ago, even those that check from year to year if they are flowing.

The majority of people are starting to find out about them on Instagram and Facebook, so they are now planning a trip to go visit, not realizing these falls are on a short time span.

It reminds me of the people that would see my Fall Colors footage at Snowbasin when it went viral, and at the end of November I would still get messages from total strangers asking about travel arrangements and how to get there to see the Fall Colors. I know for a fact that some people went up to Snowbasin to see the fall colors, a month after they had all died out because they finally saw it on Facebook. That only further fueled the accusations of "I think the video was enhanced"

Name:  20190405_132529.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  82.0 KB

^^^ Check out the little kid at the bottom of the frame three knuckles deep in his bunghole.

Name:  20190405_132529.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  82.0 KB

^^^ Check out the little kid at the bottom of the frame three knuckles deep in his bunghole.
    LOL let me see if I have other photos of that kid

wait, I'd better check if it's my kid first

Nope, ok let me look for more

I'm hearing several reports that the Gunlock Waterfalls are still flowing, and even stronger than my video here:

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm hearing several reports that the Gunlock Waterfalls are still flowing, and even stronger than my video here:
    Damn this place is so gorgeous!

You know it's kind of a shame that they can't make Gunlock run all year. It really is rare to have a situation where clean, fresh water runs over redrock. Normally if water is flowing over redrock it's all silty and dirty. The only other place I can think of that rivals Gunlock is Havasupai.

Damn this place is so gorgeous!

You know it's kind of a shame that they can't make Gunlock run all year. It really is rare to have a situation where clean, fresh water runs over redrock. Normally if water is flowing over redrock it's all silty and dirty. The only other place I can think of that rivals Gunlock is Havasupai.
    It would generate some more traffic that's for sure. Any other time in the past 7 years it's just dead and out of the way from everything.

Had to happen eventually. I hope this dude doesn't ruin it for the rest of us.

And I also hope it isn't @jman.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46564505...-gunlock-falls
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 06-01-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Had to happen eventually. I hope this dude doesn't ruin it for the rest of us.

And I also hope it isn't @jman.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46564505...-gunlock-falls
    Still here, thankfully. Too bad about this guy though. He jumped off the lower gorge area where its 60+ feet. I think we all knew it would eventually happen.

You would think of so many reminders in the world of how fragile life is - 99% of people get it. 60 is too high for me and probably most people too.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Still here, thankfully. Too bad about this guy though. He jumped off the lower gorge area where its 60+ feet. I think we all knew it would eventually happen.

You would think of so many reminders in the world of how fragile life is - 99% of people get it. 60 is too high for me and probably most people too.
    This one here is at South Point, Hawaii. It's about 60ft. I won't jump any higher than this, either.

Name:  Hawaii with Kim 276.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  209.8 KB
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I'm sorry but I don't believe that bottom fall at Gunlock is 60 feet. I could be wrong, of course.

I always reference the top platform at Lava Hot Springs, which is 33 feet. There's a habit with cliff jumping to always add 20 feet.

It's possible the complete distance from top to bottom of the rambling falls is 60 feet, but not the 1 jump.

21. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Gunlock Falls at Gunlock Reservoir

Just a heads up: Gunlock Reservoir is once again over-flowing! It started maybe a week or so back. My rock-climbing friend who lives down in St. George confirmed it with me just today.

Go see em before June (when the snow pack dwindles off and irrigation is in full force)
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

23. Likes blueeyes liked this post

25. Likes devo_stevo, Sombeech, oldno7, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Reservoir officials "stopped" the overflow from going to the spillway, due to people not following social distancing protocols due to COVID19.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46750518...-the-water-off

Here is a picture back from April of 2006 when I first heard about Gunlock and we had the entire place to ourselves on a Saturday. Literally, no one else besides us 5 and even before there was a $10 entrance fee.
    Crazy to think the effect of social-media had on this place the following years.

Name:  IMG_0030.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  98.9 KB
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

27. Likes rockgremlin liked this post