Thread: Is there any chance the Narrows will be open by this coming Sunday (May 26)?

Is there any chance the Narrows will be open by this coming Sunday (May 26)?

I believe I know the answers, but still wanted to know from the local experts...Is there any chance the Narrows will be open by this coming Sunday (May 26)?

I have a permit for Mystery, but have a feeling that I'll have to use my backup canyon that day.

Thx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would put the odds somewhere between pigs flying and ice cubes in hell.

YMMV

4. Likes darhawk, ratagonia, blueeyes, nkanarik liked this post
    With the amount of runoff that we're getting so far this year + this Spring being exceptionally wet, I'm betting the Narrows will be a no-go zone.

According to the following site, the Virgin is around 10' ~ which is pretty high, although it needs another 6-7 feet before it's considered flood stage.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...slc&gage=nfvu1
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    here are some photos shared by the park of the slide that took out the path, it could take a while to repair, but then again how crucial is this path to Narrows itself being open?

Name:  61254523_2474602315904060_8727700886404464640_o.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  60540464_2474763869221238_8942002235303264256_n.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  258.9 KB

Name:  60889916_2474763592554599_5542926144715620352_n.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  49.1 KB

And Cedar Mountain received another 16" of snow this week with even more expected. Snotel is still reading 72" of snow on top of the mountain. Maybe by June 26

Current flows are between 800 cfs and 1200 cfs if I read the chart correctly. It has to be at 150 cfs to open. Not happening....
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Current flows are between 800 cfs and 1200 cfs if I read the chart correctly. It has to be at 150 cfs to open. Not happening....
    Which chart was that? The chart I posted above from the NOAA website looks like the flows were hovering around 0.4 - 0.5 kcfs (or 400 - 500 cfs).

Not saying you're wrong, just curious...

Either way, you're right -- not happening.

Here is the page: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?site_no=09406000 Obviously I was averaging the past several days.
    Life is Good

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Thanks for the link, Scott. Interesting that the waterdata for USGS would be so much higher than what is reported by NOAA (probably more dependable too).

Blog Entries
    This snow year is very close to the snow year in 2011 and 2005 (or 2006?) and the Narrows didn’t open until nearly the 2nd week of July...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

This is probably more accurate and the one I meant to post. This graph is at Springdale where the other was at Virgin. So the average is more like 400 to 800 cfs.
    Life is Good

This is a fun page too. You can see the past year, compare years...etc. I would post a picture but it is an interactive page.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitorin...tion/09405500/
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    This is a fun page too. You can see the past year, compare years...etc. I would post a picture but it is an interactive page.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitorin...tion/09405500/

This is a great link! The format is much sexier and user friendly than any of the others.

The sign says upstream...My plan was for downstream
    Anyhow...seems like I'm going to do Spry instead, not a bad fallback option

One more question...I plan on taking some canyoneering newbies to Water Canyon (which I have done in the past)...anything I should be concerned about due to snow melt / wet spring?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    The sign says upstream...My plan was for downstream
    Anyhow...seems like I'm going to do Spry instead, not a bad fallback option

One more question...I plan on taking some canyoneering newbies to Water Canyon (which I have done in the past)...anything I should be concerned about due to snow melt / wet spring?
    You mean like, you will be rappelling in waterfalls, next to waterfalls, etc. You'll be using contingency anchors, etc. Longest rap in there is 165'... The water flowing is snowmelt, so it tends to be cold.

How's your Class-C skillset?

Tom

If it got 10 degrees colder, maybe the melt off would slow down and the Narrows could be open...

Tom

It has been cold, the melt off has been slow. And we have had a bunch of rain, which I think gets trapped in the snow up high, adding to the water content. Crazy year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

22. Likes Scott Card, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    It has been cold, the melt off has been slow. And we have had a bunch of rain, which I think gets trapped in the snow up high, adding to the water content. Crazy year.
    Yesh! It’s been a wild year down there for sure. It’s fun looking at those trends foe the previous years and comparing them to this year.

Right now in 2019: above 500 CFS
    Right now in 2018: nearly 60 CFS

And the snowmelt has a good 25-35+ days of snow melt to go.

We (Bogley, CC...whoever) should do a bet to a guess when the Narrows opens this year...free prize? Kinda fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"