Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapons?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    It's funny. In my neighborhood, I'm one of 2 non-Mormons. The common thread thus far has been, "if the Zombie apocalypse hits, they will hide at my house". My comment has always been, " I will hit your house first for your food stores, before I eat my dogs/cats and kids". You too could be on the menu, so don't get too comfortable in my basement".

Why is so much of my neighborhood dependent on my "Neighborhood Watch" stuff and access and training with weapons?
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. Likes Byron liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The big news in Colorado today is that applications for guns (background checks) were so high this weekend that it swamped the system. The last few days have seen the highest increase for gun applications in our history.

Certainly, some of these people fear regulations, but I'd bet that most are buying for personal protection more than anything else. Talk all they want, but as long as we are all living, guns in this country will be ubiquitous. Shootings like this will continue to happen, people will yell and scream...pointing fingers, but nothing will really change. Just cross you fingers and hope it's not you or someone you know.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

5. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Certainly, some of these people fear regulations, but I'd bet that most are buying for personal protection more than anything else.
    An excellent point, after major tragedies like this we see a spike in gun ownership. Is it ever anticipated that there must be a spike of gun violence coming up? Ever? Not that I can recall. So there must be SOME reason the majority of gun owners react to these situations, and it's with self defense in mind.

One of the main reasons for the assault weapon ban is because of the number of bullets that can be held in a clip. Like the woman said in her testimony before the court, it took 1 second or less to load that extra clip. Where most people will say "that's when you can take the shooter down, when he's reloading". Not a chance. If you think the shooters haven't practiced changing clips over and over and over and over and over and over again, you shouldn't be passing laws.

Assault Weapons?

What is the feeling on gun safes? I keep mine locked up. If I felt unsafe while at home (I don't) I could just unlock the safe while there and lock it while gone.
    Helps keep kids and thieves from getting there hands on my goods.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Assault Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluff-Canyoneer View Post
    What is the feeling on gun safes? I keep mine locked up. If I felt unsafe while at home (I don't) I could just unlock the safe while there and lock it while gone.
    I think it would be irresponsible to own weapons and not have a safe (if you have children in the home)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I think it would be irresponsible to own weapons and not have a safe (if you have children in the home)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agree--BUT--it would be unfortunate to have someone break into your home and be between you and your safe.

Lots of room here for common sense.

Guns should definitely be kept from locations where children will be unattended.

I think the best precaution with children is to teach them about guns and gun safety,lack of knowledge and familiarity increases the attraction.

But teaching should only be in addition to responsible parenting.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

10. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluff-Canyoneer View Post
    We have guns and little hands in our home. Our guns are locked up. Some are in safes that have quick access for adults.

The kids are also taught at age appropriate gun safety. They are tested on this using airsoft guns that look like real guns. They are also told anytime they want to look at the guns they just have to ask an adult. This takes the mystery out of the whole thing.
    Let's Roll

If you want to keep your kids safe around guns I'd say the number 1 thing you can do for them is send the kids through Hunters Safety.

The course is 90% about gun safety. Your kids will learn how to safely handle a firearm. My kids went through hunters safety at an early age (8 y/o). Hunters safety is something ALL kids should go through no matter what you feel about guns or hunting. To me it is like drown proofing your kids with swimming lessons, it's just something kids should know.

My kids were also taught there is no need to play with guns, just ask and we'll go shooting.

FWIW: My guns are locked up... some have quick access...

Interesting gun-control outcome in Australia:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...src=most_viral

P.S. There is no evidence that the shooter was evil, deranged, etc. The potential for such violence is in all of us.

14. Likes MSchasch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post

P.S. There is no evidence that the shooter was evil, deranged, etc. The potential for such violence is in all of us.
    I can only suggest that this country needs to ban canyoneering. It has been proven that canyoneers cannot be trusted to keep canyons from being vandalized.

There can be no amount of vandalism that is acceptable, shut em down and shut em down NOW!!!
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

You want to see a major shooting spree? Try and take my guns.... And I know I'm not alone with that thought.

Name:  nowyoucanhaveit.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  27.8 KB

The British have a history of surrendering their arms. Also in their history, was a war they lost to the USA, who promptly began creating a Constitution to alleviate future repression. I can provide you links if this is un familiar to you.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I can provide you links if this is un familiar to you.

20. Likes hank moon liked this post
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ng-4122668.php

Another conceal carry person stops a shooting. This one was an off duty female officer. The principles that matter are a trained and prepared person was able to save lives.
    Let's Roll

Re: Assault Weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by MSchasch View Post
    Veggie pizza????

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The fear that anyone's guns will be "taken away" is ludicrous propaganda and about as likely as a constitutional restoration of slavery. If you believe your guns will be taken away by the gov't, please examine/challenge that belief in yourself, and with friends, and see if it really holds up under proper questioning. If we could take such laughable notions off the discussion table (or at least cover them up with a napkin, like a wad of gnarly gristle), we might get somewhere with a civil accord on gun control.

Immediate gun confiscation is a non issue due to numbers, I believe that....With gun bans--confiscation will be due to attrition.
    I happen to have kids and grandkids, I expect them to enjoy the same rights that I am guaranteed, not a watered down version that proves ineffective.

So--hank--I'm not going to take the harness you use for canyoneering, you can keep that, despite your lack of ability to eliminate canyoneers from pasting graffiti all over canyon walls. What I propose be banned are ropes used in canyoneering, you can keep the ones you have but there will be no more. And by the way--since you are a canyoneer, you are a terribly bad person because others, just like you, paste/scratch graffiti in our canyons.
    You can't be trusted
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Veggie pizza????

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly--kind of like the salsa made in new york city commercial.........
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

we might get somewhere with a civil accord on gun control.
    Oh... you want to talk realistically, leaving the smoke and mirrors behind along with the dog and pony show? I never actually heard that from a gun control advocate. I guess I need to know what exactly you consider gun control?

Something to keep in mind before we start. Approximately 95% of all gun related crimes are being committed by someone illegally in posession of a firearm. Perhaps this is an enforcement issue and not a gun issue?

At least one study indicates that 'legal' guns are used 2.5 million times a year to properly and lawfully protect citizens. So it's understandable I want to maintain this right to protect my family.

So what are your suggestions to control guns without infringing upon my rights or the rights of my children and grand children?