Thread: Coyote Gulch

Coyote Gulch

Tyler, Aralynn and I hiked through Coyote Gulch on March 29-31, 2012. We entered through Crack in the Wall and returned via the Boy Scout Exit. This is a popular hike for good reason. Photographs do no justice as to how grand the scenery is.

The first night we camped a mile upstream from Crack in the Wall. The second night we camped in the shadow of Jacob Hamblin Arch. There are many excellent camp sites in this canyon.

The view just above Crack in the Wall.
    Name:  IMG_3640..jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  62.6 KB

Crack in the wall.

Name:  IMG_3648..jpg
Views: 2144
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3650..jpg
Views: 3138
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3652..jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3680..jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3685..jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  167.8 KB

Cliff Arch (aka Jug Handle Arch)

Name:  IMG_3682..jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  90.1 KB

Coyote Arch

Name:  IMG_3690..jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3665..jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3662..jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3674..jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  121.9 KB

Swiss Cheese Falls

Name:  IMG_3698..jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  77.3 KB

Jacob Hamblin Arch

Name:  IMG_3699..jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  54.1 KB

Jacob Hamblin Arch

Name:  IMG_3706..jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  98.1 KB

Looking down from the Boy Scout Exit.

Name:  IMG_3715..jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  124.8 KB

The last part of the Boy Scout Exit. It is quite steep, a 5.2 climb most of the way. Bring a 100 ft rope and plan on dragging your pack. My pack suffered a lot of damage from being dragged.

Name:  IMG_3714..jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  84.1 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow this is an amazing place, thanks for sharing. What was the total mileage hiked in the 3 days?

Beatutiful place, looks like you had great weather too.

Been several years since I was down there, but looking at that last picture, is that a full on pit toilet? When I was there before their were a few open air toilets (seat over a hole in the ground).
    Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoriloco View Post
    Wow this is an amazing place, thanks for sharing. What was the total mileage hiked in the 3 days?
    It was about 11 miles. We broke it up like this:

Day 1: 5 miles
    Day 2: 4 miles
    Day 3: 2 miles

We parked at 37 23' 24" N; -111 02' 05" W. Not sure if this is THE best place to park, but it worked great for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
    Beatutiful place, looks like you had great weather too.

Been several years since I was down there, but looking at that last picture, is that a full on pit toilet? When I was there before their were a few open air toilets (seat over a hole in the ground).
    Yes we had excellent weather, it wasn't even that cold at night. Best part was, THERE WERE NO BUGS AT ALL! Must be too early in the year. We sat right next to the stream under the moonlight chatting for hours and had no mosquito bites at all.

To our amazement, yes there was a full on pit toilet (actually two side by side). They even had running fans pulling the air out through the bottom (solar powered I think). They didn't even stink. They used some sort of compost system where you add a scoop of sawdust to the pit after you do your business. Whoever built those should be nominated for sainthood.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Great report and photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    To our amazement, yes there was a full on pit toilet. They even had running fans pulling the air out through the bottom (solar powered I think). They didn't even stink. They used some sort of compost system where you add a scoop of sawdust to the pit after you do your business. Whoever built those should be nominated for sainthood.
    I am afraid to think what the name of that saint would be...
    Life is Good

7. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Superb!
    Thx for trail info.

Doing Coyote from Chimney Rock and up the Crack next Sunday & Monday. Was it crowded?
    Great pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Writeabove View Post
    Doing Coyote from Chimney Rock and up the Crack next Sunday & Monday. Was it crowded?
    Great pics!
    Thanks! We saw about 20 people when we were in there. About 75% of the camp sites were empty. We had Jacob Hamblin arch to ourselves one night, it was really nice. There are a bunch of campsites around the arch, and the canyon amplifies the sounds within. A crowd around that arch at night would be kind of annoying.

Hiking up Crack in the Wall looks crappy. (if you haven't done it) YMMV.

Hiking in through the Crack and up the Gulch is really fun and easy. IMHO. Getting out of the Gulch is some work no matter how you slice it...

Have a good trip!

One of these days I'm going to make this hike. Thanks for the report

Great pics. I will definitely put this on the to do list. Thanks for sharing