Thread: Coyote Gulch May 2014

Coyote Gulch May 2014

8 May 2014, we spent a night down in the belly of Lower Coyote Gulch. We drove down to Escalante on the 7th and picked up our free permit from Escalante’s visitor center, then drove to the “Crack (in the wall)” parking area and spent the night there. Waking up we got our gear loaded onto our backs and made the trek down into Coyote Gulch.
    Having been to the overlook area on a day hike with family years ago, I’ve always wanted to go down to the bottom to check it out. I was excited! Our first stop was a short detour down Coyote Gulch to where it ends, meeting up with the Escalante River. Immediately we knew this was going to be an awesome environment to spend a few nights. A gentile stream flowing ankle deep on top of a flat sandy bottom located deep in a canyon of steep insurmountable walls. This was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, the lush green riparian meeting the harsh indomitable desert. Wow!
    The hiking was very easy so we stopped many times just to look around and absorb our surroundings. Our goal was to camp near the Jacob Hamblin Arch so we weren’t in a hurry. Along the way we found an abundance of life, trees, frogs, snakes, fish, birds, cat (tracks) and insects. This place was a total paradise and literal oasis. We enjoyed all the side trips including some Indian ruins, and a desert pond known as the Black Pool. Along the way we found multiple waterfalls on the main “trail” which created fun obstacles and from springs pouring down the walls.
    We made our way to Jacob Hamblin Arch in a matter of 7 hours or so, including all stops and a long lunch break. We camped here for a night and in the morning hiked up to the confluence of Hurricane Wash and hung out in the sun for the rest of the day. After returning to camp we decided that we’d seen everything that we wanted to and decided to hike out late in the afternoon.
    The hike out was hot and brutal but a short 2 hours to get to the truck. The exit up the ramp next to Jacob Hamblin arch has a challenging class 5 scramble through 3-4 individual sections, the crux being 100ft high total. We brought a 36ft rope, which I hip belayed my wife over the worst. There would be serious consequences for a person who fell down this steep incline. On the hike back along open desert I found the use of my GPS helpful. One word of caution, I tried to hop a stupid fence just in sight of our vehicle and ended up slicing my hand open pretty good, got a tetanus shot J. Next time I’d just go under.
    Lastly I want to mention that this wasn’t a place of solitude. We went on a weekday and found tons of hikers/backpackers. There were plenty of obnoxious members of society, yelling, kicking down sandbars, throwing sandstone boulders around which brought the experience down a notch. If I went back I would opt to camp far away from Jacob Hamblin Arch. Also, I’d like to mention the lack of sanitation in the canyon. There are three pit toilets in the canyon, two of which were TOPPED OFF. I tried to dig a hole for my water bucket and dug up someone else’s poop and toilet paper, yuck! Who poops next to their water source let alone buries it 4 inches deep? Animals!? We all brought WAG/ Restop sanitation bags and carried out our waste, please be prepared to do the same. Make sure you hide your bag from the crows too they like the shiny bags and will rip them open. I like to zip-tie mine to the outside of my pack on the hike out and deposit it into a waiting bucket in our vehicle. If you plan on doing this hike, please, please do the responsible thing with your waste, carry it out.

Enjoy the map and photos.

2. Likes hikster11, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Awesome - Love the water shots!

Thanks for all the tips. I'm planning a trip later this fall - never been.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks jman. Yea, the water is so pretty. I look forward to your TR, your videos are the best for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Thanks jman. Yea, the water is so pretty. I look forward to your TR, your videos are the best for sure.
    Wow thanks! You are in luck, we got two more coming soon...hopefully within the next week or two.

Question - did the two days seem too little or just right?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Wow thanks! You are in luck, we got two more coming soon...hopefully within the next week or two.

Question - did the two days seem too little or just right?
    Well, my buddy that I went with said that if he came back he'd do it as a day trip. I don't necessarily agree that I'd come back only for the day but for the path we took two days is plenty of time. If I spent more than one night I'd probably design a much longer path. Sitting around camp isn't my idea of fun if I'm in explore mode. Hope this helps.

Nice pics. Where was your image 6512 taken in there? I went through last month and don't remember seeing anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    Nice pics. Where was your image 6512 taken in there? I went through last month and don't remember seeing anything like that.
    I think it's commonly called the Black Pool.. Here is a map I made that includes this feature. (Let me know if it doesn't work)

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...E.kIIbGHLGbwWs

10. Likes hikster11 liked this post
    I think it's commonly called the Black Pool.. Here is a map I made that includes this feature. (Let me know if it doesn't work)

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...E.kIIbGHLGbwWs
    Thanks for the map. I stayed in the water course most of the time so I see why I did not see it. When I go back I will be sure to see that.

You're welcome! There's so much to see down there, in fact next time I go I'm going to try and do this awesome route posted by @reverse_dyno

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...yon-Loop-Hike&

You're welcome! There's so much to see down there, in fact next time I go I'm going to try and do this awesome route posted by @reverse_dyno

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...yon-Loop-Hike&
    Yes I saw that TR. Definitely looks fun