Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looming Government Shutdown: Will it cancel a visit to a National Park?

I just saw the webpage too. I also just read that the military academies are canceling football games. NOW this is getting serious.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

After taking the entrance fees in account, I wonder how much the national parks actually take from the Federal Budget? Don't entry fees cover most of the expenses?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes phinux liked this post
    Here's what's bothering me, Zion's received 2.7 million visitors in 2009. Those people pay fees to enter the park, to camp, fees for back country permits...where is that money going? Is it not enough to sustain the park? I'm sure there are plenty of national parks out there that don't receive as many visitors, that may not be self-sufficient, but where is this money going? Is it going to the parks and the employees that manage them? TO search and rescue? Are any parks doing better than breaking even? And if so, should we look more at shuttering parks that don't pay for themselves, but keep open the ones that do? Does anyone have some insight into this?

6. Likes jman, rockgremlin liked this post
    I better get a prorated refund for my national parks pass.

8. Likes deagol liked this post
    NOW what are all of the Japanese and German tourists bound for Zions, Canyonlands, Arches, etc going to do? Good job America...way to set the example.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

They can still drive the road. I read this morning that National PArks that have highways or roads thru them that enter and exit the park will not be closed. So the tourists could still drive thru zion but could not take the bus up the main canyon but could still visit pine, overlook, checkerboard mesa, etc.. Parks like Bryce with no exit out the back are gated off. The article made reference to yosemite and basically any state hwy that runs thru the park.

Let it all burn. This govt shutdown is the best thing to happen in a long time. I hope it goes on for months or even longer.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

11. Likes Byron liked this post
    No plans for the next few months, but 17 years ago in 1996 my friend Dave and I were camping in Death Valley on the second day of what was supposed to be a 3 week adventure in the park we were returning to our campsite after a short hike to find this notice clipped to our campsite post. Later a ranger pulled in and informed us we had to break down our camp and leave the park immediately, after entertaining the idea of commando camping somewhere off the beaten path within the park we opted to leave and after a short visit to Valley of Fire State Park we headed to Anza Borrego State Park to complete our 3 week adventure, the whole time cursing the politicians in D.C. for ruining our trip. It looks like this solution for their impasse is habit forming for them.
    Name:  national park closed 001.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  48.4 KB

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I read this morning that National PArks that have highways or roads thru them that enter and exit the park will not be closed. So the tourists could still drive thru zion but could not take the bus up the main canyon but could still visit pine, overlook, checkerboard mesa, etc..
    No. They are allowed to drive through non-stop, but legally they are not allowed to stop at those places.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott p is correct we could have driven in around and through Death Valley all we wanted we just couldnt stop camp or hike anywhere not much fun, parks like Capitol Reef and Zion and Death Valley that have Highways intersecting them you can travel through them but any spur roads to campgrounds or trail heads or attractions you would likely find gated.

I would like to know who the knuckleheads were that dreamed up this nonsense about closing parks and making "We The People" suffer for their incompetence. I think the penalty for not passing a budget should be that their salaries and expense accounts or forfeited for that next fiscal year.

That would get their asses in gear! These idiots are raking in billions every month in tax revenue and they can't figure it out...so we have to close PARKS? That's just mind blowingly stupid.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

17. Likes deagol liked this post
    Sorry folks, park's closed.

Name:  3t1v.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  24.0 KB

And by the way, don't bother trying to get a weather forecast.

Name:  iuhb.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  54.2 KB

Solution to national park closures

Next election do not vote for incumbents vote for their challenger regardless of weather or not you like their politics be sure to send a message to their website to notify them of your voting intentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Just curious if anyone here has a planned visit to a national park in the next few weeks. If the government shutdown occurs on October 1, National Parks will be closed.

I don't have any plans until Thanksgiving, so hopefully, if there actually is a shutdown, it would be resolved by then.

<<political comment>>
    I'm not a fan of the Affordable Healthcare Act, but Republicans need to get over it. They lost this one.
    <<end political comment>>

21. Likes cchoc, rockgremlin, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by PERSIDION View Post
    No plans for the next few months, but 17 years ago in 1996 my friend Dave and I were camping in Death Valley on the second day of what was supposed to be a 3 week adventure in the park we were returning to our campsite after a short hike to find this notice clipped to our campsite post. Later a ranger pulled in and informed us we had to break down our camp and leave the park immediately, after entertaining the idea of commando camping somewhere off the beaten path within the park we opted to leave and after a short visit to Valley of Fire State Park we headed to Anza Borrego State Park to complete our 3 week adventure, the whole time cursing the politicians in D.C. for ruining our trip. It looks like this solution for their impasse is habit forming for them.
    Name:  national park closed 001.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  48.4 KB
    Great Post!

Apparently the gov't shutdown won't hold up the postal service BUT I didn't receive any mail yesterday...and neither did any of my neighbors, and anyone I asked said that they hadn't seen a mail truck out delivering at any point throughout the day either. Is this just a local decision by the mail carriers here? What the hell?

Glenn, I have a permit for CB South mid November, by 'ex' do you mean 'example' or 'except'? I'm assuming I'm good to go if the govt shut down extends thru that date, but will not be able to try for a lottery permit for CB North at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMike View Post
    Glenn, I have a permit for CB South mid November, by 'ex' do you mean 'example' or 'except'? I'm assuming I'm good to go if the govt shut down extends thru that date, but will not be able to try for a lottery permit for CB North at that time.
    I replied to your PM, but "Ex" meant "Example". In context, if you've won an online lottery permit, you can still visit Coyote Buttes even if the shutdown continues. But there would be no walk up lottery slots available.

Thing is, I still haven't received my permits in the mail and it's been eight weeks since I paid. I'm sure that will be delayed also. If the BLM is running again, maybe I can show them my receipts and get a permit there, otherwise I'm SOOL.

If you were looking for a time to strike the U.S., now would be the perfect time to do it -- while we're caught with our pants down playing the blame game.

United we stand....divided we fall.

Top official warns shutdown is 'dreamland' for foreign intel services

By Katie Wall, NBC News

With 70 percent of National Security Agency employees currently furloughed because of the government shutdown, top intelligence officials warned Congress Wednesday that the ongoing funding lapse could be putting national security at risk. "The damage will be insidious," Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "Each day that goes by, the jeopardy increases. This is a dreamland for foreign intelligence services to recruit."

The warning was enough to warrant alarm from members of both sides of the aisle."You scared the hell out of us!" Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. said.

Lawmakers – who appeared incredulous at the percentage of NSA employees not currently on the job – urged Clapper to immediately contact the president about furlough relief.
    Clapper and NSA Director General Keith Alexander said that NSA is staffing on a day-to-day basis as the shutdown continues into its second day with no clear path for Congress to end the standoff.
    While Clapper said he considers all intelligence workers essential, shutdown standards require they staff according to "imminent threat.”

Carrie Dann contributed reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by PERSIDION View Post
    Next election do not vote for incumbents vote for their challenger regardless of weather or not you like their politics
    Not me, man. In fact, I fully back all the Congressmen who are standing up against Obama and that freak Reid. The only ones I won't be voting for are the ones with a "D" next to their names. I don't think the government should be selling insurance, and I sure as hell don't think I should be forced to buy it. I say Bravo! Republicans!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

29. Likes Sandstone Addiction, nelsonccc liked this post