Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Accident Report] Sandthrax

Quote Originally Posted by Doomedty View Post
    Also special shout out to Evergreen Dean and Ram for getting me the bear.
    X2 Thanks fellas!

A little backstory about the bear:

I've heard bits and pieces about the bear and was vaguely aware of the tradition. I emailed Ram and asked him about it, intending to purchase a bear locally and then give it to Tyler. Much to my astonishment, Ram quickly tracked down the bear and arranged for it to be shipped to Tyler.

Apparently, the bear knows no politics. Anyone hurt from anywhere in the canyoneering community is to enjoy the company of the bear.

I hope this is OK to use this quote from Ram, since it is an eloquent thought:

"It is always sad to know that the care bear will have a place to go, but it gives voice to and opportunity for the expression of hope, caring and love."

A great sentiment... but I just can't pass up an opportunity to joke with my brother-in-law Tyler. Here is how I told Tyler about the bear, exchanged via text:

Bob: I’ve been notified that a healer is going to pay you a visit. She has special powers and has helped many people recover from canyon related injuries. She must be treated with the utmost respect. Terrible things have happened to those that have treated her unkindly.

Tyler: Lol, oh really.

Bob: Not a joke. Yes really.

Tyler: Please be a hot stripper! Please be a hot stripper!

Bob: When the healer arrives in a day or two, she will likely want to go out to dinner. Think of a place. Be ready.

Tyler: So, who is this healer?

Bob: You will see. I’m excited to meet her.

Tyler: Kinda nervous that you’re hooking me up with someone. When is this “healer” coming?

Bob:
    Sometime in the next week. I have no way to tell. She doesn’t know that I even exist. But you are injured, and she is coming.

Tyler: I’m so lost... but ok then. How did you hear about this chick?

Bob: An old man told me around a campfire.

Tyler: That is so… How old is this chick? Figuring that you said I’m taking her out to dinner.

Bob: I don’t know. Her visit is a big deal. It will bring the canyoneering community together.

Tyler: Alrighty then. What’s her name?

Bob: You will know, don’t worry. When she arrives, be respectful. Your healing and future safety are riding on it.

Tyler: Lol, ok then. Why is she coming to SLC?

Bob: You are hurt. To heal you.

Tyler: This better be either my grandma or someone sexy.

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That canyon is amazing! I loved it and don't regret it. Maybe one day ill do it again. I'm just happy to be alive.
    That's what it's all about there.

I pull myself out of my head and climb my ass out of that whole.
    You did a fantastic job of keeping it together. I don't know that many people could have done it.

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Tony,

I do have a question for you that I also posed to Tyler. I asked, "Would you have been better off with no cams?"

After a thoughtful pause, he replied yes, that he should have had 2-3 pieces of protection or none at all. He weighted it, like when aid-climbing, then it broke loose and he fell. Had it not been there, he would not have weighted it, and probably wouldn't have fallen at all. You also mentioned not weighting the cam on your climb, leading me to believe that the climb was within both of your capabilities. What are your thoughts on this?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Tony,

I do have a question for you that I also posed to Tyler. I asked, "Would you have been better off with no cams?"

After a thoughtful pause, he replied yes, that he should have had 2-3 pieces of protection or none at all. He weighted it, like when aid-climbing, then it broke loose and he fell. Had it not been there, he would not have weighted it, and probably wouldn't have fallen at all. You also mentioned not weighting the cam on your climb, leading me to believe that climb was within both of your capabilities. What are your thoughts on this?
    I've thought exactly this a number of times since the fall, even while we were completing the canyon after the fall. In this one case I would completely agree. I've seen Tyler do some cool stuff in cracks, mostly at the gym, and Momentum has some pretty cool crack climbs. I've thought, maybe mistakenly, but I doubt it, that if Tyler had no cams he would have made it up the crack as his mind would be more focused and his technique would have been better. It provided a false sense of security. We should have had 2-3 pieces with us though, at least on our first time through.

The crack was toward the limits of my capabilities so far as OW's go. Having done it once I feel confident about being able to do it again though, and would bet that Tyler would kick that thing's ass the next time through.

Sandthrax is an odd canyon, and you must be prepared for the physicality of it and psychologically prepared to look below you and not see the bottom of the canyon for pretty much the entirety. These were the easy parts though. That crack is mean, no doubt about it.

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    That was my first bogley post
    Sweet first post. I am glad you are ok.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I am not a climber so some of the trip report was over my head. But SO GLAD you lived to write that first Bogley post!
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

10. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    FWIW: in 2002 several groups consisting of some of the better off-width climbers in the Moab area did Sandthrax and rated the crux at 5.10. I believe the is a real and legit rating.

12. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    It has been six weeks since I did sandthrax - that thing is a monster... So glad that everyone made it out.

I agree with the consensus of 5.10 (maybe 5.10b) .....but it's such an awkward OW!

To anyone considering Sandthrax, please please do not underestimate the physical and psychological toll required.

Again - congrats on getting through! Glad you are safe!

14. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    X2 Thanks fellas!

Bob: I’ve been notified that a healer is going to pay you a visit. She has special powers and has helped many people recover from canyon related injuries. She must be treated with the utmost respect. Terrible things have happened to those that have treated her unkindly.
    LOL! This is hillarious, but I feel I must warn Tyler... don't let your dog chew on Sharebear, even though this might be a sign of affection coming from the dog. Sharebear doesn't like being chewed on or made to do lap dances or endure other mistreatment. Bad things will happen to those who mistreat Sharebear! Otherwise she's a wonderful healer! Hope you recover quickly. Love the pics of you and the bear!

Apparently, the bear knows no politics. Anyone hurt from anywhere in the canyoneering community is to enjoy the company of the bear.
    If this includes getting butt-hurt from forum debates, that bear is going places

17. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    If this includes getting butt-hurt from forum debates, that bear is going places
    ROFLMAO

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

My dog is scared of the sharebear plus he would not chew it up anyway. Highly highly trained boarder-collie . So I think slot machine might get hurt on purpose just to get the sharebear lol. The bear really is freaking magic though. 3 weeks after my fall, my arm finally has closed up and have gained a lot of strength back. No more back pain, tendon pain, nerve shocks or zings in my shoulder or arm. My right ass cheek still hurts but I think the bear just finds it funny watching me sit down and squint. I did multiple sets of pull ups/push ups today and even built a crack system. I have one off width, a fist crack and a hand crack on ceiling of my basement. I was 184 lb hydrated when I fell and today I weighed in at 177 lb hydrated. I'm all better now and working hard to gain the strength I lost back.

20. Likes Slot Machine liked this post