Thread: Mountain Bike Trails near Mesa / Phoenix Arizona

Mountain Bike Trails near Mesa / Phoenix Arizona

My brother in law is going to take me to some trails near his house in Arizona, he mentioned Superstition Mountains.

Has anybody done any riding down there?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds scarey

Don't know of any trails in the Superstitions - it's a wilderness area, but rode the Hawes trails in Mesa. They were pretty fun, and you can connect over to the NRA pit which has some jump lines. South Mountain has some really superb riding.

I have spent some time riding down there...there are some trails out by the super mtns, as i reacall the Apache trails...out by mormon flats was fun ride. Check out north mtn it is my favorite ride down there....south mtn good and an easy but fun trail is papgoda park, or something like that.....if you are driving make sure you stop in sedona lots of good trails..enjoy and try and stay out of the cactus.
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

I was down in the Phoenix area last winter to visit our son. We went to the McDowell Regional Park to ride. The park is north and east of Scottsdale. I think there are over 50 miles of trails in the park. Some are beginner trails but we found some that were more technical. It was an enjoyable ride. We completed one loop that was 12 miles with lots of elevation changes and terrain variances. There is another trail/hiking park north of Glendale, I don't remember the name but we looked at it on the way to McDowell. I found both sites on a AZ state recreation site. One word of caution, be careful to stay on the trail; I wouldn't want to run into some of those cactus.

I only know about a shared trail in White Tanks Regional Park, but that's the opposite direction of Mesa. You have to take I-10 West near Goodyear.
    It's called Competitive Track.

Anyway, maybe you check out Usery Mountain Park north of Mesa. I think there is a Mountain Bike trail, but I'm not definitely sure about that. Haven't been in the area for a while

there is massive amounts of biking to be done near phoenix and mesa... i'll see if i can get you some details from my buddy who lives in mesa. @wndoguy rides down there on occasion too.

I live in Mesa and ride South Mountain fairly often. Tons of awesome trails of varying difficulty. I hike and canyoneer in the Superstitions often, and dont think there is much riding going on there, at least not that I have seen. McDowell Mountain and Phoenix Mountain Preserve are supposed to be pretty awesome, but I have yet to get out there and are a bit of a drive from Mesa. Papago park is pretty fun also and close to Mesa, but not very technical. South Mountain is the place to go IMO.

Cool, thanks for the info. It'll be Thanksgiving week so I'll be able to cram in a quick ride or two down there maybe when the ladies are shopping. My brother in law seems to know of a few trails. I'll bring the GoPro and give a report of what we hit down there

I've been down to Phoenix twice to ride, good stuff down there.

South Mtn is a must, I also liked McDowell, Pemberton and Usery Mtns.

Search my blog for "arizona" - http://kanyonkris.blogspot.com

Best website for trails in that area - http://mtbikeaz.com