Thread: Any ideas on how to put a map in a book?

Any ideas on how to put a map in a book?

I'm writing a book about Utah activities and I'd like to include maps. The thing is, I don't know how to copy a map and put it in a book... or even if I might be violating a copyright or something to do so, which I don't want to do. So I'm wondering if I can copy Google Maps and use them in my book, or Mapquest, or even photocopy from fold out maps? Or would there be some other way that would be legal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Google maps, mapquest etc are all under copyright so putting them in a book is a no no (Unless you pay them) same with the old maps.. In most books you see that they have a custom map drawn just for their purposes.. that is what you will most likely have to do. What do you have to map?
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Find somone who knows GIS and have them make you a map.

I use National Geographic Topo maps on my website. In order to do so I had to apply for a TOPO Extended User License (EUL). In most cases the license is granted free of charge.

More info here:
    http://www.natgeomaps.com/assets/dow...NGMaps_EUL.pdf

I have no clue how other mapping software companies work, but National Geographic was easy to deal with and I received my license within 24 hours of applying. I bet I spent less than one hour total time getting a license.

There are a couple other minor issues to deal with: A website has to provide a link back to TOPO, A book has to mention TOPO is the software used to create the map. All maps must have the TOPO! National Geographic copyright information, which is not a problem because the TOPO software puts it on the map for you.

Anyhoo.... hope that helps.

FYI: Most maps published by U.S. government agencies, including U.S.G.S., U.S.D.A., N.O.S, N.O.A.A., N.P.S. and the Census Bureau are not copyright protected, or at least that is what I have been told.

If you have a preferred mapping software you want to use I'd just contact the company and ask what is required in obtaining an extended user licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FYI: Most maps published by U.S. government agencies, including U.S.G.S., U.S.D.A., N.O.S, N.O.A.A., N.P.S. and the Census Bureau are not copyright protected, or at least that is what I have been told.
    That's good to know too. At least, it's worth making sure if that's true or not.

If you have a preferred mapping software you want to use I'd just contact the company and ask what is required in obtaining an extended user licence.
    I need to get some good mapping software. Or maybe learn how to use the mapping software I already have--the program that came with my Garmin GPS.