Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Zion Fest June 18 & 19 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post

The Subway should not be rushed. You should get an early start and enjoy the experience.
    I am glad you said that! I've been on hikes/canyons where the group is Type A and it's about how fast they can bomb it out. One particular trip, I didn't get near the photos I wanted as a result. Thanks for saying this Felicia! I agree.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was watching the reservations for Watchman hoping to get a site on Friday and noticed another site pop-up for Saturday night. I snagged it so now we have two sites available for anyone who needs a spot to crash that night.

I've been so swamped recently, but now I'm back ready to focus on this Fest!

On the Subway hike, yes we should plan on an early start and have a back-up destination in mind. I propose meeting at the VC at 6:30. As to the back-up destination I'm going to start some queries on that. Perhaps Parunweep (especially thinking about Mineral Gulch) but we need to consider flow rates up there too.

On the BBQ: In general if folks bring their own meat/main dish and something to share (appetizer, salad, dessert) that will work out well. Jman talked about bringing a box of burgers and buns and it's great if folks bring something extra to share as well. I'm assuming the group site has several tables (since it can host 40 campers). We need some folks to sign up for charcoal as well. We have group site E001 and you can start to use it after 12pm. It's prepaid and under my name (Paul Stevens).

Saturday: is there still a group interested in a Gooseberry Mesa MTB ride? I will be coming from Springdale with my friends from Santa Cruz. Who else wants to ride in the AM? I think I may hit Keyhole in the PM as well. We could also pick a restaurant and time for Saturday evening to meet for food or drinks.

Alison & Chere: seems like there are a few folks who will come to the BBQ from StG. Maybe one of them could drive your kids? Is it 3 or 4 between you? Offer to pay for round-trip gas maybe? The other option is to turn them loose in the NP for the day with food and some $. Is the 16 yo trustworthy to be the shepherd for the day? I agree the RT drive will suck after the hike.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    I've been so swamped recently, but now I'm back ready to focus on this Fest!

On the Subway hike, yes we should plan on an early start and have a back-up destination in mind. I propose meeting at the VC at 6:30. As to the back-up destination I'm going to start some queries on that. Perhaps Parunweep (especially thinking about Mineral Gulch) but we need to consider flow rates up there too.

On the BBQ: In general if folks bring their own meat/main dish and something to share (appetizer, salad, dessert) that will work out well. Jman talked about bringing a box of burgers and buns and it's great if folks bring something extra to share as well. I'm assuming the group site has several tables (since it can host 40 campers). We need some folks to sign up for charcoal as well. We have group site E001 and you can start to use it after 12pm. It's prepaid and under my name (Paul Stevens).

Saturday: is there still a group interested in a Gooseberry Mesa MTB ride? I will be coming from Springdale with my friends from Santa Cruz. Who else wants to ride in the AM? I think I may hit Keyhole in the PM as well. We could also pick a restaurant and time for Saturday evening to meet for food or drinks.

Alison & Chere: seems like there are a few folks who will come to the BBQ from StG. Maybe one of them could drive your kids? Is it 3 or 4 between you? Offer to pay for round-trip gas maybe? The other option is to turn them loose in the NP for the day with food and some $. Is the 16 yo trustworthy to be the shepherd for the day? I agree the RT drive will suck after the hike.
    I was hoping we could meet at the trailhead. (6 or 6:30 works for me.) I guess we'd have to pre-coordinate the car shuttle, but that's easy. If we meet at the VC at 6:30 I doubt we'll get on the trail before 8...

I'll bring some charcoal and a dutch oven or two to the BBQ. I was thinking I'd make some dutch oven dessert. I'll also be bringing Utah beer and plan to camp in the group site sunday night.

I'd like to get into Mineral Gulch as well. Seems like a good alternate, depending on water flow. If flow is too high and the subway is closed, what's our alternate to the alternate?

Also, Saturday morning a group of us are looking at a family hike into Taylor Creek in the kolob section. We will be bringing kids so it won't be an early start or a fast pace. More on that as the plan firms up. Here's Taylor Creek info: http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/taylorcreek.cfm

Ill bring some kind chili, Venson,elk,or antalope if people are cool with that and some real beer . PS Don did you get that PM?
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

On Subway meet up: we probably need to first confirm if a group is doing Das Boot. The Booters need more time. As I recall Pubalz was going to try for a permit day before? Maybe we set a slightly later meeting time at the TH for non-Booters and then if the permit materializes the Das Boot group subtracts some time from that for their start?

Cool with real beer? Oh. Yes.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Ill be in the park on friday if not earlyer, Ill get the 6 walk in premits on sat
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

If Subway opens up, what are the chances Das Boot will also be open?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pubalz View Post
    Ill bring some kind chili, Venson,elk,or antalope if people are cool with that and some real beer . PS Don did you get that PM?
    Don't be knock'n the Utah beer Don is talking about until you try it! Some dam fine stuff if I might say so myself. This isn't the canned Budweiser Light crap ya know. Epic "Brainless" and Wasatch "Hell's Keep" are

If Alison and I can work out the BBQ thing I will bring pulled pork and maybe some sunshine cookies if Don will share that Utah beer with me.

Don't know what I am doing Sat morning as I am torn between mountain biking and the family hike. Seriously I need a clone! Send one to the hike and one to bike. I know my kids were really looking forward to Keyhole but still don't know if Sarah's arm will be up to the challenge. If I bike that is a long way back to grab them for Keyhole and if we hike they most likely will be tired.

Can't wait to see ya all!
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Don't be knock'n the Utah beer Don is talking about until you try it! Some dam fine stuff if I might say so myself. This isn't the canned Budweiser Light crap ya know. Epic "Brainless" and Wasatch "Hell's Keep" are

If Alison and I can work out the BBQ thing I will bring pulled pork and maybe some sunshine cookies if Don will share that Utah beer with me.

I am bringing Colorado beer. I just thought I'd share that with ya'll! It is a very important piece of information. And that Utah beer Chere had in Moab 2 weeks ago was KICK ASS! We will be sharing. Regarding the BBQ- if we make it, I have no clue what I am bringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubalz View Post
    There are some damn fine beers made in Utah now, so when I mention Utah beer it is a kind of joke about crappy Utah beer but I'm talking about good Utah beer and I'll have a special bottle just for you...

Beer is still on-topic in a canyon fest thread right?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Is it even possible to fest without beer??

Im looking forward to trying some good Utah beer.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Is it even possible to fest without beer??
    Probably. But as far as I've been able to ascertain it doesn't happen with this crowd! Yeah, Don you showed me some mighty fine UT brews in September. I'll make sure to bring some of NoCal's best just to keep the cultural exchange going.

Kurt - are we going to see you on Sunday? Or maybe come join us for a cold one on Saturday somewhere in Springdale?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Jman talked about bringing a box of burgers and buns and it's great if folks bring something extra to share as well.
    Sure am. (glad you read the calendar - heh) I'm bringing a group of 8 (including myself, and 6 of them are noobs) to the BBQ only. We're not drinkers so be sure to bring some ROOTED beer () for us. I won't be able to bring any condiments except ketchup and mustard, so hopefully others can bring that.

Also, we won't be doing any canyons with the group unfortunately, as we have plans outside the park. But the fire and BBQ should be a lot of fun.

On a sidenote, I'm sure there will be thousands of pics between everyone during this fest, so what if someone brought there laptop with a multi-memory card reader, and that person can get the pics and vids from everyone, and give each group a DVD of the pics/vids of their canyons. That way, you don't have to dropbox everything... Just a suggestion that may or may not be useful to you guys.

Also (my last one, I swear, lol), just a hiking suggestion for those who are not canyoneering. There is a hidden waterfall near Weeping Rock, that everyone passes but is a awesome road-side attraction. It's called Menu Falls, and I'll try to pull up a map for ya if you are interested. It's a very quick hike - like 10min one way. A lot of visitors (even vets) don't know about it.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'll find a way to make it to the BBQ, no drinking for me, looks like I'll have to drive back home the same night.

I can bring my laptop, only about an hour of life unless someone has a hook up. instead of cd's it would be faster if everyone brought SD cards, or thumb drives.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

I called again the backcountry desk to see if there was any update on when Subway will be re-opened. I received a vague answer that the situation will be assessed within a week. It seems that the answer depends on who you talk to. Has anybody be through the bottom in the last few days? Is it still gushing?
    I get the feeling they are not in a hurry to re-open it.http://www.bogley.com/forum/images/smilies/cry.gif

I called today and they were checking it out and would know by this afternoon, they also had 4 reservations available for Subway on friday at the zion reservations site.

I sure wish I would have found this site earlier. My friend and I have had our trip to Zion planned since January and it just so happens to be during all of this. We fly into Vegas the 16th and will be leaving the 23rd. I would love the opportunity to get together with some fellow enthusiasts and have an opportunity to gain some more knowledge about canyoneering. Sean and I were out there last March and did our first couple canyons then and have been looking forward to getting back and really spending some more time in the area. I would love to meet up at the BBQ if there is still room, and possibly camp at the group site Sunday night also. Please let me know if that would work.

Thanks,
    Chris

Hi Chris - yep still plenty of room at the group site. It holds 40 folks. I signed up for the minimum (20) to keep the initial cost low (it's $3/person) but we'll just increase it when we see how many people are coming. I think there might be 10 campers so far, but I haven't kept close track. The more the merrier!

Anybody heard anything more about Subway?