Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth About Getting Ahead in Business: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/013...SIN=0131858386

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Currently reading "Walking up and Down in the World: Memoirs of a Mountain Rambler" by Smoke Blanchard.

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (who previously authored Seabiscuit)

This is the story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who during WW2 survives a ditching in the Pacific , weeks adrift at sea, and then years of additional hardship in Japanese prison camps. The book is relentless in depicting the suffering and cruelty in the camps, but not without a welcome humourous anedote from time to time:

In Naoetsu's little POW insurgency, perhaps the most insidious fear was pulled off by Louie's friend Ken Marvin, a marine who'd been captured at Wake Atoll. At his work site, Marvin was supervised by a one-eyed civilian guard called Bad Eye. When Bad Eye asked Marvin to teach him English, Marvin saw his chance. With secret delight, he began teaching Bad Eye catastrophically bad English. From that day forward, when asked, "How are you?," Bad Eye would smilingly reply, What the **** do you care?"

Had it not been for the war, Zamperini may have broken the 4 minute mile long before Robert Bannister. His feats of survival are equally amazing.
    I just bought that book yesterday at the suggestion of a lady that I was sitting next to on a flight to Houston and I'm already half way though. Excellent book! It's definitely one of those that you hope they turn in to a movie.
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
    I just bought that book yesterday at the suggestion of a lady that I was sitting next to on a flight to Houston and I'm already half way though. Excellent book! It's definitely one of those that you hope they turn in to a movie.
    Awesome book 5 stars for sure!!!

Unwarranted Influence: Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Military-Industrial Complex

Favorite Ike quote so far

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed . This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with half a million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8000 people....under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Re-reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Entertaining and insightful.
    Just downloaded the book. :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I just finished Caleb's Crossing: A Novel. Before that I read Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague. Both books are by Geraldine Brooks.

I got the titles as a recommendation from GoodReads. Clearly I like historical fiction as I enjoyed both books!

I'm off to read my new acquisition. .
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Reading a rock climbing book (partially so I can get all the flippin' lingo down), as well as Out of Africa.

Anyone have some suggestions for me? I'm trying to find something along the lines of Krakauer. I've read most of his stuff and haven't found another author like him that keeps my interest and isn't too heavy on the technical jargon.
    Keep pulling up stakes. Friend me on facebook.

"Since the ultimate goal of transport technology is the annihilation of space, the compression of all Being into one pure point, it follows that six-packs help." Edward Abbey, Monkey Wrench Gang

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
    Anyone have some suggestions for me? I'm trying to find something along the lines of Krakauer. I've read most of his stuff and haven't found another author like him that keeps my interest and isn't too heavy on the technical jargon.
    John Vaillant author of The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed and The Tiger. Similar style as Krakauer imo.

He does dive a little too deep into the topic. After reading Golden Spruce I am dang near an expert on the history of logging in the US/Canadian Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    John Vaillant author of The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed and The Tiger. Similar style as Krakauer imo.

He does dive a little too deep into the topic. After reading Golden Spruce I am dang near an expert on the history of logging in the US/Canadian Northeast.
    Thanks, Matt! Will check him out.
    Keep pulling up stakes. Friend me on facebook.

"Since the ultimate goal of transport technology is the annihilation of space, the compression of all Being into one pure point, it follows that six-packs help." Edward Abbey, Monkey Wrench Gang

Some Scott Kelby books.

Sent from my WinDroid HD2 using Tapatalk

"Just Kids" an autobiography by Patti Smith, about her life with Robert Mapplethorpe.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Still working on The Coming Plague (long) but also picked up The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

About the first human cells grown in culture, where they came from, how they have been used and shaped medicine.
    Chere'

Reading a rock climbing book (partially so I can get all the flippin' lingo down), as well as Out of Africa.

Have you read any of Ed Viesturs' books? I like Krakauer's books, but I really liked Viesturs' style and his idea of "getting up is optional, getting down is mandatory."

Anatoli Boukreev's "The Climb" is a different take on the Krakauer book. It is an interesting read, especially after "into thin air"

Just finished "The Virginian" by Owen Wister.

Recommended to: readers of Edward Abbey & lovers of Western books. I recommend it.

I'm 54% of the way through "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard. She has an incredibly positive attitude that allowed her to survive.

As a guest of my friend Joelle, I had an opportunity to hear the two officers speak about discovering/freeing Jaycee. The officers were being honored for their roll in Jaycee's freedom.

Back to reading...

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I was just looking at that book last night Felicia. Think it will be the next one I read.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    I was just looking at that book last night Felicia. Think it will be the next one I read.
    I finished the book yesterday afternoon. She is a true survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Re-reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. Entertaining and insightful.
    Scott - this book was great! I think that if I were ever to join a book club, this book would spark a great discussion - letter by letter. Thanks for the recommendation.