Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TR: November Slots and some Ghosting

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I believe Tom (Imlay Canyon Gear) is going to manufacture them. Release is still a few months away?

In the meantime, I understand that it is recommended to buy Steve a beer whenever passing through Springdale.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    I believe Tom (Imlay Canyon Gear) is going to manufacture them. Release is still a few months away?

In the meantime, I understand that it is recommended to buy Steve a beer whenever passing through Springdale.
    I cannot really release them till I get the straps made professionally - which means May 1 at earliest. There will be a few around before then for people to use.

Probably about $100.00.

That color is "Tan", Kev. Says so, right on the roll...

looking at that picture of the trap. it looks like the straps are binered and they are rapping from there. would it be possible to somehow incorporate rap rings into the straps, then the rap rope could be pulled and the retrieve rope could simply "unroll" the sand cleanly from teh trap ? would that be any more efficient than as it appears in the pic where it seems sand has to funnel out the ends or sift out the openings ? or would my scenario of "unrolling" the sand from the trap create a larger snag issue w/ that much more surface are of fabric free to catch ? and honestly, it looks like a decent snag issue to begin w/. how have they performed in that aspect so far ?
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    looking at that picture of the trap. it looks like the straps are binered and they are rapping from there. would it be possible to somehow incorporate rap rings into the straps, then the rap rope could be pulled and the retrieve rope could simply "unroll" the sand cleanly from teh trap ? would that be any more efficient than as it appears in the pic where it seems sand has to funnel out the ends or sift out the openings ? or would my scenario of "unrolling" the sand from the trap create a larger snag issue w/ that much more surface are of fabric free to catch ? and honestly, it looks like a decent snag issue to begin w/. how have they performed in that aspect so far ?
    we've stuck it once so far on a chokestone, but only because of my own mistake. the 4 cords that make the rap side actually wrapped a chockstone perfectly. i jugged it and retrieved it. it really doesn't "roll" out. the pull cord runs down the middle, and pushes the sand out the sides, and after enough sand empties, the whole trap starts to slide out, the rest of the sand emptying as the trap kind of bunches up on itself.

plus, in your scenario, you'd need 50% more rope on each drop. part of the lure of the trap is that it makes rope silos even more efficient, because no ropes get pulled through anything. you just pull the whole anchor out...

obviously, you can't use it for every situation, but it is loads easier than lots of other options (including building deadman anchors, or even trying to sling chockstones...) seriously takes like 3 minutes for each anchor, once the team is up to speed on it, and the sequence of things is smooth.

Greenest "tan" I've ever seen... Probably just all that green light in the canyon.

Man, I'm really keen to try this thing. I figured the pull cord in the middle, and the whole thing collapses and comes down. Cool!

Way to go, South Africa Steve!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    New pics and story up on the RAVE:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave

T

Really nice pictures, Tom. Thanks for linking to them. I'd like to get to the North Wash soon, maybe Thanksgiving weekend.