Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

I bought two books at REI this week, and received two books from Amazon.com in the mail.

From REI: Staying alive in avalanche terrain & The chuting gallery.
    From Amazon: The Mammals of Costa Rica & Tropical Plans of Costa Rica

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Just finished "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoyevski, and started "Tom Sawyer" my Mark Twain.
    How was The Brothers Karamazov? I tried reading that book at least 2x, and couldn't get into it. I had read Crime and Punishment years ago, enjoyed it immensely, so figured I'd read his other works.

It sounds like you're working your way through lots of classic literature - good for you! I've done the same thing several times in the past. I have Cervantes' Don Quixote de la Mancha to read one of these days , and a few others I can't remember.

-SJ
    Brothers Karamazov was extremely tedious. I hope that the others on my list of his aren't as bad.

Yeah, I am on a Classical Literature kick right now. Looking forward to some of the book. One that isn't on the list I want to read is Dante's Divine Comedy.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by wthomas
    the Book of Mormon
    Spammer! Quick hide your IP; their homing in on you.

I just started Slavomir Rawicz's The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyessmiling
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride On
    I am about to start Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, but i am lazy so i might listen to it instead.
    Thats not lazy! That is multi- tasking. I love books on tape. Last one I listened to was Bourne Identity. I have actually listened to it twice. Clean and listen or drive and listen.
    yah but im not doing anything productive wail i listen I am playing video games
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

Just finished Marx's Manifesto
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I'm reading two The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House . American Lion:Andrew Jackson in the White House is a biography of Andrew Jackson by John Meacham.

Just finished The Secret Knowledge of Water and The Way Out, both by Greg Childs.

Currently reading Under the Banner of Heaven.

Next up is The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan.

Explorer
    curently reading the art of dreaming, by carlos castenada.

Man on Fire - A.J. Quinnell

The rest of the books in this series are out of print and expensive...hoping to track them down slowly over time...

On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
    Never pistol whip someone with your gun...that could mar the finish.

"I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" - Tucker Max

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_trsh
    curently reading the art of dreaming, by carlos castenada.
    That guy will make your head spin. Will also make you VERY respectful of moths.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Consent to Kill by Vince Flynn.

Mitch Rapp is the man!

Finally finsihed Tom Sawyer - took me long enough.

Just picked up 'The Aeneid' by Virgil
    - Edward Abbey

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Lolita

I am frustrated by this book. I had no idea what it was about when I started reading it. I like the way the guy writes and uses all kinds of new words and very descriptive. But the topic makes my stomach turn. I don't think I will finish it. Anyone else read this?
    Chere'

Playing for Pizza by Grisham.

It's OK. Little slow to begin with and hasn't picked up yet and I'm 3/4 way through. It's about football....in Italy.
    Never pistol whip someone with your gun...that could mar the finish.

Consent to Kill by Vince Flynn.

Mitch Rapp is the man!
    I love Vince Flynn I have all his books on my iPod, and I listen to and from work. I don't have much time to read so I subscribed to www.audible.com they have thousands of books and it nice to be able to "read" books during my commute, while exercising, or doing yard work.

I just finished listening too "The Testament" by John Grisham and it was good.

Getting ready to start "Guilty". Have some computer crap to get out of the way first

"The Pirate King" by R.A. Salvatore

It's been out for 4 months, can't believe I'm such a slacker and didn't see it see it sooner. I have to say a little disappointed... But only due to the length. It's 350 pages but it's the big "harry potter type" font where there is 4 words per line and you get a cramp from turning pages so often. Then lots of skipped pages for chapter breaks and such. Got 3/4 of the way through it on a 5 hour flight. But even after having a series 25 books long, I'm still entertained so I can't complain much.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Dead Watch, by John Sanford.
    I love the Prey Novels, and the Kidd novels he wrote, so this was a next logical step.
    not actually reading it at the moment, but I did just buy it today, and I will start reading it either in the bathroom sometime today, or in bed tonight. Depends on what one of the two opportunities strike me first.