Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    A lot of Edward Abbey fans here.
    Would I like this Ed guy?
    I doubt it.
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just finished "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. A very unique sci-fi/love story novel. One of the best books I've read in a long time. To me, a book is good if you can't stop thinking about it and can't wait to talk to others that have read it. Finished the book over a week ago and still can't get it out of my mind.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    JP: Well... maybe. Just maybe... If you think you'd enjoy a beer with the Rev, then you'd likely enjoy a book with Ed.
    He's a Liberal, isn't he He's a founder of the Church of Environmentalism, isn't he....... Hmmmmm. Well, if it's done objectively and not all one-sided, I probably can stomach that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I doubt it.
    It all depends on how he writes.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    JP: Well... maybe. Just maybe... If you think you'd enjoy a beer with the Rev, then you'd likely enjoy a book with Ed.
    He's a Liberal, isn't he He's a founder of the Church of Environmentalism, isn't he....... Hmmmmm. Well, if it's done objectively and not all one-sided, I probably can stomach that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    I doubt it.
    It all depends on how he writes.
    No nonsense, no BS. Honestly, I can't see how anyone who loves the desert could not love Desert Solitaire. You do need to read that, I'd say. It may annoy you in parts, may even piss you right off, but when you read his descriptions of a "harsh and beautiful land", you'll get over all that. Then you can feel free to ignore the Monkey Wrench Gang and so on...

I've gone back to the Heritage of Shannara series by Terry Brooks...currently Druid of Shannara...chapter 26 page 325 to be precise

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    I've gone back to the Heritage of Shannara series by Terry Brooks...currently Druid of Shannara...chapter 26 page 325 to be precise
    Elfstones of Shannara is my favorite- maybe it's because it was the first book of his I read. But, even after reading them all a couple of times, it still reamains my favorite. I met Terry Brooks at a book signing at BYU. It was right after my back surgery so I could barely walk but I just had to meet the man. He could tell I was in pain and wrote a nice get well message in my new copy of Running With the Demon.
    Are we there yet?

Elfstones is one of my favs too, although the Knight of the Word series is great in it's own right. Yeah, a big Terry Brooks fan here.
    ....and his Landover series is good too.

Just finished "Deep Survival: Who lives,Who dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales and "The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard

yeah, two books at one time...

Both are fascinating books.

Next up is "No Picnic on Mount Kenya" by Felice Benuzzi

Somehow I missed out on Treasure Island over the years so I downloaded a pdf from google books ;-) They used to have Tolkien's trilogy but now it's gone :-(
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Just finished "Deep Survival: Who lives,Who dies, and Why" by Laurence Gonzales and "The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard

yeah, two books at one time...

Both are fascinating books.

Next up is "No Picnic on Mount Kenya" by Felice Benuzzi
    If you liked Deep Survival, you'll LOVE "Surviving the Extremes" by Kenneth Kamler

Only two books eh? ; )~

Believe it or not, I have about 7 going right now!

Almost done with "Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West" by Hampton Sides....after the other six (I've promised myself I won't pick up another until ALL of those are over with) I'm planning to read "Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design" by Michael Shermer so I can give it back to it's rightful owner!

followed by

"Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia " by Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari (this book has come highly recommended to me by my daughter Rachael).

My name is randi and I'm a book-a-holic!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

just finished 'Talismans of Shannara' - book four of the Heritage series.
    ...now I have several more Terry Brooks' to choose from...hit the book sale at the library

Finishing "Into the Wild" by Krakauer and re-starting "Outlander" by Diane Gabdalgon.

Wanted to read the book first (into the wild) before watching the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Finishing "Into the Wild" by Krakauer and re-starting "Outlander" by Diane Gabdalgon.

As is the norm, the book is much better.

However, the movie did not portray McCandles as a nut. It was well done.

Yup it's typically like that so I totally made myself read the book first. I like Krakauers style of writing. I've read all of his other books and am surprised I didn't read this one. He really dives into the subject and offers many facts which I think is considerate, unbiased writing.

Yup it's typically like that so I totally made myself read the book first. I like Krakauers style of writing. I've read all of his other books and am surprised I didn't read this one. He really dives into the subject and offers many facts which I think is considerate, unbiased writing.
    Great reads, so what do you think of Into the wild, so far?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I'm kinda reading J.R.R. Tolkens The Children of Hurin.

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride

Great reads, so what do you think of Into the wild, so far?

I'm loving it so far. I'm almost done but haven't picked it up in a few days b/c I've been super busy. Overall, I love Krakauers writing and I find the story fascinating. I feel for Chris b/c it depicts him from day one as not fitting into normal society and he's somewhat of a robot to his parents. Are his parents to blame for his adult decisions? Hard to say. Seems as if he connects with nature more than anything else?? I haven't finished but when I do, I'll let ya know what I think.

"Diana Gabaldon". (Been drinkin'? )

I've enjoyed that series, despite it being advertised as a "romance".

I just finished "Defining the World: The Extraordinary Story of Dr Johnson's Dictionary", by Henry Hitchings. Interesting stuff, along the lines of some of Simon Winchester's stuff: "The Map That Changed the World" and "The Professor and the Madman".

Prior to that was "With God on Their Side: How Christian Fundamentalists Trampled Science, Policy, and Democracy in George W. Bush's White House" by Esther Kaplan. Somewhat political.

Currently reading "Shadowplay" by Tad Williams (really enjoyed the first in this series, "Shadowmarch".) His "Otherland" series was incredible.

Also slowly working through "Darwin's Orchestra" by Michael Sims - an essay-a-day almanac of the intersection of the arts and natural history. Interesting tidbits throughout.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I just finished reading Killer Elite (Military SF oriented) and Battle of Mogadishu.

Time to head to B&N for a new book(s).

Just finished Lee Iacocca's Where have all the leaders gone?

I'm also reading Hemingway's A Moveable Feast and Robert Wood's The 2 oz. Backpacker.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?