Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Zion Noobfest June 6-9 - See 1st post for info summary

Bogley BigShot
    It's one of those types of canyons that can take only a couple of hours or many hours. There is a lot to explore out there. Get with Nelson and ask him what he has in mind. If you have a 4WD you could follow the group in and then leave when you want. There are 2 separate forks to explore and those can be done by driving to each or going up canyon, scramble out then across country to near the top of the next fork.

So --- it's all up to your fearless leader Nelson.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Camping plans changed for J-ROB and I, we will be staying in the likes of a condo in St. George.

Well, to make things more complicated my group isn't doing Das Boot anymore. We have decided to do Fat Man's Misery. That way we don't have to worry about the stupid permit stuff and making it down the night before or waking up and wasting time in the morning.
    So me, Cacc, Tyson and women are switching to Misery. Sorry for the last minute switch-up
    The man thong is wrong.

Regarding Courtney's Saturday Hidden Cyn agenda, Jeff and Sherry are out and Andy is in. We're meeting at the backcountry window at 7 a.m. on Saturday, packed and ready to get on the shuttle.

Those joining us for Mystery (and the peak) on Sunday, meet at 6 a.m. at the visitor center shuttle pick-up.

If other folks wanna join, we have one spot available for both Sat and Sun.

CP

Meeting place and time....

Saturday - Zion Visitor Center - 9:00 am
    We will pick up all permits for the weekend at this time.

Sunday - Lower Subway Trailhead - 7:00 am

Directions to Lower Subway Trailhead - AKA: Left Fork Trailhead - From the Zion Canyon Visitor Center drive 14 miles west on Highway 9 to the town of Virgin. Turn north (right) on the signed Kolob Reservoir Road. Travel 8.1 miles to the signed Left Fork Trailhead. The trailhead is on the east (right) side of the road and contains a large dirt parking lot, pit toilet and information kiosk. It takes 30 minutes to reach the TH from Springdale.

Don't be late, we will not wait.

We'll split the groups up shortly.

Hey all,

So finally think I have everything figured out on my side. It looks like I'm going to head down solo, which makes things easier for coordination. I'll likely jump on Nelson and Rock's trip on Saturday; will definitely see everyone at the Noodle on Saturday night, and am planning the Das Boot/Subway trip on Sunday.

I'm also planning on staying down in Zion for the following week (so I'll be there from 6/7 - 6/15). I have a pretty aggressive list of canyons that I'm going to try to hit; but am obviously limited by those that don't need car shuttles. For an example of some of my days, I'm thinking of trying:
    An echo/mystery combo - Maybe Spearhead too if time?
    A telephone, behunin combo
    Imlay in a day from Potato Hollow
    Heaps in a day from Phantom Valley
    Boundary
    Kolob
    etc.

If you are going to be in Zion, and want to join me on any of the days (no offense, but we'll be chatting about your background if I don't know you), feel free to e-mail me at aj(at)meet-outdoors(dot)com. If you are just going to be in the area, and want to hang out a bit, feel free to contact me as well. Let me know ahead of time, and I'll give you my cell number; I'll have cell reception off and on through the trip. Likely won't be consistently camping in one spot; as it will depend on the canyon lineup.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!
    A.J.

We are leaving tomorrow AM for Zion We have 4 adults and 3 older boys. If anyone is coming down early for noobfest and is looking for some company come find us We will be in the group site in the watchman camp ground.
    see you on the Trail
    Scout Master
    See you on the Trail

Just a few other questions and some other information for the group.

I talked to Rock, and the Smith Mesa Campground is about 2 miles down the Smith Mesa road. I don't have a map in front of me, but from what I remember, you take the road that goes north toward West Rim (same road for Subway), and you will make a left onto Smith Mesa Road. I think the park boundary is 1.4 miles down on that road, and I think Nelson's and Rock's group will be camping within 2 miles of the turnoff. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the Noodle on Saturday; what time are people meeting up? Are we hanging out at anyone's campsite afterwards?

A.J.

abirken- Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had no idea the noob fest was going to hapen, until you let me know, so thanks a lot.

And thanks again to those who have taken the time to get this going.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    abirken- Thanks for pointing this out to me. I had no idea the noob fest was going to hapen, until you let me know, so thanks a lot.

And thanks again to those who have taken the time to get this going.

YWELCOME! It's going to be great to meet everyone and finally put names with faces. Yes this has been a bigger deal than I originally thought a Noobfest would be which is great. I know alot of extra work has gone into this and I really appreciate it as well.

I hate to flake at this date - but with packing and moving I've blown my back out again - it was the dresser that did it this time. Rather than wait and see if it's better I thought I would back out of Saturday now and hopefully someone can take my spot.

I will be there for dinner at the Pizza Noodle to meet everyone though.

Thanks Tanya Shane and everyone else for getting this all set up - you have no idea how much I was looking forward to it.

Lin

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    I hate to flake at this date - but with packing and moving I've blown my back out again - it was the dresser that did it this time. Rather than wait and see if it's better I thought I would back out of Saturday now and hopefully someone can take my spot.

Thanks Tanya Shane and everyone else for getting this all set up - you have no idea how much I was looking forward to it.

Lin
    Bummer about your back! Hope it heals quickly...
    I guess we met once at a Tomfest, but I'm not sure who you are. It'll be nice to put a face with the name (as with all the other folks here).
    Glad we'll see you over at the Pizza Noodle. : )
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

just a FYI, I believe the Pizza and Noodle takes cash and checks only, no cc or debit cards.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    just a FYI, I believe the Pizza and Noodle takes cash and checks only, no cc or debit cards.
    i believe you're correct. note to self: better bring the cash when dining here!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We have an opening for ONE person on Saturday and TWO on Sunday.....

We are not interested in adding any more novice at this time, but if you are capable of taking care of yourself without outside help you are welcome to join up.

At this time... Preference will be given to those with more experience and anyone willing to bribe me with out-of-state beer.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Just a few other questions and some other information for the group.

I talked to Rock, and the Smith Mesa Campground is about 2 miles down the Smith Mesa road. I don't have a map in front of me, but from what I remember, you take the road that goes north toward West Rim (same road for Subway), and you will make a left onto Smith Mesa Road. I think the park boundary is 1.4 miles down on that road, and I think Nelson's and Rock's group will be camping within 2 miles of the turnoff. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the Noodle on Saturday; what time are people meeting up? Are we hanging out at anyone's campsite afterwards?

A.J.
    To get to Smith Mesa from Springdale:

Drive 14 miles South and West to the town of Virgin. Turn Right on the Kolob Terrace road (aka Kolob Reservoir Roat, aka KT road).

Proceed appros 7.5 miles up the KT to the Smith Mesa road. This is between the Right Fork and Left Fork trailheads. Turn Left onto the Smith Mesa dirt road.

Arive another mile and a half. Keep your eyes peeled for a large group of unruly people. Introduce yourself. Party Hearty, whether they are the noobfest or not.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Yep - I'm sitting here next to the Pizza Noodle right now listening to some east coast lady lay into the poor staff about it. Number one question in Zion Outdoor "Where's the nearest ATM?" Right before "Do you sell Moleskin?"

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ

Lin
    Bummer about your back! Hope it heals quickly...
    I guess we met once at a Tomfest, but I'm not sure who you are. It'll be nice to put a face with the name (as with all the other folks here).
    Glad we'll see you over at the Pizza Noodle. : )

Yeah - it was last summer. I was the tall blond who hung out in camp a bit with you and your daughters - I think it was the day you did Keyhole in bikinis. Anyway, I'll be there for sure on Friday. I owe Shane a couple (or more) beers.

L

So, another plan change.
    I'm going to back out of Courtney's group for Hidden Canyon on Saturday. (Thanks anyway Courtney). Jaxx/Felicia hooked me up with a Saturday Das Boot permit their not going to use so Josh and I are going to jump on that opportunity!
    The permit is for 6 people. So we have 4 openings into Das Boot Saturday and would love for some one to come along with us.
    Josh and I are intermediate canyoneers. I'm quite confident we can do this canyon with just the two of us, we have GPS, rope, maps, technical gear. But part of the reason we are coming down to Zion this weekend is to meet other canyoneers so we would love someone to join us.

Ok last minute details: Anyone going with our group to PineCreek on Sunday lets meet at the lower TH at 8 am. Hopefully I will get the permit Saturday night. If not I may be a little late.

If you want my cell just PM me. See everyone this weekend!!!
    The man thong is wrong.