Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Findmespot - Satellite Messaging GPS / PLB

Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    i saw a commercial for this with les stroud promoting it. so i know he wouldn't promote a product he doesn't belive in. it's a wouderful tool.

as for me i have no use for it because i know i can survive and i don't go out or very far into the woods that often. but for the average joe maybe a person who has "it won't happen to me syndrome" then it's a perfect product but also for people who go realy realy deep into the backwoods that couldn't realy get to any help.

i'm looking forward to reading about people's experiences with it
    Sounds like you are contradicting yourself there

I think everyone MUST carry this with them. It will save the time and money not just you, but 30 others who are searching for you and your family.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan
    If you get your SPOT from Gary at ATVUtah.com he throws in a free carrying case. Worth about $15.

I like this case, it has pouches to carry a spare set of batteries.
    Very rugged too, the clip is designed so it wont fall of a belt/strap.

Spot
    http://www.atvutah.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=122

Case
    http://www.atvutah.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=153
    Thanks for the links bud, I have a dividend with REI worth $140 bucks, just enough to almost cover the device from REI, so I think I am getting it from them.

I appreciate the links though, the case does sound good. Do you still get the reception in the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by theking648
    i saw a commercial for this with les stroud promoting it. so i know he wouldn't promote a product he doesn't belive in. it's a wouderful tool.

as for me i have no use for it because i know i can survive and i don't go out or very far into the woods that often. but for the average joe maybe a person who has "it won't happen to me syndrome" then it's a perfect product but also for people who go realy realy deep into the backwoods that couldn't realy get to any help.

i'm looking forward to reading about people's experiences with it
    Sounds like you are contradicting yourself there

I think everyone MUST carry this with them. It will save the time and money not just you, but 30 others who are searching for you and your family.
    first i've been practicing survival for the past 3 years. and one of my bigest rules is i provide my dad with a map of were i'm going (mostly a trail) a date and time when i'm exspected to check in. and i never go into the woods without my PSK (personal survival kit).

and again i wouldn't need it. i don't get out very much let alone go vary far. so i'm not going to pay for the unit and the yearly fee. so money wise it's not worth it for me. especially when i don't have a job.

i do like the product and i like the idea behind it.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

I'd get it from REI too then. Damn they must love you.

It works fine in the case. The flap does not seem to inhibit reception or transmission when in Tracking mode.

He'll sell just the case. Its the only one I've seen that fits properly and
    has the room for spare batteries. Like anything else they always go dead at the wrong time. Worse because they last so long. The clip is designed so it will not simply slip off so its safe to clip to any thing it will fit around.

That cheap belt clip it comes with is removable. I threw it away.

I always wear it on my body when I'm out of the city.
    I want it within arms reach no matter what happens.
    Not much use if I'm in the bottom of a ravine and its in my quad box.
    Sometimes I clip it to my camelback strap mostly my belt.

Around town its clipped to the dash also within reach.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Funny you mention the clip. The last hike we took with Ice and my buddy redbonez, Adam (redbonez) brought his SPOT with him. We were hiking right along Sandthrax on the left side, bsing and enjoying the time.

We were hiking up to Leprechaun trail head, as Adam was showing off his SPOT, we turned to go up the still hill as we hear "tink tink tink, boom, boooooom" as the SPOT was taking a plung down about 150 feet towards the Sandthrax.

Luckily it stopped before getting too close to the drop off. But I was impressed it took such an abuse and kept on working.

Yeah the clip that comes with the SPOT is a joke.
    I removed it and threw it away so I would never be tempted to use it.

I kept the screw that held it on and put a lanyard on it. Put some thread lock on the screw before putting it back in the hole.

That way I can lash it to my belt or pack so that even if I get the case jammed hard enough to peel it off or even break the clip it won't be lost.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!