Thread: Wave tomorrow and weather Sucks!!

Wave tomorrow and weather Sucks!!

Someone got me a couple of permits for the Wave and the SW Utah weather takes a big down turn. Last year I did it in March in flurries, drizzle and ice pellets. Looks like I get the same thing this year.

Not Happy!

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That sucks. I have permits for Coyote Butte South at the end of next month, so I'm crossing my fingers for better weather.

Maybe it will clear and you'll get some killer pics of the Wave dusted with snow.

Bogley BigShot
    Bo and I were writing up the Wave for the St. George Today magazine and we got a tip where this outstanding arch (Melody Arch) and Dinosaur Tracks were-- that we wanted to add to the article.

Do you get that magazine in Toquerville Win or do they ignore you guys... like big towns often do?

Anyway..... the weather report was for a major storm. We went anyway because I really really really wanted to add those to the article and Bo always gives into to me for better or worse. It was a BLAST!!!! The best trips for me have always been in a flash flood or a snow or rain storm. It adds to the trip. We got out of there at dark and the snow was literally piled a foot on top of my head.

So don't despair the weather. It might end up being the best trip ever!!!

Just if you go to Top Arch and Melody Arch get up and off before any real snow hits.

Hope the weather misses that area, Win, so you can enjoy your day. Anyway, be careful on House Rock Valley Rd. You know how slick it gets when wet. Good luck.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

That is a bummer but I'll be surprised if you don't still post some awesome pictures later.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

We were there Presidents Day, and you know how the weather was then. It only drizzeled on us on the way out, but being overcast made for some good pictures.

Bogley BigShot
    It's snowing hard today! You should have a blast!!!!

I personally think the wave with fresh snow would be awsome to photograph. Hope the lighting is good.
    Life is Good

Well, we drove to Page on Tuesday and picked up the permits. When we got up on Wed the weather was threateneing and there was already snow at Page. Smart guy that I am I decided to pass on the Wave and take a scenic drive home thru Jacob Lake.

Error! We came up from Marble Canyon into quite a snow storm. We passed one pickup and one semi heading East. We were the only car heading to Jacob Lake. Visibility was about 100 ft and there was about 2 feet of snow on the road. When we got to Jacob Lake they told us 67 was closed from Fredonia and they advised against trying to go down the mountain. In fact, two fellows had just been rescued from their car by snow mobile.

End result was we hunkered down in Jacob Lake and drove out this AM. Road was icy but clear for the first 10 miles. We'll go back and do the Wave another day.I want my wife to enjoy the place not be worried about snow and road conditions.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Well, we drove to Page on Tuesday and picked up the permits. When we got up on Wed the weather was threateneing and there was already snow at Page. Smart guy that I am I decided to pass on the Wave and take a scenic drive home thru Jacob Lake.

Error! We came up from Marble Canyon into quite a snow storm. We passed one pickup and one semi heading East. We were the only car heading to Jacob Lake. Visibility was about 100 ft and there was about 2 feet of snow on the road. When we got to Jacob Lake they told us 67 was closed from Fredonia and they advised against trying to go down the mountain. In fact, two fellows had just been rescued from their car by snow mobile.

End result was we hunkered down in Jacob Lake and drove out this AM. Road was icy but clear for the first 10 miles. We'll go back and do the Wave another day. I want my wife to enjoy the place not be worried about snow and road conditions.

Win
    Oh no!!! The Wave is so cool in the snow!!!! Now Jacob Lake is a problem in the snow. I hope the layover was not too bad. You were probably packed with food and drink for the day. I hope you had blankets.

Sorry about your experience, Win. I'm hoping to get walk-in permits one day next week. There will be three of us, but you are welcome if we can all get permits. BTW, last March I went to BLM in Kanab for permits. You said you got yours in Page. What gives?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Stan, I picked them up from someone that had extras. You still go to Kanab thru March 15th, I think. Thanks for the offer but I blew enough days this week You retired folks have it too good.

Win

Hi!

I hope you've the chance to go and visit the Wave.
    I've been there three times, saw it dry and filled with water. Would be cool to see it with snow.
    If time allows don't miss exploring the surrounding area, special the Top Rock, Second Wave and the Sand Cove - so much to explore there!

Eva
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by jolly
    Hi!

I've been there three times, saw it dry and filled with water. Would be cool to see it with snow.
    If time allows don't miss exploring the surrounding area, special the Top Rock, Second Wave and the Sand Cove - so much to explore there!

Eva
    Awesome! You found Melody Arch and Top Rock Arch!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Hi!

Eva
    It's not really difficult to find these places, specially not when having GPS.
    In Germany this place is so popular and except the trail-description you find so many information in the web.
    I can't understand those who just go there to see the Wave and return without having a closer look at the environment.

Bogley BigShot
    Hi!

Eva
    It's not really difficult to find these places, specially not when having GPS.
    In Germany this place is so popular and except the trail-description you find so many information in the web.
    I can't understand those who just go there to see the Wave and return without having a closer look at the environment.
    I like your avatar So true... it just takes the desire.

I like your avatar So true... it just takes the desire.
    Thanks

Win, I happened to be driving through Jacob Lake at about 8:00 on Wednesday night. Yup, it was ugly. There I was in my little rental Dodge Caliber, following a plow the whole way through, headed from Vegas to Lees Ferry. I'd heard there was snow, but WOW. Yeah, easily 2 feet on the sides of the road. The road was covered in ice and snow for about 5-10 miles, and patches of it for longer than that.

Hey, this time of year is there ever a chance of getting a permit for Coyote Buttes North on the day of? Rather than the day before. I'm just a few miles from the Kanab office, and I think it might make a good trip for today. The office there opens in an hour and a quarter. Maybe I should just drive on down and try it out...

On the other hand, anyone got one spare permit for today?

Cirrus, I thought about you going in on Thursday, glad it worked out for you. Same day for North might be tough, worth a try. We got a south permit with no problem over Thanksgiving, late Nov to you Canucks.

Give me a call if you're heading back to Vegas thru Zion. If you're in the area we'll have you over for dinner. I'm 2 miles from the Rt 9 intersection in LaVerkin. 435/635-4000

Win

Before the plow:[img]

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Give me a call if you're heading back to Vegas thru Zion. If you're in the area we'll have you over for dinner.
    Hey Win, sorry, I never looked at this thread again after I posted here. I left the lodge (great place) and went to Kanab office - yup all permits gone. Figured as much. Went and hiked up to the top of Yellow Rock. A nice quick & easy hike after 4 days on the trail. Actually, I consider it one of the best 2 hour hikes I've ever, ever done. Really lots of payoff for the effort involved. Then I drove straight back through to Vegas. And here I am.

So again, thanks so much, and sorry I missed your invite - really most kind. Next time I'm through this way (possibly October?) I'll get in touch and we can get together!

Kevin