Thread: GPS reviews

GPS reviews

Hi all (you too Shane),

I've posted reviews for many GPS models on my blog, GPS Tracklog. I try to keep them up to date and link to as many hands-on user reviews as I can. I hope they will be of some help if you are in the market for one.

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Rich, welcome to the club.

If you guys want to know about GPS or mapping software this is da man

How about overlaying a GPS route recorded by my wife's Garmin Forerunner onto a topo or street map? Any suggestions?

I am new to using a GPS, but every time we use it for a hike or for her running, it plots the course which I'm assuming can be transposed onto a map.

I'm just not sure where to start.
    thanks!

Download USA Photomaps (just google it)

Do a search on the geocaching.com forums and it will tell you how to do it.
    Here's an example:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    How about overlaying a GPS route recorded by my wife's Garmin Forerunner onto a topo or street map? Any suggestions?
    Mtnbiker,

Bigben has a good suggestion. USAPhotoMaps is a good program, and free. For more functions, you might want to try TopoFusion. Actually, nearly any mapping software will do what you want. The ones above are great for aerial photos. National Geographic TOPO and the like will give you better printed maps. Have fun with the Forerunner!

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

I made this review about the Rino 530, Garmin 60CS and Garmin 76CS. I thought I would post it here in case in came in handy. Here is a review comparing the 3 of them:

76CS-
    Pros- Floats. Has 115mb of memory (about double any other hand held gps). A built in tide chart (If you don't work at sea, I'm not sure how necessary it is, but it sounds fun). AA battery pack. And the other standard quality features that the other units offer.

Cons- All reports lead to a poor antenna due to being internal (my brother owns this model and purchased an external cable that serves as an antenna and he said it worked great after that). The format of the unit is awkward. The buttons are above the screen and the width of the gps, kind of requires the use of both hands. (My brother purchased an external antenna for this model though, and it has worked much better for him since).

60CS-
    Pros- Most of the bells and whistles that the other two have, with a strong, convenient interface. The external antenna creates a great signal. AA battery pack and the least expensive of the three. This unit looks like the rino (minus the radio antenna) but with the button structure of the 76cs (only with the buttons on bottom).

Cons- Less memory than the 76, a few less extras (does not float, etc.). Even with this being an older model, everyone with whom I spoke told me that if I were going to get the 60 or the 76, to get the 60 because of the external antenna's increased signal.

Rino 530- Having the radio is a fun feature. The listing states that it has 14 mile range, which I am content to accept as 5 miles, so far the range has been adequate where ever I have traveled in a 8 mile range (it cuts out a little sometimes, but it works pretty well). The icon to see your friends and family is fun if you know somebody else that has a rino. My father and best friend purchased their rinos the same time I did. So there are three of us and it is wonderful to know there locations with a click of the button. By myself the radio feature would be a lot less exciting (though my Motorola walkie-talkies can sink up and broadcast with the rino on the same channels). The rino has everything the 60 has plus national weather broadcast (I enjoy that more than I thought I would. I push a button and the radio broadcasts the report for the area). You can now also purchase the AA battery pack for the long distance treks (I own it and it works great).

Cons- The radio does cut out a little while I am communicating. The unit originally locked up fairly frequently but the last update seems to have corrected that though it still has locked up a few times after the update.

Through personal searching you will be able to find more general comparisons. I had a hard time deciding. What put me over the top was being able to purchase the AA battery pack. When I first received my rino I was very careful opening it, so if I was not satisfied I would be able to resell it. I broadcasted on full volume and the signal was strong enough to distort my television signal, then I knew this was the unit for me.

The radio works well. The antenna works well. It takes about a day, but once you get it down, it is very simple (oh and before I forget if you hold down the power button it will turn off, if you push it once it becomes the back light button). Anyway, whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your gps. I have been very pleased with the rino 530.