Thread: Shoulder surgery

Shoulder surgery

I am going in for SLAP lesion (shoulder) repair surgery next week. Not quite sure what this is exactly, but I think it's to repair some torn cartilage. I wasn't too worried about it until the doctor told me I'd probably be in a sling for 7 to 8 weeks and wouldn't be doing any skiing this year and that it will take about 9 months to a year to get back to 100 percent. This seem harsh and makes me a bit uneasy. Have any of you had the procedure and can you tell me about your recovery? Does it really take this long to recover?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Re: Shoulder surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Uliston
    I am going in for SLAP lesion (shoulder) repair surgery next week. Not quite sure what this is exactly, but I think it's to repair some torn cartilage. I wasn't too worried about it until the doctor told me I'd probably be in a sling for 7 to 8 weeks and wouldn't be doing any skiing this year and that it will take about 9 months to a year to get back to 100 percent. This seem harsh and makes me a bit uneasy. Have any of you had the procedure and can you tell me about your recovery? Does it really take this long to recover?
    I haven't personally been through it, but my sister stayed with me during her recovery when she had to have it done a few years ago. Hers was a torn rotator cuff with cartilage repair, so I am guessing it's close in nature. The recovery time is what she was given. One thing that helped was her physical therapy sessions. At first it was a couple of times a week, and then once a week for a long time. She seemed pretty much back to normal after about 6 mos or so, but I know she had to curtail certain activities for longer than that. She also slept in a recliner during the first few weeks of recovery because the bed was too uncomfortable. Good luck to you!
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

until the doctor told me I'd probably be in a sling for 7 to 8 weeks and wouldn't be doing any skiing this year and that it will take about 9 months to a year to get back to 100 percent.
    This Thursday will be three weeks that I had a ACL, cartilage repair and partial Knee replacement. My Doctor were off by half. In their defense they have never done all three. I would use their recovery as a loose guide. It could be a little more than they are letting on.
    Good Luck Nights are the worst.
    Peter