Thread: Iceaxe quote in Backpacker - The Survival Issue

Iceaxe quote in Backpacker - The Survival Issue

The October 2006 issue of Backpacker magazine is a great one. I read it cover to cover waiting for the wife to give birth and had a hard time putting it down when the docs finally showed up and started slicing! It's all about survival and I was happy to see that a significant number of the stories/articles dealt with situations in the Utah backcountry. There's even a nice Iceaxe quote about having a fallback plan in case of bad weather (page 76 in the Flash Flood paragraph).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SWEET..... thanks for the heads up. I would sure hate to miss my 15 minutes of fame.

Is this online somewhere? We also don't want to miss his 15 minutes...

perhaps someone could scan the page and provide a jpg image for us

OK, I'm a major geek.... I admit it....

After Uliston mentioned the Backpacker article I had to hurry down and buy a copy to show the wife and kids.

My quote is very small with just something about having a backup plan when canyoneering so you don't feel obligated to do a slot if the weather is questionable. But they did include the Climb-Utah.com website address. I'm now spamming on a national level....

This is really an excellent issue if you like survival stories and such. Tons of Utah slots and mishaps are mentioned. This is really a must have edition and is really well done. When I first heard about the Backpacker Survival Project I was thinking they would do the "Outside Mag" type deal where the city slickers are told to buy more expensive gear.... ...but not so... this is a really good read.

This issue has been sitting on my desk waiting to be read... maybe I'll read it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've included a few other articles about canyoneering that have been popping up in backpacker magazine over the last couple of issues. There's a pic of the Cathedral in Pine, a rope on webbing anchor illustration, and one on Paria. The survival issue also had a big article on an editors trip through Blue John.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

My quote is very small with just something about having a backup plan when canyoneering so you don't feel obligated to do a slot if the weather is questionable. But they did include the Climb-Utah.com website address. I'm now spamming on a national level....
    They listed your website as a good place to get info on Canyons a couple of issues back. It was on like page 6 or 7 right side, they listed toms page, yours, and Kelseys book as sources for more info on canyons. I'll scan it tonight and post it tomorrow.

I read it as well - the whole thing, cover to cover. I thought it was an excellent issue. I loved the story about the bear attack. Wow.

It's funny, I have subscribed to Backpacker for probably 10 years. I've lived in MI until I moved here 4 years ago. I used to drool at the beautiful places photographed in the magazine. Now, I routinely find myself sitting in a page from the mag, as I look around and say to myself, "I cant believe I live here" " I cant believe this is my back yard!"

Pretty dang cool.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Very cool indeed! Ice is the mayhan!!

That is pretty cool!

Uliston - how is your wife after this "slicing?" Did you have a boy or girl?

Hi Shan, thanks for asking. My wife is doing great and my boy (Ryder) got home Saturday afternoon after spending a sleepy week in the NICU (he was 4 weeks premature and hypoglycemic). Can hardly wait until he's old enough to hike, bike, and ski!