Thread: Best Things to See in Yellowstone

Best Things to See in Yellowstone

What are the best things to see in Yellowstone (besides the geysers and hot springs, which I find kind of boring)?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Fire Hole River Swimming Hole is always one of my favorite places. My kids love "jumping the chute".

There has been some talk of closing it recently so I'm not sure if it's still good to go.

https://youtu.be/PgvJC7adqC8

Uncle Tom's Trail to the base of the Lower Yellowstone Falls is also interesting. Those are both tourist destinations....

One of the most interesting things I've done in the area is climbing Grand Teton... but that's a giant step up in skill set and commitment.

Personally I love the geysers and hot pots in Geyser Basin, so what do I know.

Wolves in the distance, Bison (but not too close!). Leaving our campsite outside of Yellowstone early one morning an adult wolf loped over the road right in front of the car - astounding!

If you haven't been to Yellowstone then you simply have to go. The sheer majesty of it. Make sure you camp in the park and explore for a minimum of 4 full days. You don't have to go "geyser crazy"...there are plenty of trails that are going to take you to the wild.

Just go. I'd wait until it starts getting colder, as that will drive the crowds off. I wonder when they "usually" shut down the highways?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

BTW, when we hiked up Mt Washburn in Yellowstone, there was a herd of Bighorn sheep about 1/4 mile down fron the summit, just hanging out above toe road-trail. One gal, one her cell phone, walked right by them - oblivious.

I watched a guy try to put his hat on the head of a Buffalo so he could take it's picture next to his wife.... it didn't end well, I hear the guy lived, but to was touch and go on site... stupid tourists...

Just checked it out and it appears the middle of October is when things start shutting down...in regards to camping.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I agree, just go and explore. It is a wonderful place. There are places (hot pots, geysers) that are truly unique. Like every national park, you have to go. Your second trip you can skip the tourist stuff, but you gotta see the tourist stuff because it is good. I actually don't say that about some national parks like the Zion National Park tourist hikes. A lot of the tourist hikes aren't that great in Zion.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I actually don't say that about some national parks like the Zion National Park tourist hikes. A lot of the tourist hikes aren't that great in Zion.
    Seriously?!? The Narrows, Angels Landing, Observation Point and the Emerald Pools can hold their own against just about any National Park I've visited... or maybe I'm just missing all the good tourist traps in the other National Parks.