Thread: Angels Landing trail in Zion moving to reservation system

Angels Landing trail in Zion moving to reservation system

You knew it was going to happen eventually.

Name:  E2755994-9040-42D2-9592-0ED2DF659E1D.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  26.4 KB

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...g71oCjhnrACIW8

Glad I’ve satisfied all of my AL summit desires.
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What a joke.

I suspect the park system is licking their chops over how much $$$ they'll make on permit-less hikers.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    So will the angels landing permit cover lower refrigerator?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Name:  boooo.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  26.3 KB

BOOOOOOOO!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    So will the angels landing permit cover lower refrigerator?
    That’s all part of the Rim trail network. I’m willing to bet the AL permit will be regulated at the turn off from the Rim trail at actual AL.
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

The article says the trail is "5 miles"...so I reckon they figure it to start from the Lodge. Are they gonna have a guard standing there to check permits? A guard at the top of the Wiggles? What about people passing thru?

So a few took a dive off the thing and now out of concern those that pay are going to be safe? The permit will protect them? We're any thrown or pushed off? Why not just close the thing permanently so no one will ever die "climbing" it again?

Perhaps they should have spent a couple billion dollars to clear all the rocks out of the first two miles from the bottom of the Narrows...'cause I see a hell of a lot of people struggling much more there than on the AL hike, right?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Well--hopefully they put in a tram from the bottom and a steakhouse on top.

Then maybe 2-3 ziplines off the top to various lower canyon locations.

Then dynamite the narrow section of the trail above scouts.

That should keep the pesky tourist in line.

Seriously, I've been up there, likely over 20 times in every season, including winter on ice.

These parks cannot sustain these visitation numbers, imo.

Make the whole park a permit, 300 people a day.

Permit entitles you to any area of the park.

Oh--and a roller coaster, every park needs a roller coaster, maybe off observation point to the main visitor center,

It could make a big loop just in front of angels landing so the steak diners could watch from their tables.

This would be a National park in the future, none of the silly stuff like hiking down canyons with ropes, yea, none of that, far to dangerous.

I for one am just grateful these caring folks who manage these parks are just looking out for our best interest.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I stopped bothering with Zion permits 15 years ago... never been stopped or bothered. No matter what happens from here on in I'm ahead of the game.

They will police Angels Landings permits this year and after that just use the permits as an ATM machine... same as the canyoneering permits.

11. Likes rockgremlin, Byron liked this post
    At the Zion Rendezvous in '19 I had just rapped off Englestead with some friends and apparently 15 minutes later another group from the gathering arrived...mostly well mannered Mormon guys. Soon after they got there, a Ranger showed up with a young "ranger in training" and proceeded to ask for the permit with an attitude...insisted he smelled marijuana and there were one too many there for the permit. They say he was a real jerk...it's a good thing I wasn't there...because if pot HADN'T been smoked (and I seriously doubt it was with those guys...and who the hell gets high before making a 300' rappel?) I would have reamed that Ranger up one side and down the other. Seriously...those that know me are nodding their heads.

Anyway...in over 30 years and many, many trips done to Zion I've never been asked to present a permit. Never in the Narrows, never after Left Fork. Maybe I've been lucky?...but I've heard about a dozen or so horror stories of the authority figure waiting at the take out.

13. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    I have only canyoneered a handful of canyons in Zion as I loath the permit system BS, but I have done Pine Creek once and the gestapo was waiting on the road to see our papers. Of course I was still down at the swimming hole as some of our group were leaving and they ended up having to hike back down and get me to go up and prove that we were able to recreate on "their" land.

Been stopped once leaving Keyhole as well. Infuriating to have my wife and kids lined up and interrogated as he looks us and our permit over.

Neither time were they pleasant about it.

The only luck I have is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    At the Zion Rendezvous in '19 I had just rapped off Englestead with some friends and apparently 15 minutes later another group from the gathering arrived...mostly well mannered Mormon guys. Soon after they got there, a Ranger showed up with a young "ranger in training" and proceeded to ask for the permit with an attitude....
    FWIW - You don't need a permit for Englestead if you exit out the top as you're only inside the park for a short distance and none of it is technical.

I used to have this argument with Ranger Ray all the time when doing Kolob and out MIA as the creek is the boundary and I never stepped on the north side of the creek.

Pro Tip - don't flash canyoneering gear and try to look like a tourist whenever possible. It also helps I speak German so whenever I have to deal with a Ranger I just speak German and act like I don't understand English.... Hahaha...

16. Likes rockgremlin, Scott Card, devo_stevo liked this post
    I wish they would quit calling rangers, "Rangers". They are police officers. They carry guns. They detain you. Rangers are nice people who are helpful, educate you, and protect you. The rangers at Zion are much like the moto-cops with the sole purpose of catching you speeding. I believe the moto cops have more of a legitimate function than do the rangers as they are currently operating. I have been asked for my papers multiple times. I now put my paper permit in the bottom of my pack and after a day of swimming, in and out of water, etc., when asked for my permit I hand them a wadded up mess of soggy paper pulp. For some reason they have never appreciated that. Once a ranger told me I had to protect the permit. I smiled and snickered a bit and told them, "um, no I don't". I have asked them if they want a dry permit why they don't provide a dry bag. Again, they don't seem to appreciate that question. I also inform them that they can simple radio the back country desk and find me on file if they really want to know. After all, the soggy wad of paper is all I have to give them. I've been accused of cheating the system but never got a citation. After one particularly offensive encounter and me challenging this ranger for about 30 minutes as to his authority, his lack of probable cause to accuse me of something that I didn't do, and the stupidity of the permit system, the result has been that I haven't received a lotto permit since. I'm pretty sure I'm on some list. I am going to try the Iceaxe foreigner trick next time. I speak Portuguese.
    Life is Good

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    At the Zion Rendezvous in '19 I had just rapped off Englestead with some friends and apparently 15 minutes later another group from the gathering arrived...mostly well mannered Mormon guys. Soon after they got there, a Ranger showed up with a young "ranger in training" and proceeded to ask for the permit with an attitude...insisted he smelled marijuana and there were one too many there for the permit. They say he was a real jerk...it's a good thing I wasn't there...because if pot HADN'T been smoked (and I seriously doubt it was with those guys...and who the hell gets high before making a 300' rappel?) I would have reamed that Ranger up one side and down the other. Seriously...those that know me are nodding their heads.

I know the "Mormon" guys you speak of well. Some were my neighbors. The only thing in their blood stream that morning would have been pancakes, eggs, bacon and milk. I think I was assisting a group in Pine Creek on that day because when I got back to camp, I heard all about it. Byron, I really, really wish you and I would have been in that group. Knowing you and knowing my same propensity to get after constitutional violations by the government we would have been quite the tag team against these rangers.
    Life is Good

20. Likes Byron liked this post
    To be fair, I wouldn't go to Angel's Landing now if you you flew me there with a helicopter.
    I first ascended it in fall 1986 and last time on Christmas day 2006...both times we were alone, but I could see the big change looming by then.

Last time I hiked nearby was on the way up the west trail to Behunin in 2014.

ZNP and Springdale have become too popular for their own good; I wouldn't rush there to help those greedy buggars if the place got flooded by a flash flood.

The US NPS really need to smarten up and smell the coffee and stop the monetization of the natural resources.
    Rob

22. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I heard all about it. Byron, I really, really wish you and I would have been in that group. Knowing you and knowing my same propensity to get after constitutional violations by the government we would have been quite the tag team against these rangers.
    No kidding! That cop would have been sorry he walked up to that tree, that's for sure.

I don't mind them "doing their job"...but when I heard about the marijuana comment, it really upset me.