Thread: Home Theater Questions

Blog Entries

Home Theater Questions

Haven't posted for a while, as I have so much going on (married life, work, building a new house (3/4 done), biking (new Fezzari bike!), and canyoneering a bunch with my in-laws. Anywho I have some questions about speakers and crossover.

I have a 7.1 Onkyo surround system and it is budget constrained. If I had a million dollars...things would be obviously different. But for what they are the speakers sounds pretty good!

So my AVR (audio/video receiver) is the Onkyo TX-NR5100 and does 165 watts x7 channels.
    And all of the the speakers are Onkyo 750X (including the sub)

Here's the specs of the speakers:
    Subwoofer:
    Output: 290 Watts
    Frequency Response: 25 Hz to 150 Hz
    Driver: 10" cone

Front & Center:
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Input: 110 Watts
    Frequency Response: 60 Hz to 50 kHz (50,000 Hz)
    Crossover Frequency: 3 kHz (30,000 Hz)
    Driver: 2x 3 1/2" cone & 1x 1" balanced dome tweeter

Surround & Surround Back:
    Drivers: 1x 3 1/2" cone & 1x 1" balanced dome tweeter

So my question is, what would be good crossover settings for the aforementioned speakers?

Here is what it is right now:
    Front: 50Hz
    Center: 60Hz
    Surround: 80Hz
    Surround Back: 80Hz
    LFE: 120 Hz

Does that look okay?

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Haven't posted for a while, as I have so much going on (married life, work, building a new house (3/4 done), biking (new Fezzari bike!), and canyoneering a bunch with my in-laws. Anywho I have some questions about speakers and crossover.

I have a 7.1 Onkyo surround system and it is budget constrained. If I had a million dollars...things would be obviously different. But for what they are the speakers sounds pretty good!

So my AVR (audio/video receiver) is the Onkyo TX-NR5100 and does 165 watts x7 channels.
    And all of the the speakers are Onkyo 750X (including the sub)

Here's the specs of the speakers:
    Subwoofer:
    Output: 290 Watts
    Frequency Response: 25 Hz to 150 Hz
    Driver: 10" cone

Front & Center:
    Driver: 2x 3 1/2" cone & 1x 1" balanced dome tweeter

Surround & Surround Back:
    Drivers: 1x 3 1/2" cone & 1x 1" balanced dome tweeter

So my question is, what would be good crossover settings for the aforementioned speakers?

Here is what it is right now:
    Front: 50Hz
    Center: 60Hz
    Surround: 80Hz
    Surround Back: 80Hz
    LFE: 120 Hz

Does that look okay?

Thanks!
    Does that look OK?...the question is, how does it sound? I've got a nice surround setup in my place, too...all of it stuff from the late 80s and early 90s but it rocks my whole condo building, if I want it too...I've set the frequencies by ear and ear alone...I tend to be a bit bass heavy as I like it when the floor shakes. One thing you may have noticed is that these frequencies are gonna move around all over the place depending on the source material...sounds great with one movie but like crap with another. I have mine set to where it sounds fantastic with a recent BluRay and if I"m playing something not so modern I'll just live with it as it is or if I adjust anything, it's most likely the center channel only.

Somebody that's a geek with this stuff may be able to give you a more satisfactory answer...I just trust my ears.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

4. Likes rockgremlin, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Does that look OK?...the question is, how does it sound? I've got a nice surround setup in my place, too...all of it stuff from the late 80s and early 90s but it rocks my whole condo building, if I want it too...I've set the frequencies by ear and ear alone...I tend to be a bit bass heavy as I like it when the floor shakes. One thing you may have noticed is that these frequencies are gonna move around all over the place depending on the source material...sounds great with one movie but like crap with another. I have mine set to where it sounds fantastic with a recent BluRay and if I"m playing something not so modern I'll just live with it as it is or if I adjust anything, it's most likely the center channel only.

Somebody that's a geek with this stuff may be able to give you a more satisfactory answer...I just trust my ears.
    Thanks! I appreciate the input.

It sounds good so far and Home theaters are only as good as the source, so that will always be a significant limiting factor.

At first before I messed with the crossover settings everything sounded flat and just "not quite like the theater as I remembered", but then I tweaked the crossover settings to what I *think* is okay, and it made a black/white difference. Dialogue/center was a lot better as the frequency was set too high to something like 110 Hz. Same with other ones. Just had to lower them significantly, but not too low to damage the driver.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding and changing it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I have a similar home theater setup (Denon AVR-X4300H 9.2 running as 5.1 with bi-amped mains).

Have you used the AccuEQ yet? I'm curious what it will use for the Xover points.
    https://www.intl.onkyo.com/accueq/index.html

When I ran the Denon audio analyzer (Audyssey) I found the crossover points too low and the center channel way too harsh on upper-mid EQ; I raised the crossover points to about 100-110Hz for all speakers and leveled off the EQ across the board; I'm pretty happy with that, but I have to admit that my old Yamaha pre-HDMI receiver sounded much better.

The surrounds are probably dropping off around 80Hz now, so I suspect changing those won't matter much, but you might try upping the others by 10Hz.... walking away.. then coming back and see if that's more to your liking.

-Glenn

7. Likes jman liked this post