Thread: Circumnavigation of Fishtail Mesa. GCNP

Circumnavigation of Fishtail Mesa. GCNP

Been slacking the past few years and haven't visited bogley as much as I should. I have some catching up to do on trip reports.

In April 2019 I did a solo trip around Fishtail Mesa in Grand Canyon National Park. This is a very rarely visited part of the park. no trail, and water sources are sketchy at best. don't try it if it hasn't rained recently. The trip was 5 days and was a loop starting at Indian hollow trailhead and finishing by coming straight up indian hollow back to the car. Weather ws great, flowers were blooming and i manged to find plenty of water where i needed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images                         
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Some great shots in there, appreciate the report.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

this mesa - top of photo - taken from Kanab Point looking to the East?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Likes Scott Card, denaliguide liked this post
    that's the one.

Why Fishtail Mesa? Because no-one else visits it? OR what?

exactly. it's seldom visited, limited beta, remote, no trail, you have to hunt for water, requires experience and commitment. hard to find that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    exactly. it's seldom visited, limited beta, remote, no trail, you have to hunt for water, requires experience and commitment. hard to find that these days.
    Nice choice, Mr. Denaliguide. I've been around that mesa twice myself...once solo and again with two friends. When I was with Rita and Vince we found a grave under a big boulder/outcrop. It was rocks piled up like a coffin with sand and human bones inside. We figured it was cowboy because we also found bits and pieces of old leather. It was around the north end near Jumpup...I marked it on the map but the exact contour level would require some searching. There's a lot of cowboy "debris" along with Indian stuff all around the Esplanade. That picture you have of the pictographs is called "Ghost Rock"...right at the head of Cranberry Canyon, which is an adventure route to Deer Creek (George Steck Loop Hikes Grand Canyon).

Yep...wilderness solitude no doubt. I especially like the exit from Indian Hollow up the Coconino...you remember that, with the big tree? Now you have to do the Powell Plateau...I haven't done that one yet but I'll go with you if you're up for it.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Re: Powell Plateau - the road(s) to Swamp Point might be "interesting" , perhaps take a chainsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    Re: Powell Plateau - the road(s) to Swamp Point might be "interesting" , perhaps take a chainsaw?
    They're pretty good with keeping the roads clear up there but you may have to cut some trees if you're there really early in the spring. I always take a chainsaw but have only had to use it less than 5 times in dozens and dozens of trips all around the Aquarius Plateau. Nice campsite...Swamp Point and you can hike right over to the Powell Plateau and hike around on it. There's lots of ruins (on the ground, not in alcoves) and it's obvious that the animals hold sway over there as I've seen evidence of bear and cougar. If it had water it would be a backpacking destination unto itself.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

12. Likes oldno7, denaliguide liked this post