Thread: On This Day, 2007, Am Fork

On This Day, 2007, Am Fork

I had all my digital photo albums ported over to one drive when another host service died of death. One drive has an "On this day" feature popping up on my phone lately, looking back at photos taken that particular day. I might as well share some memories.

June 9th 2007

American Fork Canyon

Forrest Lake trail fence placement, and campsite cleanup below Mineral Basin,
    a service project with various off-road clubs I've belonged to, getting together with the USFS.
    Followed by some wheelin up the basin, which ended with my friend shearing his steering box bolts on the way back down.
    I recall I drove him down to a hardware store and back up in to Mineral Basin so ended up being a pretty long day.

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As an ex-owner of a 92 XJ and a 97 XJ, I approve of this thread, P.S. The KK Liberty (aka Cherokee), when lifted, is pretty darned good off road. Better than my XJs ever were.

5. Likes oldno7, xjblue liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    We've had a vehicle with us sheer off bolts on a steering box, way down hole in the rock trail.
    We chained it on and pulled it tight to frame with a come along, dang if it didn't hold long enough to get him out.
    No hardware stores close on that trip
    Great pics
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes xjblue liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    We've had a vehicle with us sheer off bolts on a steering box, way down hole in the rock trail.
    We chained it on and pulled it tight to frame with a come along, dang if it didn't hold long enough to get him out.
    No hardware stores close on that trip
    Great pics
    Wow, quite a trail repair. I know the experience of helping a buddy out of there, seized his 4:1 t-case just before the climb back out of the Chute. Another time we had three rigs ruin steering box bolts in Arch Canyon the day before we were all planning to head out on Hole In The Rock. After one noticed he had sheered one and stretched another bolt out at the end of the road, the two others donated one good bolt each to try and get him out. Big no-no as we all learned. I think it was Monticello that had a hardware store with just enough bolts to get all three rigs taken care of, but they all decided that was enough luck used up and chose to bail on doing HITR.

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    That looks like a challenging trail.

11. Likes xjblue liked this post
    On such trips the vehicles should be more than reliable. A friend of mine once drove a new Discovery 2020 (!) and almost had a car accident when the car's system had sort of malfunction. Now he is going to purchase another car. Even if he manages to sell his Discovery for a good price I guess that he will any way need to ask this firm for financial assistance.
    Last edited by Kenny West; 07-02-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

13. Likes xjblue liked this post