Thread: Backcountry guide dies after being mauled by grizzly bear outside Yellowstone

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Backcountry guide dies after being mauled by grizzly bear outside Yellowstone

A Montana backcountry guide has died after he was mauled by a large grizzly bear that was probably defending a nearby moose carcass just outside Yellowstone National Park, officials said Monday.
    Charles “Carl” Mock, 40, who lived in the park gateway community of West Yellowstone, died Saturday, two days after he was attacked while fishing alone in a forested area along the Madison River several miles north of West Yellowstone, Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Christine Koosman said.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/ba...national-park/
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very sad. During my college years I worked summers as a fly fishing guide in that area. Grizzly bears were a rarity and seldom a concern back then. Now, it is a different story and fishermen should always carry bear spray. Sorry this happened.

Pepper spray won't do shit to stop a Grizzly Bear. You need a 12ga shotgun to turn a charging Grizzly....

Montana Grizzly Bear Notice: In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Pepper spray won't do shit to stop a Grizzly Bear. You need a 12ga shotgun to turn a charging Grizzly....

Montana Grizzly Bear Notice: In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

The article states that the guy who died had pepper spray residue on his clothes so it was likely that he used it against the bear to no avail.

I think in the case of Grizzly bears pepper spray just pisses them off.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I think in the case of Grizzly bears pepper spray just pisses them off.

I think that's exactly what I said... only in a more flower version.