Thread: Dragon Eye Arch

Blog Entries

Dragon Eye Arch

It's been a while since I posted here. Life is just getting in the way I suppose.

Anyway, my brother posted this other day and thought it was too good not to share.

He said he found it on Google Earth and topo maps don't have a designation or name for it - so he named it himself ;)

I'm not sure where exactly in Moab, yet, and I'm sure he'll post the guide on his website later on, but for now - doesn't it make you want to go out and explore? It sure does for me!

https://youtu.be/W_cjylElvMU
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Glenn, rockgremlin, xjblue liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks very reminiscent of behind-the-rocks in Moab, but some parts also look like the north end of the Fiery Furnace.

I'm sure the arch has been documented somewhere, it's too darn big to have gone unnoticed this whole time.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 04-18-2021 at 01:45 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I have the waypoint of every arch in Utah that has been registered with the National Arch and Bridge Society. So if a waypoint becomes available I'll look it up.

I also found this arch on GE a while back. Accessing on foot looks pretty difficult, but maybe not impossible.

Blog Entries
    I gave my brother my 2500+ arches .gpx file and that arch isn't close to other ones. There other ones maybe 3/4 mile away.
    I also checked the GIS page of the Natural Arch and Bridge Society and they only list like 60 arches LOL. It's definitely not on that list. On GE, it's pretty well hidden for large it is.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

My NABS database only has about 80k arches in Utah, if someone wants to share the waypoint I'll check for ya, if not no skin off my ass...

Wow. That's pretty cool. That looks like a lot of fun to scout out a natural feature and area on a map, plan a route to get to it, and then spend a day exploring it and going on your own adventure out in the middle of nowhere, away from all other society, not a soul in site. That sounds like the perfect type of adventure and recreation idea for me.

Wait, is he in a National Park? Did he just pull out and fly his drone in an NP? (Just kidding. I couldn't care less if he's flying a drone in an NP).
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    might have better access from the south.

Nice video editing though...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

You came into the canyon from the east, I think if you come from the South you can gain the fin, then head West to the top of the arch, might require a bolt or 2

oops, You came in from Westish(rewatched your video), went to far North to access what I'm talking about.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

You can get to a little over 1 mile from arch on a very well used trail, likely the source of your other 2 hikers you encountered.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    My NABS database only has about 80k arches in Utah, if someone wants to share the waypoint I'll check for ya, if not no skin off my ass...
    80K? Geez! Is the threshold like 1 ft diameter?

But sure I'll send the GPS cords in a PM to ya. The reason my brother doesn't want it to make it public, yet, are the petroglyphs in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    You can get to a little over 1 mile from arch on a very well used trail, likely the source of your other 2 hikers you encountered.
    Or possibly canyoneers? There is a tech canyon in the area not too far from here.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Wow. That's pretty cool. That looks like a lot of fun to scout out a natural feature and area on a map, plan a route to get to it, and then spend a day exploring it and going on your own adventure out in the middle of nowhere, away from all other society, not a soul in site. That sounds like the perfect type of adventure and recreation idea for me.

Wait, is he in a National Park? Did he just pull out and fly his drone in an NP? (Just kidding. I couldn't care less if he's flying a drone in an NP).
    Yea, he loves that sense of adventure and that's what drives him to find more. Especially when it comes to mining and history.

And no, not a National park. The arch actually sits just south of Moab.

He spends a ton of time in Google Earth and going inch by inch looking around areas near springs, cliffs, and drainages. That's where most of his surprises and explorations come from. It's pretty cool when we have family dinners and he tells me about this recent adventures and hearing about how a creek flows into a wall and just disappears, or secret warm water geysers way outside of Yellowstone, mine and adit explorations in Nevada and the Wasatch Front (which he then looks at the local city recorder office for more info on the mines, etc.), petro and pictographs, ghost towns, etc. I wish I had as much free time as him to go do these things...

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

16. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Or possibly canyoneers? There is a tech canyon in the area not too far from here.

yup
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

80K? Geez! Is the threshold like 1 ft diameter?

But sure I'll send the GPS cords in a PM to ya. The reason my brother doesn't want it to make it public, yet, are the petroglyphs in the area.

I'll have to check their parameters but I think the opening has to be 3' in one direction and anything in the small direction, so yeah... it's filled with a lot of worthless crap... like a 3' arch with a 6" opening.

...mine and adit explorations in Nevada and the Wasatch Front (which he then looks at the local city recorder office for more info on the mines, etc.), petro and pictographs, ghost towns, etc.

I actually follow several folks on Youtube that post this stuff. They go waaaaaay back into the depths of mines throughout California, Arizona, and Nevada and post what they find. It's fascinating stuff -- at least to nerds like me who are into mining and mining history.

Does he post on Youtube?
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 04-21-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Cleft for me.....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I actually follow several folks on Youtube that post this stuff. They go waaaaaay back into the depths of mines throughout California, Arizona, and Nevada and post what they find. It's fascinating stuff -- at least to nerds like me who are into mining and mining history.

Does he post on Youtube?
    What channels? I subscribe to a bunch too and would love to see what others follow.

Yeah, the video is from his YouTube channel - The Trek Planner.

And then if you look at his website: www.thetrekplanner.com and search under Mining, you will see all of his posts and research on various mines.

Didn't you work in mining in Moab for awhile, right?

"SEND IT, BRO!!"