Thread: Life in Lockdown 2021 in the UK

Life in Lockdown 2021 in the UK

Posted by a friend in exasperation!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That was "bloody brilliant" if I do say so myself. Thanks for sharing.

4. Likes Rob L liked this post
    The British version of the Osmonds.

They sound great!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around places that are still in harsh lockdowns. Since the end of April the only change in my life is that I wear a mask when in stores and I can't go see the Utes or Jazz.

Maybe I am a selfish prick, but I go to restaurants as much as ever (with no waits), ski 3-4 times a week, my kids are in school, and we will have our first baseball tournament of the year this weekend. My kids play with their friends and didn't miss any sports seasons in the last year. Are people really just cool with their kids losing a year of childhood? What exactly is the end game here for these places? Have we thought about what a year + of social isolation is doing to kids? Now we have a bunch of school districts saying they may not even open for in person teaching this fall??? WTF? School closures are probably the most regressive of school policies. Annoyances for rich kids, and devastating for poor kids. It's time to pull a Reagan on these unions and crush them. If you're a teacher under 55, you have two choices: show up for school on Monday or lost your license.

I apologize for the rant.
    Thanos was right

7. Likes rockgremlin, devo_stevo, Byron liked this post
    Ah, the Brits. Keep calm, carry on and do as you're told.

Back in March when it first happened, I figured the "lockdown" might actually be a good thing for so many people. Parents now had time to be with the kids they complained about not seeing enough of, those that run around like crazy chickens would be forced to tap the brakes a bit, other folks would use the time to get in shape (indeed, there were a lot more people out jogging and getting outdoors) and overall I thought it would be a nice little "vacation" for everyone. I wholeheartedly expected it to last two months at the most.

But we saw what happened...it grew like a cancer. The leaders hopscotching each other one after another with restrictions to avoid being the pariah and the people who could least afford an "extended break" being brought to their knees. What a tragedy...the very definition of the word clusterf*ck.

And what bothers me most about this is that not one of us can make a move until the powers that be grant permission...with threats of fines or jail if you disobey. I'll fight against that all day long...and I pity those that lay down and take it.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Are people really just cool with their kids losing a year of childhood?

YES.

I have a sister-in-law who lives in SLC and she hasn't let her kids attend public school or play with friends in person since Covid began.

Surprising? Not really. Her husband and her in-laws are all die hard Democrats.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    It's hard for me to wrap my head around places that are still in harsh lockdowns. Since the end of April the only change in my life is that I wear a mask when in stores and I can't go see the Utes or Jazz.

Maybe I am a selfish prick, but I go to restaurants as much as ever (with no waits), ski 3-4 times a week, my kids are in school, and we will have our first baseball tournament of the year this weekend. My kids play with their friends, it is awesome and didn't miss any sports seasons in the last year. Are people really just cool with their kids losing a year of childhood? What exactly is the end game here for these places? Have we thought about what a year + of social isolation is doing to kids? Now we have a bunch of school districts saying they may not even open for in person teaching this fall??? WTF? School closures are probably the most regressive of school policies. Annoyances for rich kids, and devastating for poor kids. It's time to pull a Reagan on these unions and crush them. If you're a teacher under 55, you have two choices: show up for school on Monday or lost your license.

I apologize for the rant.
    My friends from London were facing the same issue. Either go self-isolating or live their normal life as before and they also chose the second option. After so much time pased I can confidently say that they don't regret at all They didn't want the kids to lose a whole year of childhood either. At first they were scared as for the consequences but eventually the longer the pandemic was going the more patient they were getting about that.